Author Topic: Random items spawn in the environment.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Jeff

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Random items spawn in the environment.
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »
This would encourage exploration. Allowing more things for players to do while RP is slow. Plus adding useful items like guns or marijuana seeds could add more elements to role-play. Give something for a CP to actually have to confiscate from you. Another thing is you can add some sort of underground currency. Drugs sounds fittings. Hence finding seeds scattered throughout the map.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Random items spawn in the environment.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:20:26 PM »
This would encourage exploration. Allowing more things for players to do while RP is slow. Plus adding useful items like guns or marijuana seeds could add more elements to role-play. Give something for a CP to actually have to confiscate from you. Another thing is you can add some sort of underground currency. Drugs sounds fittings. Hence finding seeds scattered throughout the map.

Lolno, you're funny, mate. One does not simply walk down the street and find a gun irl like in the US where guns are actually legal. Why would a gun just be lying in the street like an old newspaper in a totalitarian police state where that kind of stuff is 100% absolutely illegal? Anyway, if you look hard enough, you can find things around the map from time to time. I've found radios and paracetamols plenty of times. Good things come to those who wait.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:40:49 PM »
Oh dear god no. We've had this suggested before I believe, and it was denied for a main reason. That being it is easily farm-able. The idea of random is basically setting a point which allows an item to spawn there every X minutes/hours. So the idea is someone could easily just come back there over, and over then just farm away. This is sorta something that i'd like to avoid personally. So, sorreh but -Support.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Jeff

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
What's so bad about farming? plenty of other games do this. you could make it so you have to put effort into obtain whatever item it is.
The weapons don't need to be spawned strewn around the map. Add some sort of RP to it. Say you discover a hidden cache of smuggled in firearms.
Make valuable items super rare.
Devise RP related events for the items to become available.

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
Yeah, but this gamemode isn't suppose to be about gathering items, and weapons. You don't need them to RP, and presuming you've tried the server you answered a question that asks you do you need items to RP. Farming is really annoying, and sorta gives an unfair advantage. As for putting effort into getting an item well thats what it is right now. It isn't that hard to go down to one of the many citizen/CWU owned shops, and buy a few things. As for guns, and other heavy duty stuff like that you can gain through RP. If you want a gun try your luck, and mug a unit. If you don't like the idea of violence, and being chased down by OTA then try to buy a gun off somone. We don't really need random drops all over the place.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:48:20 AM »
What's so bad about farming? plenty of other games do this. you could make it so you have to put effort into obtain whatever item it is.
The weapons don't need to be spawned strewn around the map. Add some sort of RP to it. Say you discover a hidden cache of smuggled in firearms.
Make valuable items super rare.
Devise RP related events for the items to become available.

What you described is not farming; in fact, you basically contradicted yourself.

Item farming has no place in a serious RP environment.  If people want weapons, they need to work for them in an IC fashion.  In a police state where the civil authority probably has microphones/cameras in every public area, smuggling in weapons would be incredibly risky business, and expecting to find one lying in a pile of junk somewhere in the slums is wishful thinking.  In this situation, all guns, even those in disrepair, would be hoarded and valued as prized possessions.  I can see item drops happening when/if Outlands comes up, but armed citizens have little to no place being in the city.

Offline Jeff

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:12:14 AM »
Can't argue with that. I guess i was thinking more along the lines of hl2 city 17. They have resistance members that have set up an active railroad system to help citizens escape. Despite the tight grip of the combine.
Smuggling in items would be relatively easy for them.
Guess not for us.

Also a question. According to FearRP you need a weapon to mug someone. Where would you get the weapon if you are mugging a cp for a weapon. Where do the people that set up shops that sell guns get the guns??

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:15:36 AM »
Can't argue with that. I guess i was thinking more along the lines of hl2 city 17. They have resistance members that have set up an active railroad system to help citizens escape. Despite the tight grip of the combine.
Smuggling in items would be relatively easy for them.
Guess not for us.

Also a question. According to FearRP you need a weapon to mug someone. Where would you get the weapon if you are mugging a cp for a weapon. Where do the people that set up shops that sell guns get the guns??

You improvise.  Make a blade from a piece of metal, a club from a pipe, etc.  Use your imagination!

Offline Jeff

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
Yeah i could see that happen. Wasn't sure if you needed something to show for it or what.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
Yeah i could see that happen. Wasn't sure if you needed something to show for it or what.

If you can show an admin the RP that you did to make the weapon, you won't need to make an auth app.  Otherwise, you will need an application.

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »
Civilian RP isn't about finding dangerous items. CPs have no need to find items. Rebels find legitimate ways to find what they need.
This isn't Metro RP where items are necessary.

- Support

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 03:00:36 AM »
i think this would be okay for outlands considering there is no definite timer for items to spawn on and you can set a minimum time and a maximum time (eg 1 hour and 270 hours and items would spawn anytime between that) but not so much for a city server

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »
i think this would be okay for outlands considering there is no definite timer for items to spawn on and you can set a minimum time and a maximum time (eg 1 hour and 270 hours and items would spawn anytime between that) but not so much for a city server
we used to have it on outlands for standard items and pistols and that, but it holds no place for the city.
what

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
It's great for outlands where you can explore vast landscape. It's terrible for city though. Too small.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal