Author Topic: [GM13 Gamemode] Red vs. Blue: Capture the Flag  (Read 8084 times)

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[GM13 Gamemode] Red vs. Blue: Capture the Flag
« on: October 04, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »

I decided to work on a Red vs. Blue gamemode after reading the Halo RP suggestion thread. Originally I was going to start with Grifball (from RvB) but then decided to start with something else. After a bit of thinking and deciding, I chose to make RvB Capture the Flag.

Total time spent so far coding and solo testing: 13 hours
Total time spent playtesting publically/privately: 10+ hours
Average player count: 8

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPGbX6EPoc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPGbX6EPoc</a>

Current status: InfDev Development (Pre-Alpha)

Occasionally I open up my dev server to have people join and play around and see what they think. So far I have a few regulars that randomly joined and liked it and keep coming back. Everyone that's played it has enjoyed it. Feel free to join when it is open. I'm usually streaming as well and will try to remember to post in this thread or the shoutbox (most likely) when its open or when I'm streaming.

Click to see the original size.

Current features include:
  • Halo Spartan playermodels (red and blue)
  • Halo weaponry
  • Flag dropping/resetting
  • Respawn timers
  • Sounds from Halo (announcer voices)
  • Auto-resort of teams after a team reaches 10 captures
  • 3 maps currently set up and fully working
  • Lowered gravity and fall damage to give a more halo-ish feel

Planned features include:
  • Halo style boosts (overshield, active camo)
  • Classes (such as assault, sniper, etc)
  • Vehicle support for larger maps
  • Player statistics (lifetime flag caps, time on server, kdr, kill count)
  • Multi-kill support (double/triple/monster kill sounds basically)

Screenshots (none of in-play as of yet.):
Team selection:

Scoreboard:

Red Flag:

Blue Flag:

Maps:

Livestream:
www.twitch.tv/KarmaLord
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:53:29 PM by Pvt. RTLK »

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [GM13 Gamemode] Red vs. Blue: Capture the Flag
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
Was pretty fun earlier when I played it. Kind of dull, but it was basically killing and carrying a flag from point A to point B. Can't wait to see the finished product, though.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: [GM13 Gamemode] Red vs. Blue: Capture the Flag
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Was pretty fun earlier when I played it. Kind of dull, but it was basically killing and carrying a flag from point A to point B. Can't wait to see the finished product, though.
Yeah, I think you played when there wasn't scoring, or really anything but just get the flag and then yay you cap. Now there's scoring and a goal and a better smaller map.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
So my idea got through.  Nice.  There are better playermodels to use btw. Much nicer new style.
For The Social Republic Of The Soviet Union

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
Make it so that you can only deliver the enemy flag while your own flag is at base.
This creates a lot more strategy as you will have to take out the enemy with your flag before you can deliver yours. Which means that if the enemy as your flag, instead of quickly having to hunt him down before he reaches base, you could take their flag and run away as well. So you will have to kill each other before anyone can score.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
What if....you added multiple gamemodes and made it a halo server? I mean, the gamemode looks great, but you gotta' look in the long run. I think people will get bored of it unless different gamemodes are added which you can choose from at the end of every game. I remember playing halo and there was this one custom gamemode that was really popular where basically a sniper/rocket guy would sit on this platform in the middle of the map and try to shoot down the people riding on mongooses around him. Kinda like a race, but not really. If you can get to the sniper before he kills everyone you'll get like an oversheild and you'll be able to kill him.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
What if....you added multiple gamemodes and made it a halo server? I mean, the gamemode looks great, but you gotta' look in the long run. I think people will get bored of it unless different gamemodes are added which you can choose from at the end of every game. I remember playing halo and there was this one custom gamemode that was really popular where basically a sniper/rocket guy would sit on this platform in the middle of the map and try to shoot down the people riding on mongooses around him. Kinda like a race, but not really. If you can get to the sniper before he kills everyone you'll get like an oversheild and you'll be able to kill him.
You mean halo mini games? Already planned for a fretta style system. Have ideas for 4 more and I like the idea of yours of the mongoose hunt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
I love the fact taht you are taking my advice with the fretta idea.
For The Social Republic Of The Soviet Union

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:45 AM »
Finally got a chance to work on it again a bit. Removed a lot of code that was unneeded and made the flags into SWEPs when picked up, so you have to work as a team instead of being able to shoot while holding the flag too. Also experimenting with some different fonts to see what looks best where.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY7ywAgLg4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY7ywAgLg4</a>

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY7ywAgLg4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY7ywAgLg4</a>

Looks good but the players run way to fast, and if you are going to add sprinting make it a very, very short distance.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
Yeah, a sprint decay is planned. And preventing sprinting when you have the flag yes

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1322868

Posted it up on facepunch to get some more comments on it. Head there to get the most up-to-date info.

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
Planned features include:
  • Halo style boosts (overshield, active camo)
  • Classes (such as assault, sniper, etc)
  • Vehicle support for larger maps
  • Player statistics (lifetime flag caps, time on server, kdr, kill count)
  • Multi-kill support (double/triple/monster kill sounds basically)
Sorry for the late reply.

Anyways, there's Halo SCars and WAC air vehicles out there that you could use.

[Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.]
READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal