Author Topic: HL2RP and Myself  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HL2RP and Myself
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
So.

I was never around for HL2RP (I only joined CG at OCRP2's launch). That said, the server was still up for a while after I joined; I was just never on it.

I plan to get into it when it (supposedly) comes back up later this year. I was wondering if some of you veteran HL2RP players could point me in the right direction with regards to what I should read prior to joining.
   I've played through HL2 and its episodes, so I know the general backstory. What confuses me is the whole thing with having an IC forum area and how integrated the server is with its respective forum.

Anyways, I need help with the entire thing in general. I know how to RP seriously, so actual RP *shouldn't* be an issue. I just need help grasping what I mentioned above, character creation, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated,

-Comrade Strelnikov
READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HL2RP and Myself
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Its a shitton of creativity. Its nothing like OCRP or HRP. The goal to OCRP and HRP is to get cash and get shit like helicopters and cars and guns. In HL2RP, the goal is to build on a character story. Sure theres an inventory where you can store random medical drugs, maybe a few guns (more so on outlands), and other shit. However, HL2RP is very subjective in that everything is written and created through thought, text, and storybuilding.

HL2RP is (imo) what RP really is. Theres not a whole lot of script to do shit for you which means there's a lot more things you can do, as long as you have the intellectual ability to think things logically and realistically. If you have access to them, read up on some of the hl2rp guides showing you how to roleplay on a legit serious level (not ocrp serious) as well as anything else you'd be interested in.

The forums are integrated solely through human interaction. In fact, the only link between forums and the game is user ranks and character information for administrators to review if needed. If there's an IC (in character) section on the forums and someone posts there, you can use that in game if your character can realistically and logically come across that information. Best example of that is the post board in the civil housing block. You can read anything on there and use it in-game, as long as your character visits the civil housing block in-game.

Does this make any sense?

You said you know how to RP seriously, however this might be different for you so I highly advise you at least skin through the guides. Also, if you want to get to know hl2rp canon more, surf through the overwiki at http://combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page or the HL2 Encyclopedia at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Offline Remilia Scarlet

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Basically what Statua just said. I personally don't think you will do too bad in HL2RP Strelnikov. I played on our HL2RP server for a few hours, I saw nobody on Outlands at all (except for a Headcrab). When HL2RP comes back I hope to be one of the first Combine Officers, although knowing how that system works it will be difficult.
Gregory Casavant: ((The HRP stew is missing something today, hmm, needs more admin.))

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
You should do what everyone else does on that server; cyber with the nearest civilian until you get beat up by a CP. I'll be reading the logs later.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »
You should do what everyone else does on that server; cyber with the nearest civilian until you get beat up by a CP. I'll be reading the logs later.

I will never forget that group of lesbians that held orgies every damn day...

I'm also hoping for a spot in the CCA when it comes back up as I suck at passive RP.  However, while this isn't the point of the thread, some things need to be changed in the reboot:

1.  No more augments.  Not only are they uncanon, they're OP as fuck.  I'm fine with OTA having enhanced reflexes and a certain amount of superhuman strength, but the CCA (even the High Command units) do not need any of that.

2.  Remove R&D.  The CCA is already OP enough, they don't need to get more OP.

3.  Stop treating the CCA as a military organization.  The main job of the CCA is keeping the citizens in line.  I'm fine with a small amount of breach training and dangerous patrols into the slums, but counter-insurgency is 100% jurisdiction of the OTA.  I'd even go so far as to say that CCA units don't need H2H training.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
2.  Remove R&D.  The CCA is already OP enough, they don't need to get more OP.

the main issue was certain elitist english admins with names that start with M using it as a BS top secret place to pull amazing goodies out of his or her anus

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
R&D was fine when I ran it. Who screwed it up? I hope they finished my torture drug injection lol.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
if you're a fan of reading novels i'd use that as a basis for learning how to roleplay - unless the author is horrible then you can identify unique attributes about each of the characters including their personalities, strengths, weaknesses and goals/motivations for whatever they're doing in the novel. you should aspire to do similar things with your characters rather than just make some 25 year old girl and sit around complaining about having nothing to do.

after you've done that set about trying to do those goals/motivations that you originally came up with. if you've got a character that is more inclined to favour with the universal union then go about IC'ly to try and join them and do shit like highlight your interaction with other characters through his personality that that's what he wants to do.

there's nothing worse than having a character with nothing to give you motivation or direction to play them besides mary sues

mary sues are your generic protagonists that by community standards are disliked/shunned because your character is essentially a jack of all trades and basically breaks the norms of roleplay by having a character that's too overpowered

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
What raged said is an excellent little tidbit on character creation. Theres lots more in our guides on character creation and development but raged pretty much summed it up. Still, read the guides to get a full understanding and prevent mary sues with big boobs, big butt, blonde hair, blue eyes, skinny, and can kill any man with her 1337 kung fu skills.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
CCA is Civil Correction Authority, right? I also hope for a spot on it if this is the case; I'm very good at RPing a cop.

By the way, thanks for all the info Statua!

[Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.]

READY AYE READY

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
What confuses me is the whole thing with having an IC forum area and how integrated the server is with its respective forum.

its usually used as the non in-character discussion area for the server (to talk about things such as this or server ideas and the like) but some forms of it are used as like an in-character database where paperwork and reports are stored and stuff like that. usually forums are limited to the odd in-character diary or two that somebody has written and several threads designated for the CCA about rosters and procedures and protocols and stuff like that

CCA is Civil Correction Authority, right?

yes

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: HL2RP and Myself
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »

CCA is Civil Correction Authority, right?

yes
Wow, that was entirely a guess. Give me a context and an acronym and I'll find out its meaning, I suppose.

[Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.]

READY AYE READY

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
oh wait i read it wrong its actually combine civil authority but some communities use different terms like civil combine authority and other weird shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal