Author Topic: The future of technology and human augmentation  (Read 4732 times)

Offline This is Red

• The best color in the world is  not red.
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The future of technology and human augmentation
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
Before we begin, watch this video if you will.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKNMExLWaU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKNMExLWaU</a>

Done? Did you like what you saw?

So if you did watch the video, you should now know that the technology required to replace our limbs with machines is already here - sure, it isn't as fine tuned as Jensens robotic limbs, but as said in the video, technology advances quickly.

Imagine, replacing your arms with that of a machine, stronger and more flexible then your own arms ever could be. Having eyes that could see through wall and intergrate augmented reality. Legs that could make you run faste-- I think you get it.

I myself was never a really atheltic person, however, if the chance to become better in all these diffrent ways at the cost of my own limbs, i'm not so sure I would turn the idea away.

So, when this technology is available to the public, what would you do? Thoughts and opinions on the matter please.

Sorry this post isn't as long as the other post in table talk, but i'm looking more towards other peoples reaction to augmentation rather then giving out my own.
oh

Re: The future of technology and human augmentation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
As Deus Ex has already shown(And the Olympics) there would be a draft between "Augmented(Those aren't 'proper' augments)" people and Normal.
Take shooting sports for instance, If you were to replace my left arm with a bionic, even a modern day one I would have an advantage over a normal person. I could hold the rifle or bow perfectly steady and shoot perfect all the time. And in a competition that sometimes seems like who can spend the most wins, that won't help anyone at all.

Now in Deus Ex(Not HR) you have nano implants that help at the cellular level. Those would be much much more welcomed because they don't have to cut your arm off.

For some of the things in Human revolution... I place us less than five years away from what /they/ would consider basic augments. I've been curious about these sorts of things for a very long time now and I have been watching. in 2003 the most advance thing we had was a piece of plastic and metal that attached to the "Stump" now we have the blades, basic nerve interfacing, and more advance designs overall.
If I was asked if I wanted to replace my limb with a HR style augment, I would take a while to decide, What limb would it be? Why would I want to/need to replace it. Whats the downsides, How would it effect the people around me/my competition. How would I benefit from it.
If I lost my limbs in the line of duty(say military) or in a car crash, yes I would want something like in Deus Ex, but I wouldn't go crazy and all out with it.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal