Author Topic: Violent videogames and Mass murderers  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Violent videogames and Mass murderers
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »
Alright yeah I think of it as that yeah it can happen to people, and regardless if people say it will never happen to me it can, but its the one in a million people who actually do it. Millions of people play games where you shoot, rob, or even run over people just for entertainment doesn't mean they will arm themselves to the teeth, and murder someone or themselves. It's more of the person who is playing the game if they are totally wanting to kill, and do violent acts before video games then yeah that's a bit of a give away. Someone who does it just to kill time or have fun shouldn't won't do this, and I've also noticed with a more older age that it's almost a label on that all kids have violent thoughts now, and ect. On the other side though video games also provide good traits, and teach kids leader ship such as commanding a small squad of people. They can develop to be strategic by playing games like real time strategy. Maybe even lead them towards a career in gaming or military  works. So it has it's up's, and downs basically though in a main point it isn't bad to play violent video games, and yeah it can cause it but it's the one in a million people that actually do something violent. Just because one person does something bad over the cause of a violent game doesn't mean the rest of the hundreds of people who game should suffer.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Howard Biggs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
I am not being Jack Thompson here everyone, I am actually against it.
My ideology, is that if someone picks up a gun and shoots people than Video Games are just scapegoats.
It bothers me that some people just blame gaming for shooting incidents.
That is like me blaming HL2RP for telling me how to shoot.
Nothing gives you practice to shoot except picking up a gun.
Now I know that Gun Laws control weapons.
But they do not stop people from getting guns.
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold got their weapons illegally.
Weapons are used to keep people from your home and for self-protection.
Someone is going to use a legal 'self-protection' gun and start shooting anyone in his/her way.
I am not saying that we should allow people to kill.
I am saying that if someone kills than how can we stop them from getting weapons in the first place.
Anybody can make a weapon or illegally manufacture weapons.
I know that I have a different ideology to you, but trust me... I know a lot of things about gun laws and weapons.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
It's always blamed on violent video games because that's the only real scapegoat they can place it on without causing a shitstorm in the media. I mean, think about it, other than the internet, where gamers reside, where else are they going to vent about it? They aren't really as able to make a large, public coherent return to the arguement as other scapegoats would, gun laws for an example. If they blamed it directly on gun control/laws, liberals and conservatives would obviously have a big arguement about it on the news, which exists via internet, TV, newspaper, etc. That's personally my take on why they blame it on video games instead of guns, but both those are NOT the reason why this kind of stuff happens in the first place.

This stuff happens because those people aren't mentally right. I mean, what kind of sensible thinking human being would be able to walk into a school, shoot a bunch of kids and some adults, and then kill themself? No person in there right mind with be emotionally okay with something like that, let alone find a logical reason behind it. The people who do stuff like this aren't functioning right in their heads. I've found that American society, and pretty much modern society as a whole, doesn't really want to pay attention to the whole 'mental illness' side of things. I mean sure, on a larger level, people'll think that mentally ill people need help, that there should be a system for them, etc. But if there's someone in your family who's got a real mental illness, who really wants to admit that? Physical illnesses usually cause people to feel sorry, and the common person can somewhat understand their pain, but a mental one? No one really has an idea of what goes on in their mind unless you've experienced that before, creating an awkward, confusing situation. Seeing that, I think it makes it difficult for people to really admit/confront mental illnesses with people they know, especially their family members and close friends. Since nobody close to these people is really tackling their problems and helping them, it just boils around. That's where you get your psycopaths, serial killers, and home-grown terrorists like these people. That's my whole take on this kinda stuff.

Also, I think this should be moved to Table Talk. Seems more fitting for that section!  :D

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
I love how video games (a popular market for children and young adults) are to blame for most murders, when most of them are genuinely void of WAY too much imitable violence (unless you count this CoD crap which hardly encourages violence, but does add up in army recruitment numbers), but adult soap operas and movies (keep in mind it is adults who commit most murders, not children) are a-OK. Violence in video games relating to real life is just a media tactic and nothing more. Anyone who truly believes this is either a smothering parent or a moron.
im bach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal