Author Topic: My theories on MLP and other ramblings  (Read 7435 times)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My theories on MLP and other ramblings
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »
So I have this theroy as to why MLP became so popular amongst grown men, and I'd like to share it with everyone and so I can know what they think and we can dicuss it.

MLP was designed to be a show for little girls(I couldn't imagine older than 10) to enjoy. It fits pretty much every aspect of it being a good show for the targeted audience, as let's be real, many young girls like ponies and pink with rainbows and all that stuff. So my theory is that a group of individuals wanted to basically troll everyone by creating a fan base made up of grown/older men. If then became so large that people began to think they were being serious and decided to bandwagon onto the show. One only has to look at Justin Beiber, so many people hate him just because it's a bandwagon to. He's a very successful individual, which many people like his music. Same with Miley Cyrus, she really doesn't make THAT BAD of music, but people just hate because they can. She's made herself extremely well known for the things that she's been doing recently, which is what I think the aim of her PR team was trying to do. Anyways back on topic, so people just bandwagoned onto the show and thought it was serious, and it now stands as a widly known show in today's...what could you call it...social environment/media?
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My theories on MLP and other ramblings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
  • Anything Unimportant! If it doesn't matter, it isn't worth debating.

Don't know how a person's opinion on Bronies is relevant. This should be in social discussion, not Table Talk.

Bronies are only a problen for those who violently hate them. It's pretty easy to just ignore them.
READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »
Social Discussion is for life shit. MLP isnt life. It's still the internet. Table talk is a fine spot for it.

Idk what the MLP thing is about. I watched it with my ex. That was about all I ever did with regards to it. I see it now and think "why did I watch that again?"

Your analogy about the Miley Cyrus thing might be right. The Beibz thing isnt. Beibz is one of the biggest douchebags ever. Sure his music isnt that bad but he's a bigger douche then Kanye West.

But this is about MLP so yeah. I think your theory may be right. I'm sure if you googled it, you'd find the answer lol.

Offline Channy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
I think you're right. Also what's glorious is that everyone's bandwaggoning MLP, which is the exact opposite intention that the whole MLP craze started.
ok

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
mlp 100% started off as a troll fanbase but then people actually liked it and the writers started adding a "side script" (idk what the term is??) with more jokes aimed for the new fans along side the pink and sparkly side of everything, they happened pretty close to eachother so now people get both sides of it and they just like it i guess

people hating on people watching mlp is pretty stupid cos everyone likes something that other people dont like, i just cant stand when people slap it in their avatars and signatures and non-stop talk about it - when you let a show you're a fan of seep into your real life and your behaviour and you let it change you that's when it's a real issue

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
people hating on people watching mlp is pretty stupid cos everyone likes something that other people dont like, i just cant stand when people slap it in their avatars and signatures and non-stop talk about it - when you let a show you're a fan of seep into your real life and your behaviour and you let it change you that's when it's a real issue

I couldn't agree with you any more. This is 100% accurate.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »

I think theres a guy at this community like this, but really I forgot what his name and appearance is!

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »

I think theres a guy at this community like this, but really I forgot what his name and appearance is!

There's more than one.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
Lol, about time I got involved in this.

So yeah, I can agree with a lot of the things said in this thread.  For example, it is 100% true that the first generation of bronies were trolls.  The brony fandom officially originated on 4Chan with /b/tards who invaded every board they came upon and spammed it with pony pics.  While that may have been a legitimate reason to hate bronies then, now the general population of bronies has expanded to include a moderate majority.

The vast majority of bronies "joined the herd" in much the same way:  We were originally on the brony hate bandwagon and rode it until we actually came upon members of the fandom who didn't want to shove their culture down our throats.  Disillusioned and perplexed, it was only a matter of time before we began to wonder why people actually hate bronies so much.  We started doing research into their culture and eventually watched the cartoon itself, and that's where I got hooked.

Contrary to popular belief, (most) bronies don't watch the show because of the finely-sculpted flanks or issues with sexual identity.  When I first watched the show, I was quite amazed at the depth of the characters as well as the voice acting, animation, and witty dialogue.  It did not, and still does not feel like, a kid show in the sense that it only makes sense to children who have an underdeveloped sense of humor (*cough* Spongebob *cough*).  In the past, the writers have made extensive uses of complex symbolism, character development, and even references to pop culture that children would obviously never understand.  Hell, in the new episode one week back, they had a reference to Hunter S. Thompson and 300.  Lauren Faust, who created MLP as well as Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls", intended the show to have cross-generational appeal because she wanted the parents to be as entertained as the kids.  What neither she nor anyone else in the cast or crew could have predicted was the progenation of Bronies and Pegasisters.  In fact, John DeLancie, who voiced the MLP villain Discord who's character was heavily based off of his former role as Q from Star Trek, was so perplexed that he made a documentary.  This sums up the fandom in a nutshell:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-OF9wZWDs

Also, I'm not sure whether Smt was hinting at me or not, but I have recently been making attempts to keep my culture to myself.  Of course, it gets tempting when Abbott is free to talk about Kill La Kill nonstop and post anime videos and no one gets on him about it  :P  I will make the concession, though, that there are stereotypical bronies out there, because I knew one.  He was in my senior year english class, and he was a brony hater's wet dream.  It became obvious that his favorite pony was Fluttershy, and he made sure everyone knew it.  His binder was plastered with pictures of her and he had a Fluttershy doll on a keychain from his backpack.  Once a week he wore his Fluttershy fan shirt and one time he even came in with Fluttershy's cutie mark painted on his cheek.  His worst moment was the last day of school when our teacher was compiling a playlist of motivational youtube movies to see us off.  That little bastard nominated a pony vid and got it accepted.  Even as a brony now, that is still something that makes me cringe.

In conclusion, yes, I am a brony, but I don't intend to spread my culture by shoving it down everyone's throats.  If you knew me in real life, you would never think I'm a brony because I don't advertise it as openly as I do on the internet.  If you want to join the herd, I'll let you do that of your own accord.  Of course, it's always fun watching grown men flip their shits when they see a cartoon pony  :P

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
I'm not sure whether Smt was hinting at me or not

no - i mean u do have avatar/sig but idk your not obnoxious about it, if you inserted a brony reference into every other word it'd be different

Of course, it gets tempting when Abbott is free to talk about Kill La Kill nonstop and post anime videos and no one gets on him about it  :P

a lot of shouting about anime is just as weird but i guess at the same time im more accepting because so is everyone else (if all of asia was into mlp im sure it would be less hated)

It became obvious that his favorite pony was Fluttershy, and he made sure everyone knew it.  His binder was plastered with pictures of her and he had a Fluttershy doll on a keychain from his backpack.  Once a week he wore his Fluttershy fan shirt and one time he even came in with Fluttershy's cutie mark painted on his cheek.

this is just the example of someone using it as an escape and a thing to identity with irl when they have nothing else to use in a social sense and it's when its a "problem" (not mlp specifically but the fact someone needs to identity with a certain group, even the classic like, bundling everyone into group based on how they dress and their music is just as bad imo)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Lol, about time I got involved in this.

So yeah, I can agree with a lot of the things said in this thread.  For example, it is 100% true that the first generation of bronies were trolls.  The brony fandom officially originated on 4Chan with /b/tards who invaded every board they came upon and spammed it with pony pics.  While that may have been a legitimate reason to hate bronies then, now the general population of bronies has expanded to include a moderate majority.

The vast majority of bronies "joined the herd" in much the same way:  We were originally on the brony hate bandwagon and rode it until we actually came upon members of the fandom who didn't want to shove their culture down our throats.  Disillusioned and perplexed, it was only a matter of time before we began to wonder why people actually hate bronies so much.  We started doing research into their culture and eventually watched the cartoon itself, and that's where I got hooked.

Contrary to popular belief, (most) bronies don't watch the show because of the finely-sculpted flanks or issues with sexual identity.  When I first watched the show, I was quite amazed at the depth of the characters as well as the voice acting, animation, and witty dialogue.  It did not, and still does not feel like, a kid show in the sense that it only makes sense to children who have an underdeveloped sense of humor (*cough* Spongebob *cough*).  In the past, the writers have made extensive uses of complex symbolism, character development, and even references to pop culture that children would obviously never understand.  Hell, in the new episode one week back, they had a reference to Hunter S. Thompson and 300.  Lauren Faust, who created MLP as well as Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls", intended the show to have cross-generational appeal because she wanted the parents to be as entertained as the kids.  What neither she nor anyone else in the cast or crew could have predicted was the progenation of Bronies and Pegasisters.  In fact, John DeLancie, who voiced the MLP villain Discord who's character was heavily based off of his former role as Q from Star Trek, was so perplexed that he made a documentary.  This sums up the fandom in a nutshell:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-OF9wZWDs

Also, I'm not sure whether Smt was hinting at me or not, but I have recently been making attempts to keep my culture to myself.  Of course, it gets tempting when Abbott is free to talk about Kill La Kill nonstop and post anime videos and no one gets on him about it  :P  I will make the concession, though, that there are stereotypical bronies out there, because I knew one.  He was in my senior year english class, and he was a brony hater's wet dream.  It became obvious that his favorite pony was Fluttershy, and he made sure everyone knew it.  His binder was plastered with pictures of her and he had a Fluttershy doll on a keychain from his backpack.  Once a week he wore his Fluttershy fan shirt and one time he even came in with Fluttershy's cutie mark painted on his cheek.  His worst moment was the last day of school when our teacher was compiling a playlist of motivational youtube movies to see us off.  That little bastard nominated a pony vid and got it accepted.  Even as a brony now, that is still something that makes me cringe.

In conclusion, yes, I am a brony, but I don't intend to spread my culture by shoving it down everyone's throats.  If you knew me in real life, you would never think I'm a brony because I don't advertise it as openly as I do on the internet.  If you want to join the herd, I'll let you do that of your own accord.  Of course, it's always fun watching grown men flip their shits when they see a cartoon pony  :P

i was typing up a bunch of stuff but i decided not to post it because i knew it was going to ruffle a lot of feathers. theres just one thing id like to say about your comment towards abbott, i personally think its weird when people flaunt about their love for mlp or anime. to me its equal.

It became obvious that his favorite pony was Fluttershy, and he made sure everyone knew it.  His binder was plastered with pictures of her and he had a Fluttershy doll on a keychain from his backpack.  Once a week he wore his Fluttershy fan shirt and one time he even came in with Fluttershy's cutie mark painted on his cheek.

this is just the example of someone using it as an escape and a thing to identity with irl when they have nothing else to use in a social sense and it's when its a "problem" (not mlp specifically but the fact someone needs to identity with a certain group, even the classic like, bundling everyone into group based on how they dress and their music is just as bad imo)

well its common for people with similar interests to socialize with each other. why would people with completely different view points on things want to be friends? but i get what youre saying, if youre wearing this pony shirt, paint on your face, keychain, ect, thats just flat out weird. theirs nothing wrong with liking spongebob or something, but going as far as that kid did is just outright weird.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:37 AM »
I don't have a problem with people liking a certain show. It's their choice and my opinion on it isn't going to change that anyway.

But the main reason why I begun to hate on bronies was because back in the day, they all fell the need to post shit about it in every single topic and forum you could find.
May it be another meme picture with a pony on it, or just another reference of how stuff is "20% cooler". It doesn't really matter.

And yes it starts to become a real issue if you start to wear pont t-shirts and play with dolls as a late teenager/adult.

But yeah fandom is something you should keep to yourself and to others who share the same fandom.
Bronies for MLP, Abbott with his damn anime, and me myself with Hatsune Miku or Vocaloid in general are all examples.
Other than having it in my avatar, I'm not annoying everyone with it in all my posts, and so no one complains about it.
Abbott starts to get annoying with his constant anime shit in the shoutbox though. So maybe he really should cut it out on that.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 02:46:46 AM »
did you just watch the obnoxiousdouchealt video and make this thread

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
did you just watch the obnoxiousdouchealt video and make this thread

I have no idea who that is. Maybe the person you are talking about just so happens to have the same theory as me...?

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
Social Discussion is for life shit. MLP isnt life. It's still the internet. Table talk is a fine spot for it.

Idk what the MLP thing is about. I watched it with my ex. That was about all I ever did with regards to it. I see it now and think "why did I watch that again?"

Your analogy about the Miley Cyrus thing might be right. The Beibz thing isnt. Beibz is one of the biggest douchebags ever. Sure his music isnt that bad but he's a bigger douche then Kanye West.

But this is about MLP so yeah. I think your theory may be right. I'm sure if you googled it, you'd find the answer lol.
Yea, I'll be the judge of that.

This arguably violates Rule 21 of the forum rules:
Do not post My Little Pony (MLP)-related content on the forums.

This also violates the following Table Talk guideline:
Anything Unimportant! If it doesn't matter, it isn't worth debating.
This board is intended for serious topics such as politics, religion, and science. In my opinion, My Little Pony does not fall into a "serious topic" category.

Locked.
Live free or die

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal