Author Topic: We Need New Polls  (Read 2497 times)

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
We Need New Polls
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
Tyrex pointed this out, but he was ignored. The fucked up poll that was created by Top Hat broke a cardinal rule of polling, which is that you don't let people view results before voting. While you could not see results before voting, you could change your vote. This has the same effect as letting people view results before voting. It is psychologically and statistically proven that the knowledge of results at the time of voting unfairly influences and skews poll results. This is why, for instance, it is illegal in many countries for news agencies to release exit polls during elections before the polls result.

You could argue that the final poll, where you couldn't change your vote, is still valid, but the options for those derived from the first poll. The skew caused by this mistake could have been enough to change the options on the final poll, since some options only won by a vote or two.

Also, as some people including Statua did not even previously realize, HL2RP City was conveniently left off the poll, assumed to be a failure despite the downfall of HL2RP last time simply having been an untimely mapchange and a number of attacks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:42:12 PM by Ricky »
Live free or die

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: We Need New Polls
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
What makes me mad is that I posted in one of the HL2RP threads that I would make a poll on Sunday to give people more time to suggest gamemodes, this post being on a Saturday.  Later on that Saturday I noticed THC posted a poll without even consulting me or anything.  Not only did he do this, but he just fucked up the poll so badly.

Edit 1: For the following, call me elitist, warn me, ban me, I really don't care:  I also wanted the poll to remain in the HL2RP forum so non-seriousRPers such as, (and I have nothing against these people I just don't believe their opinion is worth much when it comes to serious roleplay) Bish, Royal, some other people that I'm too lazy to look for.  This way it wouldn't get skewed.  Call me crazy that I want people that actually PLAY serious roleplay to decide where our serious RP server would be headed.  I wouldn't want a random guy from Iraq voting on American domestic issues without doing any research or anything.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:47:40 PM by Tyrex »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: We Need New Polls
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:41 PM »
Actually I fucked up the poll. I changed it so you could choose the gamemodes you wanted to see but I left change vote on in case we added anything (which we did, metro 20133) and forgot to disable show votes. Originally THC set it up so you could only choose one of the 13 options which made no sense at all for a preliminary vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal