Author Topic: Frolie's Outlands Appeal (ye another)  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Frolie's Outlands Appeal (ye another)
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »
Steam Name: Frolie
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:41729694
Character Name: Layla 'Razors' Blackburn
Reason for the switch: (OOC) Want to RP on one of my favorite characters, until Outlands returns. (IC) Keeping an eye on Joanna, Seeking in-city contacts

If required, write a detailed backstory on how your character left the Outlands:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Layla pushes open the thick metal storm-door of the safehouse. She's wrapped up in some of her warmest clothing, and looks to be carrying most of her belongings.

"I'm leaving, for a bit. Following your girl into the city."

Eli looks over his shoulder. He’s still covered in bandages and gauze from his recovery, he seems to have been working on something when she stepped in. He slowly gets up from his chair, turning around to look at her.

"... That's a rather dangerous decision to make, don't you think?"

"I got here from City 27. You think I can't walk a few dozen miles and slip into Precinct Three?"

Eli taps his forehead with his index finger twice, and says, "I think you'll get chased the second you step in there. Luco is in the city… You don't think I'd forget something so simple, did you?"

Layla looks down towards the hard-wood floor, almost guiltily.

"Maybe Luco is part of the reason I'm going."

Eli sighs, taking off his glasses for a moment to rub his eyes, and putting them back on. He again begins the same lecture he’s given Layla a thousand times. "Razors, blind revenge isn't going to get anything done...  How can I trust you'll go there and won't just get yourself killed in the first 10 minutes you get in?"

Layla scowls at Eli, her icy expression speaking before she does.

"I'm not a child; I can take care of myself. I only let you know as a gratuity, I didn't have to."

She bites her lip, anxiously anticipating the answer to her next question.

"Maybe... you could go with me."

Eli stares at her for a few seconds, not saying a word and keeping a strong stance. "... You know I can't, people still need me here, and I won't abandon them.”

He pauses, searching for words.

"Joanna is there though, that's as close to me being there as we'll get right now... Besides, I'm sure she has 'something' to talk to you about."

Layla adjusts the cold-weather scarf sagging around her shoulders, straightening her posture to address Eli more professionally.

"I've got other reasons for going there, too. I want to get a connection with one of the resistance networks, or smuggling connections. Something, or someone, I could use to farm stuff into the Valley. Besides, I feel somehow obligated to look out for Jo... She was the only one who cared enough to treat me after I got shot by Matt.”

Layla pauses to find more words, and coming up lacking.

"So, I'm headed out... Don't miss me too much."

Eli keeps looking at her intently, seemingly thinking.

"Hold on."

He turns around, digging around in his desk for a moment. He takes out a small envelope from inside, turning around once again and approaching her, handing her the envelope.

"Give this to Joanna when you get there,” He says as she takes the envelope in her hand "Just try to not get yourself killed out there, Layla. You're more important to this place than some people think or are willing to admit.”[/b]

Layla shakes her head dismissively; if it weren't so unbefitting for her psyche, her expression might even be perceived as sad.

"The people have a funny way of showing it..."

Eli thinks for a moment, speaking words from experience.

"It happens in our line of work."

Layla slips the envelope into her bag, patting the pocket it's in as if to assure Eli of it's safe-keeping.

"I guess. When I get back, we might need to talk about some things... But it can wait."

Eli nods. It's clear he has his apprehensions about her going to the city, but it's important enough to let her do it.

"Better go before anyone else catches you hanging around here, they're not as forgiving as I am, unfortunately."

Layla nods, turning and twisting open the door to leave. Just before she exits, she turns to say something.

"Eli, you're... I-"

She seems to choke on her own words, too anxious to finish the sentence. She abruptly pushes her way out the door, cutting Eli off from saying anything in response.

Eli leans against the wall as she leaves, watching the door for a moment to make sure she doesn't decide to come back for some other reason. He talks somberly out loud to himself thoughtfully:

"... She's going to need all the help she can get..."

Layla turns the collar of her jacket upwards against her cheek, cushioning the fierce blow of the mountain winds. She pulls a glove off with her teeth, using the freed hand to dig around inside her jacket pocket. From inside it, she removes a weathered, and wrinkled map of the Romanian Mountains, pausing briefly behind a rock to study it.

Layla shuts her eyes; images flicker past in her head, tracing the path she took so many months ago from City 27 into the Outlands; Ruins, road, rock, town, junkyard, freeway, sign. Her eyelids quiver as the struggles to focus on the details. Sign...

Pitesti, Bucharest, Ploesti.

Bucharest.

Layla opens her eyes, staring back at the cotton map. She traces her fingers across the dotted-lines, marking public-access roads, leading up to a single intersection. She rubs her neck, thinking to herself.

I can find my way to the sign... Follow the road into the City.

She folds the map in half, then into qaurters, before stuffing it into her pocket and donning her glove again, trudging out across the snow down towards the road.

Pacing briskly down the blacktop of the road, Layla stops mid-stride, delicately turning her head behind her. Something had caught her eye, or she had heard something, or smelled something. Something was different, suddenly.

The survival instinct that had kept her alive her whole life forced her actions:

Get off the road.

Layla makes a 90 degree turn, darting off through the small barrier of snow-covered terrain between the road and the thick brush. She wriggles her way into a secure hiding place, safe from view of the road, before sliding her bag off her shoulder, and tearing it open, digging around inside desperately for her weapon.

The roar of a vehicle blares not too far away, only suddenly audible.

Panic clutches at Layla, like a fist being closed around her stomach. She digs frantically inside her bag, eventually finding a second, brown-paper bag stashed away inside it. She digs inside, pulling her Nine Millimeter USP Match, and the magazine inside the bag as well. She shoves the clip into the empty niche of the grip, then pulls back the slide. She pauses, just a second more, before clicking off the safety.

The vehicle, which was tearing down the road just a minute ago, seemed to be slowing to a stop. With an amateur application of the breaks, it skids to a stop. The driver gets out, as well as someone in the back-left seat.

"I told you not to drink the beer, you were just going to be pissin' half-way through the trip."

Layla's neck creened out from behind her safe cover, examining the pair and the vehicle. Both men were in their 30s or 40s, and there was a third passenger, a female, asleep in the seat opposite the driver's side.

One of the men, sporting a unshaven chin and a .357 in his waistband, approached the brush where Layla cowered, marching into the thick forest.

"I'll just be a second, then we'll be on the road ag'in."

Layla curls her head back behind the tree, just as the man pushes apart the brush to head further into the woods. The other man says something inaudible as Layla holds her breath, not making a single sound. The man passes right by her, undoing his fly nearby a tree.

Layla rises from the snowy dead grass, her pistol at waist-height primed for the man's mid-section

"Don't turn, don't talk, don't move."

The man jumps somewhat, startled by the sudden voice. It takes him only a second or two to adjust to the change of scenario.

"I've got nothing worth taking, so if you see it fit to rob me, you'll get nothing out of it."

"You've got a revolver in your waist-band and a fueled truck on the road. Both seem like pretty good loot, if I were to take them."

"Then shoot me and try your best to deal with my friend. I promise you, it won't be easy."

Layla clicks on the safety, lower the barrel of her firearm down towards the dirt.

"I'm not a robber, and I don't seek to kill you or your friend."

The man zips his trousers back into place and turns. Long, thin, and matted hair line his aquiline facial features, and the rugged unshaven shadow that has developed across his chin and cheeks gave him the appearance of a refugee; an experienced one at that. A brief scar went from his left cheek-bone down towards the edge of his nose, and carvings of wrinkles and creases lined his face here and there.

"If you don't mean to kill me, or rob me, what do you mean to do?"

Layla shrugs.

"Hitch a ride, maybe."

The man chuckles, a deep, bassy, and condescending laugh.

"Why should I? I've got no reason to call you friend. You snuck up on me while I was having a piss, and pointed a pea-shooter at me."

"I didn't shoot you, did I? That should tell you enough to know that I'm not a petty crook. Out here, one hand washes the other. You give me a ride, and I'll pay you back."

The man cocks his head.

"Pay me? With what."

Layla's eyes crawled across every detail of his physique; The hair, the face, the shirt, the hoodie, the jeans, the teeth-

The teeth. Tobacco Stains.

"You're a smoker?"

"Yeah, what of it."

"I'll give you what's left of my pack of cigarettes and One-Thousand Token Bills if you can drive me as close to Bucharest as you're comfortable."

"Bucharest? That's City 45, ain't it? Most folks are trying to get out of the cities, not crawl back in."

"You want what I've got, or no?"

The man pauses to think, eventually giving a brief nod in affirmation. He walks back down the hill, through the brush, expecting Layla to follow.

Back at the truck, the other passenger looks confused at Layla as they work down towards the car.

"We've picked up a Hitch-Hiker?"

The opposite man nodded, "Aye, this is..." He turned, facing Layla. "You didn't give a name, you know."

Layla pushed open the passenger side door, calling out her moniker and she slammed it closed again: "Razors."

Both men again re-enter their vehicle, assuming their position for the road-trip once again.

"I'm Jag, his name's Shaun. Now everyone get comfortable, we've got a few hours ahead of us."

They had passed the sign about 15 minutes ago. Layla knew that they drew close, not just because of the looming city landscape but because of the rank odor of metal and fuel and blood.

The car slowly slide to a halt. Shaun turns from the passenger's seat, addressing Layla.

"I drove you where you wanted, now give me what you promised."

Layla leans in, setting a stack of CCA token bills, and her last package of Beans' cigarettes on the dashboard (minus four, of course; she had to keep some for herself).

"Thanks for the lift. If you need a place to stay when you're riding through the valley, I'll make sure there's a spot for you."

Jag nodded, though somewhat dismissively. It was obvious that he didn't enjoy her company, and would prefer it if this business were wrapped up quickly.

Layla crept out of the vehicle, and quietly shoved the door closed. The red glare of the headlights illuminated her path for a moment as the car backed up, and lurched back the way it came. Layla wasted no time in finding the nearest canal access; she'd heard tale of how simple it was to access the city through these useful portals. Clicking on her flashlight, she began the slow, 15 minutes of claustrophobic mission through the damp tunnels, into Precinct Three.

Extra Notes:

It should be noted that the character is in possesion of both a Nine Millimeter, and an SMG (as well as two boxes of ammunition for the pistol, and one box for the SMG).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:13:02 AM by Frolie »
I'm a fag

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Frolie's Outlands Appeal (ye another)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Bringing an smg and large auths to the city because you want to watch one of your own characters and you're 'bored'
What, this is absurd

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
please explain how you managed to arrive at the city through the canals plz they are closed off if you have actually botthered to look in the map

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
Feel free to call me out on this but I'm fairly sure this char going to the city to watch out for another one of your chars breaks the interaction rule. However I think the char in the city belongs to Elions? Not too sure on this.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
What the above people said

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
Bringing an smg and large auths to the city because you want to watch one of your own characters and you're 'bored'
What, this is absurd

You're entitled to your opinion, although I honestly expected this reaction from both you and hogs. I guess, on paper, it might look a little 'absurd', but it's markedly frustrating on the wait for Outlands, and in the backstory, the dialogue exchange between Eli and Layla set up some RP for both me and Elions there.

As far as 'high profile' activities go, I have no interest in them. In fact, I'd be quite fine with my inventory being wiped before I entered the city, of course, pending that I get them back on my return to Outlands. I have no interest in stirring up the hive during my stay.

please explain how you managed to arrive at the city through the canals plz they are closed off if you have actually botthered to look in the map

I might point out here in, that the entire map is sealed off, canals included. I looked through other applications, curious as to how those characters entered the city, but found little relevant information. That being said, I partook in that most dastardly of crimes; I used a little imagination.

Given that the canals are really one of the only routes that seemed at all connected easily to the outside world, I figured that made the most sense. That, in and of itself, is likely the biggest flaw with this application, and indeed with most others: there's really no IC route in and out of the city.

Feel free to call me out on this but I'm fairly sure this char going to the city to watch out for another one of your chars breaks the interaction rule. However I think the char in the city belongs to Elions? Not too sure on this.
[/quote

The character Layla is going to look for / protect is Joanna 'Tragedy' Sinbow, a character of Elions. There's no infringement of the interaction rule taking place here, trust me.
I'm a fag

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
As far as 'high profile' activities go, I have no interest in them. In fact, I'd be quite fine with my inventory being wiped before I entered the city, of course, pending that I get them back on my return to Outlands. I have no interest in stirring up the hive during my stay.

I don't mean to be harsh here but it seems kind of stupid that you are fine with a wipe as long as you get your items back..? That kind of just violates the point of an inventory wipe, does it not? What you're essentially saying is you'll just dump all your gear and you will know for a fact no one will take it, which seems unlikely given how much traffic there would be in and out of the city

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
I was trying to demonstrate that I have little intent to use the weapons within the city. If having them removed temporarily is an issue, then I could keep them during my stay: all the same, I intend to still be armed when I return to Outlands.
I'm a fag

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
There's a lot of people waiting for Outlands to come back who aren't returning their characters to the City because, well...they're waiting.
If you're so bored and can't wait for Outlands, do what I did and start developing a Char on city that could potentially be used on Outlands later or maybe make an impact. You can RP and not have to use your extremely OP characters.

And also, if you were to die/be caught in the City, you won't be able to just return to Outlands, so there's always that risk.

Tl;Dr step away from your OP chars for a bit while your waiting and just make a char on City.

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
You can RP and not have to use your extremely OP characters.

Tl;Dr step away from your OP chars for a bit while your waiting and just make a char on City.

Characters are only as 'Over-Powered' as their OOC players use them. Layla's unique blend of skills definately grant her a abilities and venues of 'attack' that others don't have, but to say that they character is OP, I'd say that you have to cite events or examples of situations where I have abused the character's auths for personal gain.

Tl;DR? I'll shorten it up: Don't try to pursue a smear campaign against a character unless you fully intend to back it up properly.

Further more...

And also, if you were to die/be caught in the City, you won't be able to just return to Outlands, so there's always that risk.

You act as though I don't recognize the inherent risk involved in what I intend to do...
I'm a fag

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
I was trying to demonstrate that I have little intent to use the weapons within the city. If having them removed temporarily is an issue, then I could keep them during my stay: all the same, I intend to still be armed when I return to Outlands.

What you're essentially telling me is that no matter what we say, you'll be armed. Is this assumption correct?

Characters are only as 'Over-Powered' as their OOC players use them. Layla's unique blend of skills definately grant her a abilities and venues of 'attack' that others don't have, but to say that they character is OP, I'd say that you have to cite events or examples of situations where I have abused the character's auths for personal gain.

Tl;DR? I'll shorten it up: Don't try to pursue a smear campaign against a character unless you fully intend to back it up properly.

I'm not entirely sure how you could link an 'overpowered' character to abuse exactly - not once did he mention that you abused your skills or whatever, he simply stated the character was overpowered which I assume has to do with your auths or something like that

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
What you're essentially telling me is that no matter what we say, you'll be armed. Is this assumption correct?

What I mean is, it doesn't matter whether I'm armed in the city or not, but it would be far preferable to be armed when I'm in the Outlands again. Whether that means ICly leaving the weapons behind, taking them with me, or ICly ignoring the firearm angle all together, it matters little to me within the city.
I'm a fag

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »

What I mean is, it doesn't matter whether I'm armed in the city or not, but it would be far preferable to be armed when I'm in the Outlands again. Whether that means ICly leaving the weapons behind, taking them with me, or ICly ignoring the firearm angle all together, it matters little to me within the city.

You're going to have to make a choice, and you won't be able to just ignore the fact you have firearms altogether

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
Inventory wipes are not an IC thing as people seem to be implying in the thread,  if Frolie has to have his weapons wiped  because "guns arent allowed in the city omg" why not just settle on "Character left her weapons with a friend locked up/in the inn locked up/somewhere like that to travel lightly into the city, then when she returns her weapons will be returned as they were"? Otherwise I don't see why Frolie can't keep his weapons on the char if the rules on that were made less severe

e: wanted to post before frolie, leaving it here anyway

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Honestly, from our characters first meet, yours always had some type of bad/nasty attitude. You hated anyone for no reason and everything for no reason. You only liked people who could get you more powerful items. In City, that's not going to happen, not one bit. If you're going to City with these auths and items, I am positive that you'll act superior to those who don't have it and even though you contacted me on steam for me not to target you, I'm having the feeling you're just telling me to roll over on my belly while you take the final jab. Correct me if i'm wrong on any of this, but i'm just bringing back your past behavior/acts and I'm not sure if this is all for protection reasons.

Also your molotov auth's might hinder your trek here, along with the chloroform. I'm not sure it's the best idea for you to come man. City was not made for fully outfitted criminals with gear to the ass and unbelieveable auth'd skills.

Also this....

-Character is clearly uncomfortable with the use of the molitov in the backstory,
      and therefor would only use it in situations where she is extremely irate. Given
      that circumstance, it's possibly that the character could act irrationally and do
      damage to herself

This is a defect from your auth app. As said, your character is easily irritated. So I can see you using these often to strike fear into those you do not favor. Burning down the City and those inside it will not create RP, just more enraged people complaining about losing their characters and adding more of a work load on S4 thus interefering with their passive RP.

Now i'm not saying you will burn down the City, i'm saying you have the potential to do it. And now that i've stated that you have the potential to do it, you will deny that you will do it.But when someone tries to rape you, I can see a molotov flying towards their face.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal