Author Topic: Spencer Yancy's Authorization Application  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spencer Yancy's Authorization Application
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: Delta1116732
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): 2-3 Years
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: 2-3 Years

Character Section

Authorization(s):
Eye Glasses (Titanium Frame)

Advanced Knowledge In Computer Hacking Worms/Virus (Designing Own Software Included)

Name: Spencer Yancy
Affiliation: Rebellion

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
Eye Glasses

The day awoke with the sun about to come up. Spencer was face down in a cold cell that was once a police station. He opened his eyes moaning a bit, wipping his hand across it face smearing cold dirt across it by mistake. Spencer got the feel of being awake, and sat up. He leaned himself up to a nearby wall noticing his left arm wrapped poorly with some bandages. The bandages seemed a bit bloody, and his arm was sore. Spencer looked around the room seeing it was grey, dull, and the lights had a yellow color to them. He pushed himself up into a standing position. He rubbed the back of his head looking around the room. Soft sobs in the distance could be heard from the rooms away. Spencer walked up to the cell doors wrapping his hands around them. He pressed his face up against the door looking out as all he saw was a long narrow hallway off to his left, and to his right was a single door. He opened his mouth as he began to speak with a dry, and crusty voice "H-hello?" With no answer he turned back around, and continued to look around the room. He looked over to a small table set in the corner. He walked up to it noticing his old glasses set down on the table. He rubbed his eyes once more with the blue shirt he was wearing, and put his glasses on. He blinked as everything seemed much more clear until he thought about what he had just done. He never put on blue clothing this morning, so what was he wearing? Spencer looked down to see himself wearing a slightly big, blue shirt with a white label on the edge which happened to be blank. His pants also happened to be blue, though his shoes seemed like brown dress shoes but of a cheaper quality. His attention turned to the hallway hearing a door creaking open with the sound of boots, and heavy equipment shuffling. He walked up to the door looking down the hallway. A human figure dressed in heavy kevlar, a gas mask, and a stun stick attached to his belt was walking down the hall. He raised an eyebrow with his heart pumping, and worried of what the thing was or where he even was. The unit stepped in-front of his cell looking him up, and down until his vocoder crackled alive saying "Your awake.." as his helmet emitted another beep as he spoke "216, I got another one here for you. I'll move him to the label room for you." The unit reached down to his belt grabbing some keys, and unlocked the door pulling it open motioning for Spencer to follow him. Spencer stepped out of the cell following the unit to a small room which was well light, and seemed like a clean environment. The unit stood back as a second one entered. The door slammed shut with the second unit bearing a red cross armband said "Alrighty, alrighty take your shirt off, and let me get to work." Spencer's eyes widened at the odd request. As the unit was armed with a pistol he would figure he should follow. He took his shirt off handing it over to the unit. The unit snatched it from his hands putting it on the table. The unit began to speak as he walked up to a small computer beginning to type into it "Name?" Spencer began to speak as he replied "Spencer Yancy.." The unit nodded twice before he typed it away at the computer. Within second the computer had entered his name in a profile format. The unit turned around pointing to a measuring meter along the wall saying "Stand against that." Spencer nodded walking  to the scale, and the unit typed in his height. The unit spoke once more "Medical conditions....sight problem I presume." Spencer nodded as the unit continued talking "Thats it." The unit slammed on the keyboard with another window popping up on the large screen. On the screen read out certain digits. The unit turned to a machine which began to print out a small card. The card stopped half way. The unit pointed to the wall again "Face it, I want a front face photo, no emotion." Spencer nodded, and he walked over to the wall. A small metallic arm retracted down from the ceiling as it snapped a picture of him. Spencer rubbed his eyes hearing the machine printing out the rest of the card. The unit pulled the card out, handing it to him as he said "Don't lose this." Spencer grabbed the card looking down to it. On the card was a picture of him, five digit number, and his name with the label of Citizen underneath. He looked back up to the unit. He slammed a large hammer down on the shirt. The unit turned around tossing the shirt to the citizen saying "Put that on." Spencer continued to put the shirt on sliding the card into his pocket. The unit reached down to his stun baton. The unit pulled off the baton, and walked to the door saying "Follow me." Spencer began to follow the unit as they reached a large office with two other men dressed in the same clothing as him being interviewed by another unit. The unit who he was following pushed the door open with his foot. Spencer walked out first, the unit coughed with an annoyed tone. Spencer looked around the city as it was modified. He turned around to the unit which was now closing the door, and locking it. Spencer balled his hands up into a fist, shoving them into his pocket looking around the city. He began to wonder what the hell is he suppose to do. Stranded, no food, water, supplies, military like things. The last thing he could remember is sitting at home, and everything went black. He thought it could possibly be related to the recent portals opening up around the earth before hand. He scratched his chin looking around to a big sign which said "CITY 17, It's Safer Here."

Computer Hacking

Spencer sat down at a small bench with his friend. Both of them on their phones trying to find a decent wifi around the area. Most places had them set private, or for customers only. Spencer grunted as he said in an annoyed voice "No damn wifi around here. Seriously whats with these shops? It isn't gold!" His friend raised a brow looking back up to Spencer, smirking with an idea growing in his head. His friend began to speak "Do you think it would be possible to....ya know guess that password to get in? Sorta like hacking." Spencer looked back to his friend wondering. Spencer replied "I don't know...worth a shot I guess?" Spencer looked back to his phone. He looked at a near by store which had their wifi named as Javier Cafe. Spencer began to tap multiple guesses into his phone. Cafe Javier, CJ, JC, Cafe, Javier, and also tried some of their menu prices. After about thirty minutes he shrugged as he typed in the last thing he would expect "efaC reivaJ" the wifi began to connect to the system. Within minutes it gave a good signal, and Spencer had gained access to the cafe's wifi. He perked up saying " I got it! efaC reivaJ." His friend had a smug look as he said "You didn't get it..." His friend typed in the password to be sure. With the password typed in it began to log him in too. His eyes widened saying "Shit...you did get it." Spencer looked back down to his phone, selecting the next wifi saying "Time for the next one." He smirked.

Within the small amount of time that passed Spencer had graduated from high school, mostly with B's. Most courses he took relatedaround computer graphics design, code, and typing. He had continued working some small hacking software, and at points working around with his own programs. Though his own software didn't do much as it was plain, and simple. In time he had reached university which his parents gladly payed for most of it. The first year at University seemed easy because it was simple taking notes, and the occasional testing . His room mates had nearly no desire for what he loved to do. Though with luck Spencer was able to sell some of his software to a few people for a good amount of cash. With the extra cash he was able to afford a small laptop that was cheap, and was nearly broken down. As practice he would get his roommate to set up fake accounts, and programs for him to pass for fun. Spencer found it fun, and easy because it was just about trying to figure out the right code. Getting better at the hacking each time he eventually figured out better ways of getting in, and how to use it properly. Days would pass as he would try, and stay away from high end stuff. Time passed as Spencer would use his hacking knowledge for good. People within the university would get their computers locked, or even a password they lost by mistake, and Spencer charged a good 15 bucks to get it unlocked which seemed like a decent price for their expensive computer back. Within the short time that had passed which happened to be about four years, Spencer dropped out to resume his software making business. Years passed, and Spencer had continued building small software. Some programs related to hacking he never sold, or used them. Most of the softwares recovered lost accounts, and stolen items. The script sold for 5 bucks a piece as it was bought regularly. Spencer spent his time that wasn't spent working on software, he spent working at a local Cafe. The Cafe was small, but it was good enough to work at. Spencer, and his room mate still did the regular practices on the accounts to not get rusty on hacking. Everything seemed to be going well with the online business, and the job.

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
Eye Glasses:
+ Passive RP.
+ Strong frame.

Hacking Knowledge:
+ Ablility to acess computers with time provided.
+ Better knowledge than average person.
+ Could assist with resistance projects.
+ Not a physical item.
+ Passive RP with hacking/building software.

Defects
Eye Glasses:
- The lens arn't altered in any way.
- Worth a good amount of cash. Could be stolen.

Hacking Knowledge:
- Where am I going to even find a computer?
- Knowledge would be used rarely.
- Would have to practice hacking to remember how to even do it.
- Take weeks to build programs, and hack into certain things.

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
Possibly try, and find a computer at first. After that try, and make programs.

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
Nein.

Which server does this apply for?
City

Extra Notes (optional):
May be some mistakes as when I transfered this to a diffrent .doc format it dun goofed how it was set up.

-Edit: Removed some effects that didn't work. (Spoilders, ect)
-Edit: Removed USB Auth, Story, Defects, Perks, ect.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:11:55 PM by Delta1116732 »

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spencer Yancy's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »
Citizens aren't even allowed to have radios for communication. What makes you think that the UU would brand a USB drive that can be used as another form of communication and potentially malicious data transference that can prove hazardous if in the wrong hands? If anything, a USB should be level 2 contraband.

Second, as I posted in Atticats auth app, glasses are something you don't really need to apply for. If they are UU branded, your good. Obtainable ICly.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Citizens aren't even allowed to have radios for communication. What makes you think that the UU would brand a USB drive that can be used as another form of communication and potentially malicious data transference that can prove hazardous if in the wrong hands? If anything, a USB should be level 2 contraband.

Second, as I posted in Atticats auth app, glasses are something you don't really need to apply for. If they are UU branded, your good. Obtainable ICly.

Too true, if you want a USB, it wouldn't be UU branded. CCA doesn't give technology higher than that of a request device to citizens. As Sexy Frog said before hand, it would be a level two. I'd agree to everything else, including the USB if it wasn't UU branded.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »
what type of computer hacking?
i dont think going to university and your friends sending you programs teaches you any hacking
hacking isnt about guessing a code unless you're doing blind mysql where it is educated guesses and that is extremely low security
seems like one paragraph to grab an extremely wide spectrum of hacking

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:08 PM »
In regards to Yak's comments in order.

- Probally something related, or near this.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Viruses and Worms - Viruses and worms are self-replicating programs or code fragments that attach themselves to other programs (viruses) or machines (worms). Both viruses and worms attempt to shut down networks by flooding them with massive amounts of bogus traffic, usually through e-mail.
- Never said the friends sent him programs at all. He downloaded, or built them himself.
- Only used the guessing code in his early years ie first year of hacking, ect. The rest was different.
- One paragraph is a bit small, but considering the fact of the percent of finding a computer in city, or let alone out lands is like 3% it kind of makes itself even.

In regards to the other comments about the USB I will probably remove it for now, and apply for it in the future when I come up with a better idea. I was presuming they had USB's due to that they have computers, and what not. I'll also erase the part of the back story with the USB. USB Auth was to wing it, and see if I could get it through pure luck. Guess luck ran out.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
In regards to Yak's comments in order.

- Probally something related, or near this.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Viruses and Worms - Viruses and worms are self-replicating programs or code fragments that attach themselves to other programs (viruses) or machines (worms). Both viruses and worms attempt to shut down networks by flooding them with massive amounts of bogus traffic, usually through e-mail.
- Never said the friends sent him programs at all. He downloaded, or built them himself.
- Only used the guessing code in his early years ie first year of hacking, ect. The rest was different.
- One paragraph is a bit small, but considering the fact of the percent of finding a computer in city, or let alone out lands is like 3% it kind of makes itself even.

In regards to the other comments about the USB I will probably remove it for now, and apply for it in the future when I come up with a better idea. I was presuming they had USB's due to that they have computers, and what not. I'll also erase the part of the back story with the USB. USB Auth was to wing it, and see if I could get it through pure luck. Guess luck ran out.
change the auth to worms then
i also happen to own a computer

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
The only real problem I have is with the hacking. I wouldn't see "Advanced Hacking" as being acceptable based on the backstory. True advanced computer knowledge of any kind requires at least a 4 year degree in some computer science and then a good few years of actual time spent doing those computer skills on a job. I could see basic hacking and computer skills being feasible though. The fact that your character is only 18 doesn't logically show that he would have had anywhere near 4 years or even 1 full year of college courses on computer skills. Sure, he could learn a fair amount on his own but it all still be basic.

Also, as Yak said, change your application to say worms if that is what you're truly applying for knowledge on. Also, if this is accepted, don't use this as an excuse to hack into former Soviet super computers in the city. The only thing in your application that seems to support your character being able to bypass a security system is just being very creative and being able to guess passwords easily. All in all, just be careful what you're hacking into if this get's accepted. I should hear about you hacking into the Union Database through a rigged wifi signal and deleting everything with worms and viruses.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal