Author Topic: Gmod map release Rp_HeadattackCity_V1  (Read 10327 times)

Offline SoldierRob

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gmod map release Rp_HeadattackCity_V1
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
some people might remember my post in 2011 about me making a map rp_headattackcity_v1
yesterday I finally released it

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187930698

After 3 years i finally finished my map not 3 years in total maybe 400 / 500 hours mapping but it took so long because I sometimes didn't have motivation ..)

Click to see the original size.

the map I made before I started working on this map
how it looked in may 07 2011
but I added so many things I started to get a bug, but then I didn't know how to fix it so I started all over again
October 8 2011
24 January 2012

Features
-----------
Openworld map with large skybox
19 enterable buildings(Hospital, Police Station, Fire Station, Bar, Restaurant, Fastfood,
Library with Apartment, Cinema, 3 Suburban Houses, Supermarket, Office, Pc Store with Apartment,
Tankstation, Bank, Small Trainstation, Cardealer, Clothes Shop with Apartment,
large forest
Train
Npc nodes
cubemaps (not working atm)

Requirements
-----------
only Counter-Strike: Source
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:35:27 AM by [Ha]SoldierRob[nL] »

Offline Channy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gmod map release Rp_HeadattackCity_V1
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
Wow that really looks good man
ok

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »
Can I have your trees?

Offline SoldierRob

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
Can I have your trees?
sarcasm or serious :P

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »
Can I have your trees?
Serious lol I've been looking for some tall and wide trees like the one in the 3rd picture.

Offline SoldierRob

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »
Can I have your trees?
Serious lol I've been looking for some tall and wide trees like the one in the 3rd picture.

they are from ep2 and l4d2

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
I love the forest-theme in it.
It rather looks like a village than a city though. But it looks really good!
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline -HazzieWazzie-

• Magical Gypsy Psychologist
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
That's a really cool and good looking map you made there sir.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »
Now, not relating to the trees, here's my thoughts on the map. Some people cant take CC very well so I set that in a spoiler, however I advise you take a look at it if you plan to make future updates.

Spoiler for Constructive Criticism:
After playing around in it a bit, theres some rather big issues that would make it not work well for RP servers running things more organized then DarkRP. Biggest thing is the scaling. The roads are extremely narrow and some vehicles dont even fit in one lane. Same with the parking spots. I cant fit most cars into them. I suggest making your roads at least 384 units wide, 512 preferred for heavier traffic roads. I do realise that this is based on Denmark(?) though so if there are tight ass roads where mirrors are commonly lost there, ok it makes sense.

The buildings are another thing. Especially the stairs. I dont know if its different in denmark, but most places in the world have standards for stairs for the rise and run. In hammer, the textures for most stairs are based on 8 units rise and 16 units run so like this:
              ___
         ___|
    ___|
    |

You have it at 8 and 8 which is ok for buildings that are pre 1900s. It just doesnt look all that great. Another thing I noticed about the stairs is you have nothing under them. They're just kind of angled planes. Close it off under the stairs or put a cubbyhole under them.

The water texture you used is cheap. Its intended for development. Try using something that has a reflective surface. it will help your maps appeal so much.

Your use of the FarZ plane and the fog drives me nuts. Im sorry to say that but it does. I realise in order to get the 110 fps I get in that map, you have to do that, but theres other ways to optimize a map. The fog colour could have been though a bit more into. If you look at Sgt. Sicknesses Evocity2 and v33x, thats an appropriate way to use fog and FarZ if you cant find other ways to optimize.

Your lack of a 3dskybox is concerning. I understand you're using FarZ which can make seamless 3dskys look bad, however adding some far distance cards (like the mountains in ep2 or the hills in militia) can really make your map feel wide and open, even with a FarZ. You didnt put anything around the edge of the map though. Even a simple double or triple layer of tree cards would have been better then walking up to the void.

For the good points because I like to save the best for last :) there's some very nice features in this map.

The biggest thing I noticed was your natural land. The trails and forest in particular. They're VERY nice. I mean, you could have probably used a few different tree models, but still, your work with displacements was well done. It was actually quite fun exploring the trails of the forest. Its kinda inspirational actually for future maps ;)

The next biggest thing was the amount of detail put into this map. Everything from the big trees to the tiny ferns and all the little bits and pieces in the city make the map feel more realistic (without doing and of that hd shit people seem to be doing nowadays which imo looks horrible in the source engine and just doesnt work).

The fps I'm getting with the amount of detail in the map is fantastic. People with slugs of computers can play this map as well as servers that take a lot of fps such as complex RP scripts.

All in all, its a decent map. I cant see it being used on complex RP scripts such as OCRP and PERP mainly due to the layout and whats available, however it would be a great map for DarkRP and maybe survival type RP as well. It seems fitting for DayZ tbh. So good job. Keep working on your mapping skills and experience cause you're doing pretty well thus far.

Offline SoldierRob

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »
Thx man  ;D
about the roads I just made them this wide and I couldn't really change it afterwards. ( based on the Nederland I also used google maps to see how big the cars were etc)
I also left the stairs like that because I thought it didn't really matter.
I'll change the water texture, I had a better water texture first but it didn't have a cheap texture so there was lag in the map.
I might add a 3d skybox or make the map bigger and clip the sides.
and I might add even more detail to the forest because some areas have less detail because I made them on a other time, maybe a cave.
A lot of people were also asking for breakable windows but I don't think I can add that.(and Evocity doesn't have breakable windows only downtown)
and I will try maybe adding a small building because there are only 3 suburban houses and 3 apartments.

When I make a new map i'll make sure I do everything right :P
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:34:09 PM by [Ha]SoldierRob[nL] »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »
To add breakable windows, you'll either want to get someone who knows lua to make you a controller script, or you could make a control room to reset the windows and toggle their ability to break for servers where they dont want people breaking windows. To actually make the windows breakable, its just a brush entity.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal