Author Topic: Police Dodge after update  (Read 4207 times)

Offline ?«SG.Sup?? | Sir.Scottx125

• Gondorian Royal Tower Guard
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Police Dodge after update
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
The Dodge is improving although there are some problems:
Acceleration is abit too high.
Weight of the dodge is too low, causing the dodge to become unstable at 40mph +.
Traction is slightly too low.
Also theres this weird motion of the dodge to always drift left...

Although the update has added some significant improvements as of yet, so thank you for the last update.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:18:06 PM by ?«SG.Sup?? | Sir.Scottx125 »

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Police Dodge after update
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »

Acceleration is abit too high. I will drop back the horsepower down and play with the gear ratios to make it a bit less intense with acceleration.

Weight of the dodge is too low, causing the dodge to become unstable at 40mph +. The instability can mostly be attributed to the centre of mass not being correct (see below for info)

Traction is slightly too low. I spent two hours tuning the suspension, weight and wheel inertia to be in balance with each other but it looks like I'll need to keep trying.

Also theres this weird motion of the dodge to always drift left... Unfortunately there is a glitch with the model itself where the centre of mass defined by the game engine is not what it would be in real life. The only fix for this issue would be to use a new model for the car.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Thank you for responding w/ the intended improvements.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »
whoever made the car i think set the origin to the drivers seat.

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:43:09 AM »
Also, please change it back to dodge souunds rather than shelby.
what

Offline Bish

• PENIS IN A BOX
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
Seeing as how the model is kind of... junky... why not replace it with the TDM one, a lot nicer and better layout and LODs.  It may also make it faster and easier to get driving correctly.
For The Social Republic Of The Soviet Union

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
1: I <3 the shelby sounds, I feel like a badass chasing after people

2: I <3 the acceleration, but traction could be better

overall 8/10

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 03:02:02 AM »
Unfortunately we can't always have the best of both worlds.

If a vehicle goes too fast then the wheels won't maintain traction at high speeds and the body mass needs to be lighter without increasing horsepower otherwise the vehicle will spin out of control.

If a vehicle has high traction then it won't accelerate out of corners as well as it should, the suspension won't handle bumps and hills and the  body mass needs to be scaled up to stop it spinning out (thus killing off any drift capability).

I was asked to "make the charger go faster and make it drift" and it's simply not possible to have a high speed drifting vehicle with the current scripts. I will, however, attempt to drop back on the acceleration and play with the gear ratios to stop the sudden acceleration in first and second gear (current ratio is something like 4.6:1 and then moves to 1.6:1 so I'll tighten those up).

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »

If a vehicle goes too fast then the wheels won't maintain traction at high speeds and the body mass needs to be lighter without increasing horsepower otherwise the vehicle will spin out of control.

If a vehicle has high traction then it won't accelerate out of corners as well as it should, the suspension won't handle bumps and hills and the  body mass needs to be scaled up to stop it spinning out (thus killing off any drift capability).

I was asked to "make the charger go faster and make it drift" and it's simply not possible to have a high speed drifting vehicle with the current scripts. I will, however, attempt to drop back on the acceleration and play with the gear ratios to stop the sudden acceleration in first and second gear (current ratio is something like 4.6:1 and then moves to 1.6:1 so I'll tighten those up).

Is it then possible to pull some scripts from the OCRP 1.5 version? Car handling in that version was perfect.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

Is it then possible to pull some scripts from the OCRP 1.5 version? Car handling in that version was perfect.
GM13 broke them all afaik.

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »

GM13 broke them all afaik.
Not all of them, I remember some cars drove like they were on ice like the Lotus. But others like the bobcat were fine.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
Couldn't you simply use the updated TDM Dodge Charger to fix the center of mass problem? Yes, it is a civilian model, but you could still apply the old skin (or if necessary, I probably still have the image somewhere and could fit it to the new model) and change the emergency lights. Police cars without lightbars aren't all that atypical or uncommon.
Live free or die

Offline Jake

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »
Me personally, I do agree that there can't be a "best of both worlds", I think, that maybe we could keep the Charger how it was before we screwed with it, the only change I would say is to keep the Shelby sounds, because that is one thing that I really enjoy.

Same car
Same steering as before
Same speed as before
Shelby sounds instead of Charger sounds (tbh the charger sounds kind of kill the car)

I know 4 different coding languages, learning LUA right now. aw yis

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:36 AM »
Except the shelby sounds are the sounds of a classic muscle car, not a new age muscle. And yes there is a noticeable difference.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Something serious has to be done about many of the vehicles in the gamemode, this has been said many times and will keep going till it gets done, however devs; if you cant handle all the testing and balancing issues get community members to test the vehicles and fill out forms to give input, then you act on those accordingly to fix the vehicles. OR even ask community members to help with development. I dont care, whatever it takes to get this done since vehicles in this gamemode are fairly essential.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal