Author Topic: Is this computer specification okay?  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Sambolinski

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Is this computer specification okay?
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
So I'm getting a new computer and I was just wondering if this is fine. If anything doesn't look right then please tell me.

Inter Core i7 Quad Core i7-4790k (4Ghz)
ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)                                     
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
CORSAIR 850W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

So, does everything look okay? When checking it said that 650W was higher than what was needed. Should I keep the 650W just to be sure?
Also, I'm not so sure whether to use get the SSD.

I would appreciate any replies.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:31:52 PM by Sambolinski »

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is this computer specification okay?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
I myself use a 750W power supply and most of my specs are similar, or a little bit worse. But with your specs, I would keep that 650W minimum. (Whoever says it is more than needed is bullshitting)

1TB HDD space seems a bit low though. These days games take up a fuckload of space (specially from steam) so I would really recommend to change that to 2TB or maybe even 3TB (Although that would be overkill unless you need a lot of space for recording raw footage or something)

And are you only going to use your PC for gaming and nothing more? Then 8GB ram would be just about enough. But if you are planning to do other things such as recording/editting/rendering, I would really go for 16GB ram. Specially because the rest of your parts are really good too, so why bottleneck on ram? It's cheap and it gives a huge improvement.

Spec-wise I would say it looks like a true beast of a machine. I don't know if everything is compatible with each other though. I'm not to experienced with that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:09:02 AM by Nicknero1405 »
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Sambolinski

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
I myself use a 750W power supply and most of my specs are similar, or a little bit worse. But with your specs, I would keep that 650W minimum. (Whoever says it is more than needed is bullshitting)

1TB HDD space seems a bit low though. These days games take up a fuckload of space (specially from steam) so I would really recommend to change that to 2TB or maybe even 3TB (Although that would be overkill unless you need a lot of space for recording raw footage or something)

And are you only going to use your PC for gaming and nothing more? Then 8GB ram would be just about enough. But if you are planning to do other things such as recording/editting/rendering, I would really go for 16GB ram. Specially because the rest of your parts are really good too, so why bottleneck on ram? It's cheap and it gives a huge improvement.

Spec-wise I would say it looks like a true beast of a machine. I don't know if everything is compatible with each other though. I'm not to experienced with that.

Thanks for the advice! I've upgraded to 16GB and gone for 750W. The only problem is that if I increase it to 2TB then I'm slightly over budget. Should I get rid of the SSD and get the 2TB?

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »
1TB is fine, just dont overload it with a stupid amount of games, and just delete the ones you've finished playing and shit to save space

also i'd say keep the SSD, i'd love to have one when i get the money to afford a decent sized one and the speeds are insane on them. you could install your OS onto it and any other programs then use the HDD almost exclusively for games

also 16GB RAM is a waste for gaming, 8GB is the most you should really have atm since not every game is still taking advantage of 64-bit executables

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
Don't skimp on your PSU. With all of the money you are putting into this PC you should get a good PSU. I got myself a 750W 80+ Gold and it's good.

If you have the money, go fucking nuts. I had the money to buy a better PC but I am cheap so I didn't and now I kinda regret it. My PC is OK but not as good as I could have made it for the money I had.

Oh, and get yourself a surge protected 8 or 4-gang trailing socket just in case. My house is shit and shuts off the power if too much is being utilised and that can seriously damage your fucking shit! >.<
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Sambolinski

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
Don't skimp on your PSU. With all of the money you are putting into this PC you should get a good PSU. I got myself a 750W 80+ Gold and it's good.

If you have the money, go fucking nuts. I had the money to buy a better PC but I am cheap so I didn't and now I kinda regret it. My PC is OK but not as good as I could have made it for the money I had.

Oh, and get yourself a surge protected 8 or 4-gang trailing socket just in case. My house is shit and shuts off the power if too much is being utilised and that can seriously damage your fucking shit! >.<

I had about £900 to play around with. I'm not using an SSD any more, I might in the future when I get more money.
I am also using 850W and 16GB of RAM.
I'll update the op.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »

I had about £900 to play around with. I'm not using an SSD any more, I might in the future when I get more money.
I'll update the op.

are you actually going to be using that 16GB for anything other than gaming because the only time i've ever seen my RAM go up to full usage is rendering full HD images (maya) and videos, otherwise you might as well save money, get 8GB RAM and improve something else too

Offline Sambolinski

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »

I'll update the op.

are you actually going to be using that 16GB for anything other than gaming because the only time i've ever seen my RAM go up to full usage is rendering full HD images (maya) and videos, otherwise you might as well save money, get 8GB RAM and improve something else too

I'm not just using to for gaming. I'm working on making a new animation. My previous ones(Link) were never that detailed because of my laptop. I will be able to make more detailed models and hopefully get better quality videos.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
Ram is cheap as fuck. So it's not really a debate to save money by getting 8GB instead of 16GB. Because you would save a mere 15-30 dollars or something. I forgot the exact price for ram.

Having an SSD is amazing too, but they are pretty expensive. If you choose to get one, be smart and only install your OS and a FEW programs that you would use a lot. Keep all of your games on your HDD, and you should be fine.
If you don't want to get an SSD after all due to their price, you might want to consider getting either a second HDD to replace it, or split up your one HDD into more partitions to keep your OS and all other software/games separated. This is because if your PC ever gets a fatal error and you are forced to reinstall windows, you won't lose all your saved games/software that you forgot to back up.
It's just smart to keep your OS and other software separated.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
Ram is cheap as fuck. So it's not really a debate to save money by getting 8GB instead of 16GB. Because you would save a mere 15-30 dollars or something. I forgot the exact price for ram.

more like for 8GB RAM running at 1600Mhz its like £60-70 and double that for 16GB, which is like coming close to $100 if converted for 8GB

i really dont get why people think RAM is really cheap these days, DDR3 prices have gone way up since i got my 8GB RAM back in 2011

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »

more like for 8GB RAM running at 1600Mhz its like £60-70 and double that for 16GB, which is like coming close to $100 if converted for 8GB

i really dont get why people think RAM is really cheap these days, DDR3 prices have gone way up since i got my 8GB RAM back in 2011
Agreed. RAM is not cheap. I just looked and some 16 gig Corsair Vengeance RAM is £130.50 which is $210.48 US and 165.61 Euro's.

Atm prices seem to be hovering at £120 - £160 for 16 gig DDR3.

If you're really serious about a PC that will last you for a good 3 - 5 years (with a little modding along the way, naturally) I would consider saving up a little more. I got mine for around £800 and it is decent enough to last me a few years imo. Maybe wait until you have £1000 - £1200 and really bump your specs up? I am by NO MEANS an expert or even close in these matters. All I am going off is my previous experience of being a huge fucking cheapskate and getting dissapointed >.<
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »

Agreed. RAM is not cheap. I just looked and some 16 gig Corsair Vengeance RAM is £130.50 which is $210.48 US and 165.61 Euro's.

Atm prices seem to be hovering at £120 - £160 for 16 gig DDR3.

If you're really serious about a PC that will last you for a good 3 - 5 years (with a little modding along the way, naturally) I would consider saving up a little more. I got mine for around £800 and it is decent enough to last me a few years imo. Maybe wait until you have £1000 - £1200 and really bump your specs up? I am by NO MEANS an expert or even close in these matters. All I am going off is my previous experience of being a huge fucking cheapskate and getting dissapointed >.<

or if you really want a future proof PC with RAM included in that proofing, get DDR4 motherboard and RAM

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
You could also get an i5 instead of an i7 if you want to. Unless you're doing really cpu-intensive work (like, not gaming), there really is no point in paying extra for an i7 when the main difference is hyper-threading. A high-end i5 can handle regular things like gaming just as well, just make sure you still get a high clock & four cores.

I can recommend the i5-4670k.

and no you can do with 1TB if you're half-decent at cleaning your pc every now and then. I've used this 1TB disk for quite a few years now and I still have 200GB left, and I don't think I've ever really cleaned up thoroughly. Unless you do do a lot of recording or something, but if not..

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
your system is rlly killin' it with everything but your gpu. you should really look into getting a better gpu, not the 760. everything is on point but man, if youre gunna be spending it up, dont shy away from getting a beast cpu. tbh most games dont rlly run that hard on your cpu. i myself have the i5-650 which is rlly shitty yet i can run games like shadow of mordor at max settings with above and beyond 120 fps. only game i struggle with is arma but besides that i can p much run anygame at ultra settings w/ 1080p 60fps with my gtx 780 ti.

dont listen to these scrubs and their 1tb hdd

we all know how awesome it is to have your entire steam library downloaded at once and a few movies
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:27:01 PM by Cow 8-) »
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

dont listen to these scrubs and their 1tb hdd

we all know how awesome it is to have your entire steam library downloaded at once and a few movies

Or have your entire Youtube library backed up including source files of the latest LP taking up about 2 out of 3TB of my external HDD.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal