Author Topic: The Outlandish Guide to White Knights and Dark Knights  (Read 6327 times)

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Outlandish Guide to White Knights and Dark Knights
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
This Guide should be short and sweet, nothing too hard to comprehend and understand.

WHITE KNIGHTS

White Knights are the main defense force against Crime RP (Mostly improper Crime RP) and OTA raids. White Knights do not have to bear the most powerful of weapons or wear the thickest of kevlar. They can be unarmed and weak refugees who wish to halt Crime RP and at least attempt to subdue an OTA raid. White Knights are often known for being these providers and players who will put their life on the line just for people to continue on with their lives. This is not the entire case. Some people can be White Knights and can still retreat when they feel like their own lives are being threatened. Also, another misconception amongst new players is that White Knights are fearless and shouldn't have to be afraid of anything if they carry kevlar and an Ar2, thus not following Fear RP.  White Knights are armored and armed Refugees who have as many fears as the average refugee. They may not have many fears and may be brave, but when there is a big enough force (Most likely 2-4 OTA units depending on how heavily outfitted said White Knight is) they will become frightened and have to follow Fear RP. Then, another misconception is that White Knights are also willing to trade generously. Some White Knights are as greedy and gun tight as the next refugee who received a gun fresh from the crate. Others are willing to trade, but they will require hefty payment. And few (very few) are generous with their munitions.

Now, White Knights are not commonly oppressive and authoritative when they try to enforce saftey and prevent muggings across the Outlands. They can be, but it is a rare trait among them. They will, however, hunt down individuals who have caused enough problems and enough chaos to gain their attention.

I.E: One man shoots three people and rapes a young girl. A White Knight hears about this and hunts him down. Once the White Knight has found this man and has subdued him, he/she is presented with several choices, here are some common ones:

• Let them live and Banish them from the Outlands
  • Execute them on the spot.
  • Exclude them from the Belles.
  • Take away all of their belongings and send them into the wilds of the Outlands
  • Etc.

The list could go on forever. But the basic explanation for this type of character, is the defensive character. They seek to defend, protect and control. Now, do not assume that just because someone is a White Knight, he/she can avoid having to RP being a survivalist. They are not Bear Grilles and automatically know how to live in the wild and survive under harsh conditions without authorizations.

DARK KNIGHTS

The Dark Knights are not commonly found in the Outlands (Mainly due to the large amount of White Knights), but hopefully this should change when the next map update. When most people think of Dark Knight, they think of....

Mugger
Looter
Constant Raider
Fearless(Just like the White Knight)
Evil

This is not the case. Most of those are things that White Knights are basically there to stop. In truth, Dark Knights are mainly Manipulatitive, Controlling, and at times very Solitary. Dark Knights do not have to carry around the biggest of weapons and the thickest of kevlar to be Dark Knights, although it would greatly increase the chances of a Dark Knight becoming a Dark Knight. The true purpose of a Dark Knight is to provide a rival for the White Knight instead of the day to day OTA raid and common Criminal fresh from the City looking to rape some girl. Dark Knights do not do petty crimes and most likely work alone. If they do form a group, then this group would include only those closest to the Dark Knight, to ensure that traitors do not end his/her life. Dark Knights are not commonly social and do not really open up to the public as often as White Knights do. Now, Dark Knights are not CONSTANTLY bad and evil. They do have a soft spot for the most part, as they are human as well. And they also have to follow Fear RP, just like the rest of us. If anything, most Dark Knights without weapons or muscle  would be characterized as manipulative cowards. If a Dark Knight ever gains control of an area, said area would most likely resemble that of the oppresiveness of a City operated by the Union. It will not be exactly like it, but it will seem like it, only a tad bit worse. Sometimes, when they gain control of an area, it could turn into a base of operations. It all depends on what they feel and how they feel like their RP should be managed.

Dark Knights don't really enforce/break the rules when it's not needed. They're not rebels to flat out society and they do not commonly engage an OTA patrol, although they are more likely to use refugees as bait to do so. Most that are highly aggresive and will set up ambushes and fight in a guerilla style. They're only greedy and self-centered. Most of them care about themselves and are commonly selfish when it comes to supplies. Trading is mostly corrupt between them and it's highly discouraged as they will most likely kill you in the end, reaping the rewards of both ends.

Fear RP and Dark Knighting is hard to understand. Think of it this way, your life is run by anger, hate and fear. Your anger and hate is driven by fear. Think of fear as gas and your anger and hate as the engine and the car and your greatest fear as the flame. If the fuel is exposed, then the car can't run. If the fuel is exposed to the flame, then it explodes. When a Dark Knight's fear, or anyones fear is cut loose, that person will enable the fight or flight response. Flight only produces the result of life. Fight can make someone very drastic and can lead them to make very risky/ineffective decisions. So, they will have to follow Fear RP in order to have a common weakness. They are humans, just humans driven by the wrong influences.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:18:30 PM by Kronos »

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Outlandish Guide to White Knights and Dark Knights
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:30 PM »
so a dark knight is an accurate representation of what a person should be like in a post-7 hour war setting where humanity is enslaved by the combine right

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
so a dark knight is an accurate representation of what a person should be like in a post-7 hour war setting where humanity is enslaved by the combine right

It is. But that's not the case for people in the OL. People like them are evil and aren't allowed with common society.....I'm trying to explain how close refugees are close to Dark Knights than White Knights......but i'm also trying to explain how close they are to White Knights as well....it's complicated if I try to explain it without using lameinences terms.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:58:03 AM »
lameinences terms.

I think you mean layman's terms.

In any case, this guide is probably going to make it neat and trendy to fit your character into a black-and-white archetype, and it's full of misleading information and half-truths. I really hope people who read this have the sense to not take it seriously.
o7

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:30 AM »
lameinences terms.

I think you mean layman's terms.

In any case, this guide is probably going to make it neat and trendy to fit your character into a black-and-white archetype, and it's full of misleading information and half-truths. I really hope people who read this have the sense to not take it seriously.

Most of this information was aquired from the administration team and from an actual observation of White Knighting in the OL. I literally have no idea how this is misleading or half true. Most of the examples actually happened and the causes actually happened as well. White Knights act like this, and I have no idea how you don't see it. Dark Knights were something like the Pact. And that's the clearest example I can provide for you.

I made this guide at around 3 a.m and responded to rage at around 4 a.m, so forgive me for having a typo.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
If you have no faith in the good of humanity, yes.

Speaking as an white knight the guide is accurate.

We aren't fearless, we are not flawless.
You see us acting "Baddass" and "Fearless" when it comes to danger its because we "have too" to keep moral and faith up, we hide our fears each and everyone of us do have fear and we will retreat when the danger is too much, some of us are selfish and may screw others to keep our selves alive.

Truth be told the stereotype is so far out of base that most peoples idea of white knights is wrong.
Each of us has flaws, Hell my character is so afraid of failing or having other people die for him that'd he take their place in any mission.

I know a number of them that drink.
We have our flaws and we do indeed fail quite often, I hope this guide provides a better understanding and removes that stereotype.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
I'm surprised at the lack of dark knights. It never ceases to amaze me. You could argue about "the good of humanity" but in reality we'd be crawling over each other to get one step up in the world- we do it now, why not in a  world that actively forces it.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
I'm surprised at the lack of dark knights. It never ceases to amaze me. You could argue about "the good of humanity" but in reality we'd be crawling over each other to get one step up in the world- we do it now, why not in a  world that actively forces it.

Me and Tray will be making Crip Characters with some....pretty extreme auths. I hope this characters will be used as the revival of Dark Knights, since my plan is to use said Dark Knight Character to capture the other town, forcing all those who are not with us, out of it. It's all kind of out there at the moment and it will be planned later. (I'm talking about the Character, not the guide. I'm completely finished with the Guide. If you have any questions/concerns/anything to add, please add me on steam and we'll talk about it or Forum PM me and we will discuss it there.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:35 AM »
outlands drama

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »
outlands drama

Seems you can't do a thing without causing drama. Kinda' sad. Not saying that doesn't happen in city but I find that we can have the UCH blown up one day and it wouldn't spill over onto the forums.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
No grey knights?

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
outlands drama
Useless post is useless.

There are some grey knights, just some people don't want to deal how complicated it gets.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
So we should be lazy at the cost of creating cardboard cutout characters?
o7

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
Grey knights are people who mainly jut stay out of everything, only siding with a group or general team if it applies to them somehow.

And guys, you don't have to be a 'white knight' or 'dark knight' or whatever. Any GOOD character should be able to shift through those categories depending on the situaton at hand. Their view on this kind of stuff should depend on a combination of their values, motives, resources, logical reasoning, feelings for the subject at hand, and what the subject actually is. No good character is going to run around going "im a white knight so im gonna run in guns blazing and saving everyone all the time!". That's an awful way of going about things, considering I highly doubt someone would realistically try and fight OTA to save a captured person that you might hate very much. And I also highly doubt that any 'dark knighted' character is going to completely abandon a close friend of their's purely for their own good.

tl;dr version: everyone needs to stop acting like they're either completely evil or super goodie awesome who comes to save the day whenever it's needed. Characters should have a  balance between these three areas raher than defining themsevles as the local superhero or the local villian.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
People can be doing good things, but for the wrong reasons, and likewise. Happens a lot with these "white knights" Truth it is that defining them as "White and dark" is wrong because there really isn't any true good or evil, everyone has their motives and reasons for it.
The reason Matt has for doing what he does is his own personal redemption, which is selfish.

Even in the CCA, you have recruits join for the right reasons, and get corrupted down the road(How it's suppose to be).

Where on outlands, you can have a character that doesn't get involved in anything and wants to keep out, but ends up getting forced to take a stand because no one else will(Like me.) the reason why I ICly pursue bad people like an angle of death is for VERY IC reasons, I OOCly do want out bad and "Gray" characters and there's a lot that people do that are bad but are for a good reason(Beans was basically evil but he was trying to protect his family).

Truth is, last time we hand a big band of "Dark knights" it was horrible, there was abuse, OOC drama and all that. But I think we can try it again and shoot for it to work. Why? Because ICly people where afraid, they banded together, and there was a lot more distrust and anger in outlands as well as fear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal