Author Topic: Icebreaker Discussion  (Read 12006 times)

Offline Lewis

• Hey Restart Outlands
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Icebreaker Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
Is anyone here thinking of a reset at all? I'm not sure if they saved our characters from the past or not, but does anyone want to reset and start fresh? Or do yall just want your characters back?
Its going to be reset for many reasons. And I'm fairly certain waffle wants it reset anyway..
Okay,well with that said... How is the city going to be run w/o UU factions... If no one has their characters, then no one will be Units/City Admins/CWU etc

starting the applications up maybe a week before the server's actually open could work

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
Is anyone here thinking of a reset at all? I'm not sure if they saved our characters from the past or not, but does anyone want to reset and start fresh? Or do yall just want your characters back?
Its going to be reset for many reasons. And I'm fairly certain waffle wants it reset anyway..
Okay,well with that said... How is the city going to be run w/o UU factions... If no one has their characters, then no one will be Units/City Admins/CWU etc
starting the applications up maybe a week before the server's actually open could work
Would still need someone to already have a unit for the training etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:51:52 PM by KJUN »

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »
This is why I want to see Gear/Grid/Whateveeyoucallit back to the GOOD old days how it was when I joined it as 04 and eventually leaded it as DvL. Where shit like "r&d" was actually just assembling weapons and experiment them. Useless projects purely for the sake of RP. Not for the sake of letting your ego and elitism go at work.
Augments are retarded.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>

While I'm fairly sure that is nostalgia talking, that does sound pretty nice. I think if you do have R&D again, make their experiments just that; experiments. A majority of their projects should not be allowed for use or circulations unless they can actually provide CONSTRUCTIVE roleplay, not destructive. Little things like drugs or AEDS or even uniform/suit modifications or weapon modifications are fine, but when you're talking fucking mech suits and gyro-copters, then you need to chill the fuck out.

"even uniform/suit modifications or weapon modifications are fine"

aug·ment

verb
ôg?ment/

"make (something) greater by adding to it; increase."

That is an augment, something pretty much everyone in this thread is against.

unless they can actually provide CONSTRUCTIVE roleplay, not destructive.

The augments in question are the ones done to the body which give the units super powers. Putting laser sights or a bayonet on a weapon, adding an automated distress beckon or night vision in the suit does not destroy roleplay at all. While it is under the direct definition of augmentation, if you can't improve anything because they are already OP, then for that matter just give the CCA paper knives and rubber band guns and call it a day.

You know if we did that, someone would figure out how to be OP with a rubber band.  Just saying.  All forms of elitism or destructive roleplay brought on by any form of advancement will occur, simply because its an inevitable, however, if we just take away everything, then what is there to do? Some of it HAS to be there, else lolwebbles will just run everything, which is against cannon.  The CCA needs to be a moderate powerhouse and dominate slightly more than half of the play, simply because of what it is.  However, I am with you on this, experiments from R&D need to be just that, and unless its globally productive in roleplay, not added.  And on another note, the creation of things should take MONTHS.  Example, that hydraulic suit that 913 built.  Its not practical, and I wouldnt have it added simply because it became moderately OP even with all of the issues and limitations I built into it, TOOK MONTHS.  I started the project after being removed from CmD and placed under Nick as an 04, then worked on it all the way up through HL2RP's death almost a year later.  It was never finished, never implemented, and took irl almost a year to do.  What Im trying to get at, is magic doesnt happen overnight, and shouldnt.  It should take CONSTANT work, and work that fails more often than not, especially for larger scaled operations/projects.  Just my piece.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »

There is going to be selected some people for some positions within the CCA for starters

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
The augments in question are the ones done to the body which give the units super powers. Putting laser sights or a bayonet on a weapon, adding an automated distress beckon or night vision in the suit does not destroy roleplay at all. While it is under the direct definition of augmentation, if you can't improve anything because they are already OP, then for that matter just give the CCA paper knives and rubber band guns and call it a day.

do police irl modify their weapons outside of standard procedure

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »

We're not talking about irl police officers.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

We aren't. But what would the rest of the CCA prefer, one lone Unit working in the corner for 5 weeks, only to come up with a really cool bayonet that's totally useful for EVERYONE (No. No it's not.) or someone who has developed a system to condense medical supplies into smaller forms, thus allowing field medics to stem bleeding more effectively as they have more gauze. While weapon modifications aren't exactly that overpowered, do you have the materials and the manpower needed to mass produce that for every Unit to have those modification? No. Would the upper command of the UU allow one City to suddenly start wasting resources on producing bayonets? No.

C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »

We aren't. But what would the rest of the CCA prefer, one lone Unit working in the corner for 5 weeks, only to come up with a really cool bayonet that's totally useful for EVERYONE (No. No it's not.) or someone who has developed a system to condense medical supplies into smaller forms, thus allowing field medics to stem bleeding more effectively as they have more gauze. While weapon modifications aren't exactly that overpowered, do you have the materials and the manpower needed to mass produce that for every Unit to have those modification? No. Would the upper command of the UU allow one City to suddenly start wasting resources on producing bayonets? No.

It was a mere example. Bayonets are obviously not practical when you have a combat knife on hand that works just as well. All I'm saying is that various things can be opted to be made by R&D that isn't just medicinal. Because eventually, at some point, you are going to run out of things to produce for practical medical usage in the field or in interrogation. And given the history of CG's HL2rp, there is a very, very fine line between practical and Over Powered.

Would the CCA use resources on a method of more efficient methods of communication within its ranks? I think so. Would the UU allow a city to suddenly start mass producing more reliable methods of keeping track of conscripts? Sure, it was done before. And like I said before, only circulate it if it proves to add constructive roleplay to the server as a whole. Bayonets obviously do not do so. Though that doesn't mean it still can't be researched. Just like there's nothing wrong with you wanting to research and build a mechanized version of Godzilla in the research room, but the problems becomes when you actually use it. If it isn't in use, then there's no issue, is there?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:37:21 PM by Sexy Frog »

>I'll never forget...

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »

what makes you think an alien race bent on dictatorship methods and assimilation of the human race would allow individuality in its police force

why not just use citizen names instead of allocating them a generic number if they wanted them to be special

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 11:28:13 PM »

what makes you think an alien race bent on dictatorship methods and assimilation of the human race would allow individuality in its police force

why not just use citizen names instead of allocating them a generic number if they wanted them to be special

My points are apparently be construed incorrectly. I am not, nor was I ever debating or trying to appeal to anyone with the argument of individuality as a means for modifications. I could care less, to be frank. I am speaking strictly practicality and efficiency. Modifying things for that purpose is what I mean. A modification to be distributed under the pretense of enhancing these two things while also coinciding within a limit which is helpful to roleplay as a whole.

And for that matter, why would an alien race bent of dictatorship methods and assimilation of the human race follow means used before their regime? If anything, asking me the question:
is irrelevant considering that we are talking about Half Life 2. Plus I'm not talking about the individual unit making a modification for themselves to be cool. I'm talking something that can be implemented in the CCA as a whole. Thus, not making "police irl modifying their weapons" but more accurately "the department irl modifying their weapons". Now, does that happen? I'm pretty sure it does.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:30:19 PM by Sexy Frog »

>I'll never forget...

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 05:39:31 AM »
Mostly in agreement apart from two things I would like to make points about

Reduce the CCA medical division to combat medics. This means there will be no surgeries for OP augments.  There will also be no R&D.

I've always thought the medical division was important to have, it offered a lot of scope and depth to the roleplay, I think removing it entirely and just having field medics is wrong, remember that field medics can only do so much, and sometimes CASEVAC and MEDEVAC are more important, why not just merge it with the mechanical ops, basically referring to them as the "research, management, and development of scientific and control systems" division. That way you keep your field medics and mechanics, but can be sub divided down to (MeC and MeD - You get the idea, it's just a quick post) from 01 level dependent on particular preference, and this can be said the same up to DvL who should have a total range of both mechanical and medical knowledge.

On top of that, mechanical and medical research was useful as a passive RP, I enjoyed it thoroughly during my minute time in the NOVA and GRID divisions.

AND - Augmentations, I don't think OP augs should be in, but mechanical limbs for the injured, maybe some sight augments, and mostly internal organ augments for the units that are a cut above the rest should be implemented, mainly to cut down on time needed in trivial things, such as eating and resting, and the sight augments that would give some kind of HUD and connection to a mainframe, whatever, there's a lot of minor and non-OP augments that could come from the med R&D etc.

I'd be happy to talk to you on steam a lot about this, I have quite a few ideas more than this I'd like to share about a logistics division.

There will be no IC Interview for recruits. Instead, they will be judged on their performance through training and orientation. Hence less

As an old and long term HC member of UNION I say that the IC interview, although very quick, could be a useful tool to quickly evaluate basic RP abilities, I used to give them simple tasks, threaten, abuse, sometimes get lightly physically abusive just to measure their ability to Play to lose, basic /me commands, and adapt to roleplay, there was NEVER a simple interview from me, and I think that was important. Rather than scrapping it, there should be more influence on the type of interview your getting. Like I said, variety and immersive was a useful decision tool.

However, you could still relax the intake criteria and continue with the whole "CPs get a (Boot Camp)" kind of thing, however this puts a crapton of pressure on any UNIFORM HC there are, remember there would only be 3 or 4 units with the correct knowledge and case file on each unit and that takes a lot, I mean I had to make paper dossiers to keep up with the units that were coming through, and that was after my intake valuations.

Again, I would like to discuss this with you in depth too at some point, hit me up if I'm on steam.
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »
as an older and longer term hc member of uniform i say that everyone i spoke to disliked your methods in that division

i still think interviews should exist but they shouldnt be about beating units up before they're even units

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:31 AM »
A majority of the interviews I witnessed were just attempts to get the person who applied to join the division the interviewer was in (except when they were uniform/cmd). The IC interviews should only be used with a set format that can't allow that kinda shit to happen OR (as what I did) conduct the interview with HC members from different divisions, which myself, Triv and Tyler used to do quite frequently together.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
A majority of the interviews I witnessed were just attempts to get the person who applied to join the division the interviewer was in (except when they were uniform/cmd). The IC interviews should only be used with a set format that can't allow that kinda shit to happen OR (as what I did) conduct the interview with HC members from different divisions, which myself, Triv and Tyler used to do quite frequently together.

i honestly dont like letting division HCs do interviews for that reason, just doesn't feel right, uniform/whatever people should be doing the interview unless we make just a simple interview thats very generic and just used to get a basic level of rp out of them and then the interviewers are given simple guidelines about it all

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »

i honestly dont like letting division HCs do interviews for that reason, just doesn't feel right, uniform/whatever people should be doing the interview unless we make just a simple interview thats very generic and just used to get a basic level of rp out of them and then the interviewers are given simple guidelines about it all

I would prefer if uniform alone did the interviews as well, but when we tried this in the past, uniform hc wasnt active enough to go through all the interviews. Either we have a hc unit from each of the major timezones (usa/uk/aus) in uniform or we have a standard format for everyone to go off of (also we could add a interviewer auth or something). We're limited with activity when it comes to these kinds of issues.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal