Author Topic: gmr_vroomvroom [WIP]  (Read 6512 times)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
gmr_vroomvroom [WIP]
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, "gmr_VroomVroom".

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wg7sPnyInQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wg7sPnyInQ</a>

Please remember that this map is still a work in progress!

Ah, update #1 is here. I'm getting closer and closer everyday to the final product. Taking your time is key, hence why it's been taking so long, but do not worry! I plan on finishing the map within the next three days. I finished with the core GMR content, and I have the basic things done so the hard work is done. All I have to do now is finish texturing everything, fix some things that people suggested, add the credits, and that pretty much sums it up.

Update: Sorry for not finishing the map when I planned on doing so, I just had to go out of state momentarily but I'm back now so I will continue to work on the map, so don't worry!

Spoiler for Old Video/Download Link:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0ofP1uEBQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0ofP1uEBQ</a>

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:00:09 AM by Cow ??¦? ???°??? ???? ???°???¤ »
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: gmr_vroomvroom
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Loaded it in a testing environment. The game could not decide what type of map it was so it didn't actually begin a round, but it did spawn the jeep in the field.

Aesthetically:
- Make the scoreboard on something, not just floating. Maybe place it on the wall.
- Make the outer walls shorter, it is a bit of an eyesore with the dev textures.
- It needs to be a bit bigger. I don't know how many spawn points you made, but it's preferred to be 24+ so as many can race. And the size currently is way too small for 24 players. It's more of a 12 player map.
- The lobby is bland. Take ideas from other maps and make the lobby area have various things to do (ramps, etc) while in vehicles. And possibly make a two-tiered lobby, one where you are watching (where it is now) and another above or in a different area where it is bigger and has the garages and cars there. Plus doing this will allow you to make the current area smaller and use that room for the track area.

As for ideas for the actual track, I'd need to know what type it is exactly. If its an actual derby style race or if its a demolition style. And either way it still needs to be fixed to report properly so the race actually happens.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Loaded it in a testing environment. The game could not decide what type of map it was so it didn't actually begin a round, but it did spawn the jeep in the field.

Aesthetically:
- Make the scoreboard on something, not just floating. Maybe place it on the wall.
- Make the outer walls shorter, it is a bit of an eyesore with the dev textures.
- It needs to be a bit bigger. I don't know how many spawn points you made, but it's preferred to be 24+ so as many can race. And the size currently is way too small for 24 players. It's more of a 12 player map.
- The lobby is bland. Take ideas from other maps and make the lobby area have various things to do (ramps, etc) while in vehicles. And possibly make a two-tiered lobby, one where you are watching (where it is now) and another above or in a different area where it is bigger and has the garages and cars there. Plus doing this will allow you to make the current area smaller and use that room for the track area.

As for ideas for the actual track, I'd need to know what type it is exactly. If its an actual derby style race or if its a demolition style. And either way it still needs to be fixed to report properly so the race actually happens.

Thank you for the advice, I will edit the map around later today with your suggestions. I'll have to look into why it's not loading as a race map, I think I have an idea why but I'm not sure.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
Are you using the testing game mode Krystal and myself got together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
Are you using the testing game mode Krystal and myself got together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. May I have a link to it? Thank you very much by the way! I appreciate it.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
Apparently it was never released yet. It should be soon and will help testing maps.

Edit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161540112
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:11:03 AM by Pvt. Grif »

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 04:17:13 AM »
Apparently it was never released yet. It should be soon and will help testing maps.

Edit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161540112

Thank you, this will be very helpful.

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Wheres the race track? is it that square?

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
Lol thanks for sendming me that link guys >.> jk subbed to it anyway.

As for this map, its really small for a derby. If you were to make it a derby, I think the roads need to be narrower and those funny little ramps need to be moved closer to the middle, otherwise they will never be used, even if people push others toward them.

The dev texture you used, the orange, is butt ugly no offence. Use the measuregeneric orange. It just looks nicer.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Wheres the race track? is it that square?

I actually made it rounded on the edges but when I rebooted the map up in hammer it said something about how it wasn't a solid so it basically got deleted. I'll find a different way to make it rounded, but bear in mind this is only the very beginning of the map and I'm thinking about making it two story.

Lol thanks for sendming me that link guys >.> jk subbed to it anyway.

As for this map, its really small for a derby. If you were to make it a derby, I think the roads need to be narrower and those funny little ramps need to be moved closer to the middle, otherwise they will never be used, even if people push others toward them.

The dev texture you used, the orange, is butt ugly no offence. Use the measuregeneric orange. It just looks nicer.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
If you are having hills be careful a stock car can climb it

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
- Make the scoreboard on something, not just floating. Maybe place it on the wall. -Added a wall for it to sit on
- Make the outer walls shorter, it is a bit of an eyesore with the dev textures. Wouldn't that make the map track shorter...? Or do you mean the height of it? If so, I can change that fairly quick.
- It needs to be a bit bigger. I don't know how many spawn points you made, but it's preferred to be 24+ so as many can race. And the size currently is way too small for 24 players. It's more of a 12 player map. I have 25 spawn points, but you are confusing me saying to make it smaller and then bigger...but I have plans to make it longer.
- The lobby is bland. Take ideas from other maps and make the lobby area have various things to do (ramps, etc) while in vehicles. And possibly make a two-tiered lobby, one where you are watching (where it is now) and another above or in a different area where it is bigger and has the garages and cars there. Plus doing this will allow you to make the current area smaller and use that room for the track area. I've been messing around in hammer and I think I have an idea on what I will do. The area you describe will be similar to octo (I think that's the map? You basically go in a figure 8, but it's not the figure 8 map. The map I'm talking about has non-dev textures.

As for this map, its really small for a derby. If you were to make it a derby, I think the roads need to be narrower and those funny little ramps need to be moved closer to the middle, otherwise they will never be used, even if people push others toward them. Yeup, fixed that. Made the ramps closer to the middle, and there's one part of it where if you don't go up this one ramp, you'll be in this "pit" below with bumps and stuff so it'll be harder. It'll make people fight for the ramp since you could only fit one car side by side.

The dev texture you used, the orange, is butt ugly no offence. Use the measuregeneric orange. It just looks nicer. I actually tried adding in custom textures, read below.

So I've ran into a problem. I began to retexture the map with some texture pack by the tophatwaffle, and then I packratted it. Problem is, when I ran gmod the textures were pink and black. If someone could come up with a solution that would be great. I've adding in some minor features too, but right now I'm just trying to work out all the bugs and then I'll focus more on making the map have more stuff and whatnot.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: gmr_vroomvroom [WIP]
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
Pakrat is very simple, yet easy to fuck up. Here's how I do it.

-Gather all materials and place them in their appropriate filing in another folder (ie. I have a road for rainbowroad so i make a folder called rainbowroad somewhere and make molders inside it going materials/statua as the rainbowroad material i materials/statua/rainbowroad.vtf)

-Compile the map all the way

-Open pakrat

-Open my map in pakrat (my compiler automatically copies a file to garrysmod/garrysmod/maps)

-Hit add and select my materials folder thats in my custom rainbowroad folder (and models if i have those too)

-Hit Yes to All

-Hit Save BSP and overwrite the original in my garrysmod/garrysmod/maps folder

And done.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: gmr_vroomvroom [WIP]
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
Pakrat is very simple, yet easy to fuck up. Here's how I do it.

-Gather all materials and place them in their appropriate filing in another folder (ie. I have a road for rainbowroad so i make a folder called rainbowroad somewhere and make molders inside it going materials/statua as the rainbowroad material i materials/statua/rainbowroad.vtf)

-Compile the map all the way

-Open pakrat

-Open my map in pakrat (my compiler automatically copies a file to garrysmod/garrysmod/maps)

-Hit add and select my materials folder thats in my custom rainbowroad folder (and models if i have those too)

-Hit Yes to All

-Hit Save BSP and overwrite the original in my garrysmod/garrysmod/maps folder

And done.

Thank you very much statua.

The list below are the people going on the credits list so far, but keep in mind that the credits will not be added until the very final release of the map just so I can focus on finishing it first. If I forgot your name please post it, but I'll only be adding people who helped with the creation of the map:

Me
Statua
OzJackal
RTLK
Rose

One last thing, I'll be adding a new video to the OP on what I added/fixed tonight. I plan on fishing the map within the next three days as I can now focus a lot more on it and I'll be making more time for it, so the process will speed up. But keep in mind that everything is subject to change and this isn't the final product.

Thank you everyone!

Post Auto-Merged: August 08, 2013, 05:34:00 AM
Uploading the vidya now and I'll edit the OP with the download link.

Post Auto-Merged: August 08, 2013, 05:49:47 AM
Updated OP with new video, description, and download link. Check it out :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:49:47 AM by Cow ??¦? ???°??? ???? ???°???¤ »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal