Author Topic: Forum upgrade.  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Forum upgrade.
« on: April 03, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
Not saying the current forum layout is bad or anything.  But why not change up the visuals a little? Spruce it up and make it look a lot cleaner.  Ideas? 
For The Social Republic Of The Soviet Union

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Forum upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
why dont you give us actual ideas on how we could "spruce it up" lol

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
I agree it'd be nice to switch to a new forum design or even to a whole new forum software as there are numerous forum systems that look better and offer very nice features, but there's a lot of work connected with changing the forum system as pretty much all the game servers rely on it. Some layouts and systems also have a few issues with licensing.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »
Waffle can barely afford to pay for the servers, much less pay me to do anything major to the forum. Vote with your wallet.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
Please no.

We are humans. Humans hate change. Just look at every single Youtube layout change and watch the internet explode with QQ.
This forum is so good because it WORKS. We have so many custom things and SMF is just a good forum engine.

Another forum I used to visit was using VB. And that is just beyond terrible. Their forums were constantly down, not loading, or just loading for ages, or many other dumb bugs. Not sure because VB is just shit, or their dev team existed out of untrained monkeys.

But I suggested them to use SMF. Simply because it is awesome. So why change if what we have is already perfect?
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
VBulletin is amazing and we would have loved to use it if we had the money for licensing when we started, but we didn't so we went with the free alternative. Those whose VB websites go down don't know how to manage it. VB is a fantastic platform with far better support than SMF.

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
SMF is a heap of shit compared to vBulletin - take a look at the changelogs between the two for beginners

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »
Please no.

We are humans. Humans hate change. Just look at every single Youtube layout change and watch the internet explode with QQ.
This forum is so good because it WORKS. We have so many custom things and SMF is just a good forum engine.

Another forum I used to visit was using VB. And that is just beyond terrible. Their forums were constantly down, not loading, or just loading for ages, or many other dumb bugs. Not sure because VB is just shit, or their dev team existed out of untrained monkeys.

But I suggested them to use SMF. Simply because it is awesome. So why change if what we have is already perfect?
  I'm not talking about COMPLETE change.  Just visual.  It could use a bit of cleaning and possible color correction in some areas.  But yes, there are some things that could be added..  Idk what they are though. :P

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
Personally I think SMF works fine but if there is a legitimately better forum software then use it, assuming we have the funds and developers willing to do it.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »
Can we add a thing on the forum that shows what the highest amount of money people have ever had on one of the servers?  Like, say it shows the highest amount I have ever had on HRP at one time.  But once hit, it does not move unless surpassed again.  This only shows how much you had at one time and would not cause Meta seeing as how it will stay unless you move past.

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
I vote we change the logo so it actually has the letter C in it instead of one giant dumb G.

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
I vote we change the logo so it actually has the letter C in it instead of one giant dumb G.

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »

Where's the logo that goes with this because if I'm honest Rofl's avi is probably the nicest version I've seen :c

Saying that though, sure VB would be a nice upgrade but I'm all for changing up the color scheme design of the forums and such for CG. It's been this way since it's birth and who's to say that a fresh and updated look would harm anything?
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
Grey-and-red to grey-and-blue?
READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
Grey-and-red to grey-and-blue?

wouldnt look right to switch to blue imo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal