Author Topic: Make spamming "Populate server" punishable  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Make spamming "Populate server" punishable
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »
It is incredibly annoying to look at the shoutbox to see "populate servername" a thousand times in a short period of time. While spam itself is against the rules, people seem to take this as not spamming and it should be enforced as a sub-rule to the spamming rule. People only need to do this once at maximum, spamming it just deters people away because of how annoying it is. If people want to play on the server, they will play on it, not if they are being told to or even spammed to do so.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Make spamming "Populate server" punishable
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
I must agree with this. We never had to do it in the past to get people to join. Just look at the server number and decide for yourself. Spamming populate is basically beating a dead horse.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
I am in accordance with all things said above.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
Populate this suggestion

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
I honestly don't have a problem with it.  I can see it being used once to let people know that people are playing, no reason to say it repeatedly in a short interval though.  However, I don't understand how it could be annoying enough to make a suggestion to get it restricted.  It's .5 s that you're looking at it, even less if you just see "populate" and ignore it.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
I honestly don't have a problem with it.  I can see it being used once to let people know that people are playing, no reason to say it repeatedly in a short interval though.  However, I don't understand how it could be annoying enough to make a suggestion to get it restricted.  It's .5 s that you're looking at it, even less if you just see "populate" and ignore it.
The problem is when people flood the shoutbox with it.

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
I know you guys are talking about me saying "populate HL2RP" in Shoutbox, so lemme defend myself here; I'm not "flooding" shoutbox with it, I'm saying it maybe once every half-hour, and I've not seen either of you (Abbott and Hazard) even attempt to get server population up, so...
READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
I know you guys are talking about me saying "populate HL2RP" in Shoutbox, so lemme defend myself here; I'm not "flooding" shoutbox with it, I'm saying it maybe once every half-hour, and I've not seen either of you (Abbott and Hazard) even attempt to get server population up, so...
Considering I had to say "stop spamming' the other day because the shoutbox was being flooded with all the "populate hl2rp" comments and "hrp sucks, join hl2rp", to the point it was cutting off conversations, I think something needs to be done about that. It's really quite annoying and its good you guys are trying to get the population up, but saying "populate hl2rp" over and over again in the shoutbox is the wrong way to do it.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

The reason why I don't attempt to get server population up is because I'm simply done with HL2RP.  I could supply reasons why, but that would start a rant which would not only drag this thread off topic, but would inspire even more drama.

Back on topic, why do you seem to think you are the only person who does this?  There are plenty of others (who know who they are) who are spamming the shoutbox with similar messages, so please cut down on the defensive attitude.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »

i havent been playing gmod for a while full stop, been having more fun on other games and also mixed into that i have college work to do which must be done within the next few weeks, and gmod only causes more stress because rp gamemodes are just full of drama which is not what i need atm

however its still incredibly annoying to see people spamming "populate server", it honestly needs to be enforced because even if you are trying to do something good, its still breaking the spamming rule

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
I think there should be a limit on how many times you can say it within an hour(perhaps once or twice) and if you break that rule, you get warned.

Blam, problem fixed. No more spamming.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal