Author Topic: Mass Shootings in the Last Five Years & Gun Control  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mass Shootings in the Last Five Years & Gun Control
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:23 PM »
Virginia Tech
April 2007

Seung-Hui Cho opens fire on students and professors of Virginia Polytechnic Institute, killing 32 and wounding 17. Cho subsequently commits suicide with one of his firearms.

Westroads Mall
December 2007

19-Year-Old Robert Hawkins equips a semi-automatic rifle to kill 8 and wound 4. Shortly after, he takes his own life.

Covina, California
December 2008

Husband and father Bruce Jeffery Pardo, clothed in a Santa Claus outfit, utilizes a four handguns and a homemade flamethrower to kill 9 and injure 3. He kills himself shortly after.

Geneva County
March 2009

Michael McLinden kills 11 people, among them his wife and 18-Month-Old baby. After engaging in a shootout with police, the perpetrator is found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Carthage Nursing Home
March 2009

Robert Stewart, armed with a shotgun, a revolver, and a semi-automatic pistol, kills 7 seniors and 1 nurse before being apprehended by police.

Binghamton Civic Center
April 2009

Vietnamese Immigrant Jiverly Antares Wong kills a 13 immigrants from a variety of countries before killing himself.

Fort Hood
November 2009

U.S. Army Major Nidal Hasan opens fire at Fort Hood, Texas, killing 13 people and wounding 42.

Hartford Distributors
August 2010

Omar Thornton, formerly an employee at Hartford Distributors, kills 9 and wounds two others before turning his weapon on himself.

Tucson Shooting
January 2011

US Representative Gabrielle Giffords, among 19 others are shot outside of a grocery store in Tucson, Arizona by Jared Lee Loughner. She and 12 others survive; six people die.

Seal Beach
October 2011

Scott Evans Dekraai, armed with three separate pistols, fires on civilians inside the hair-dressing salon where his wife is employed. Of the 9 shot, only 1 survived.

Oikos University
April 2012

One L. Goh, a South Korean immigrant and former nursing student, fires on student in Oikos University in Oakland, California. He kills 7 and wounds 3.

The Dark Knight Rises Massacre
July 2012

In Aurora, Colorado, James Holmes armors himself in a ballistic helmet and bullet-proof vest before shooting up a theater during the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes kills 12 and injures 59.

Sikh Temple Shooting
August 2012

White supremacist Wade Page storms a Sikh temple with a Semi-Automatic pistol. He kills 6, and wounds 4, including the responding officer. Page kills himself shortly after.

Portland Mall
December 2012

A shooter still unidentified by the police fires on crowds in a Portland, Oregon mall, killing 2 and them himself.

Sandy Hook Elementary
December 2012

This one just today; A yet unidentified shooter opened fire in the halls and classrooms of an Elementary School, killing 28, 20 of them children.

I don't know what needs to be done about this. Maybe the screening process needs to be reinforced, or maybe guns need to be eliminated from the hands of Americans entirely. Discuss it below, because this shit is distressing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:55:26 PM by Frolie »
I'm a fag

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mass Shootings in the Last Five Years & Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
It scares me to know that there are people out there that believe the right way to handle this situation is to make guns illegal.

If someone is mentally disturbed enough to kill dozens of people, he'll do it whether or not guns are legal.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
It scares me to know that there are people out there that believe the right way to handle this situation is to make guns illegal.

If someone is mentally disturbed enough to kill dozens of people, he'll do it whether or not guns are legal.
Pretty much this. Like drugs are now, if guns were illegalized it'd only create a black market for them, costing the government even more money to try to fight something they'll never succeed doing.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »
Pretty much this. Like drugs are now, if guns were illegalized it'd only create a black market for them, costing the government even more money to try to fight something they'll never succeed doing.

australia has really tight gun laws and we don't get massacres occurring every few months

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »

australia has really tight gun laws and we don't get massacres occurring every few months
Australia also doesn't have the weapons trade that America has, or the already existent black market we have. Getting illegal guns is already as easy as getting pot.
Live free or die

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Australia also doesn't have the weapons trade that America has, or the already existent black market we have. Getting illegal guns is already as easy as getting pot.

This this this this. Mexico and America mixed together isn't good. There is a large black market going on between the two that involve drugs and guns. Australia is isolated from a lot of countries, it's an island p much.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
I can relate to what raged is saying here, in the UK we almost never have massacres, we have gun regulations all over so the only thing we worry about is knife crime.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »
To be honset outlawing Guns would be imposible to do now in America for a few reasons. Mostly its due to the fact that there are now a HUGE ammount of Guns in America, owned by thousands of people all over the place. Its easy in Europe and Australlia because no one has Guns bar the Goverment officials who have them. Secondly the people there won't allow it, Americans have a set of traditions that they refuse to give up, it's deep set in the America lifeystyle and it's something they won't give up, just like how Muslims won't eat pork or French people will eat Bagutes...

Anyway I honestly think it would be FAR better not to allow everyone to have Guns, their one of the most horrible inventions man has ever made and I see no reason why anyone would want to own something that simply has the intention of existing to kill. Its absurd, but like I said, America has deep set traditions that cannot be removed, so I have to accept it. But yeah, in Britain and Australlia and many European countries we have serial killers and murders and insane people helbent on killing, but they kill much less, its slightly more psychotic but less are killed and less frequently.

However, like people have said, no matter how hard we try or how much effort we put into restricting the use of weapons of any kind, man will always kill man as it is in our nature, it just comes as more of a shock to us now days  as it happens less frequently.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
Guns are tools, people kill.
If I wanted to, I could kill a man with any tool ever invented.
Guns are used to hunt, now granted there are bows for that (Which I can go out and buy with out anything and still easily massacre people with) but its harder to take most game with that/its plain old dangerous.
Because of how things are in America you can't restrict guns, it'll cause more problems then it solves, take Washington D.C for example, when the handgun ban was over turned, Crime went /DOWN/ 25%.
I'm going to make another post but I got to go to work right now.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
Guns are used to hunt, now granted there are bows for that (Which I can go out and buy with out anything and still easily massacre people with) but its harder to take most game with that/its plain old dangerous.
Because of how things are in America you can't restrict guns, it'll cause more problems then it solves, take Washington D.C for example, when the handgun ban was over turned, Crime went /DOWN/ 25%.

It's also in the bill of rights to own firearms, and there is a HUGE/IMPORTANT reason as to why it's there. The main reason was if the government turned all corrupt and had a dictator/king, the people could overthrow the said person. Guns are not just to kill, they are to have fun too without hurting others. I.E. Going to a shooting range and just shooting targets.

Anyways, guns will never be illegal in America. I wouldn't be surprised if the southern states try to start another civil war. Texas is already trying to secede from the nation because of it's current leader lol.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
I don't know why people jump to banning guns so quickly after stuff like this. Let me just outline why I think outlawing guns won't solve this particular problem at all. Firstly, there are already so many guns out there and it's easy enough to get them it wouldn't do anything. But IF the government somehow did take away all the guns, and did somehow make it really hard to get guns, there's plenty of other ways to massacre people. Making a bomb, going on a car rampage, using a knife/axe/chainsaw/sword/weedwacker. It doesn't really matter with the means. A family friend of mine was telling me that today, some man in China knifed around 10 young children waiting for school. Guns aren't the only way to kill people, it's just among the easiest ways to do so, along with almost a guarentee you can kill yourself with a shot to the head.

The main issue behind these massacres is that mental disorders aren't taken seriously enough in American society. I mena, people don't want to think their friends/family/children have something like that. I find that it's seen as something to be ashamed of, and too difficult to accept, let along go through the process of fixing. People develop these terrible things in their heads, clearly not right. I mean, what kind of sensible person would shoot 20 kindergarteners? None that I can think of. These people are severly messed up in the head, and rather than tackle THAT problem, politicians and US society as a whole would rather lock these people in a padded box or brush them under the rug. This is what happens when we try that approach.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

It's also in the bill of rights to own firearms, and there is a HUGE/IMPORTANT reason as to why it's there. The main reason was if the government turned all corrupt and had a dictator/king, the people could overthrow the said person. Guns are not just to kill, they are to have fun too without hurting others. I.E. Going to a shooting range and just shooting targets.

Anyways, guns will never be illegal in America. I wouldn't be surprised if the southern states try to start another civil war. Texas is already trying to secede from the nation because of it's current leader lol.

This, also because being invaded by a foreign power was a much more present threat back when it was conceived. Still even today, if there were by some chance, an invasion of the U.S. by foreign powers, current gun ownership would make occupation literally impossible.

If the French populace during World War Two had the same ratio of guns to people that the U.S. currently has, the Germans would have been torn to pieces by 1943.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
Pretty much what Redrum said. I am an overall democratic and more liberal peace loving person, but outlawing guns won't solve anything. Outlawing guns will simply take firearms from civilians, do you think that id someone wanted to rob a store, they'd take the 6-7 month and several hundred dollar process of getting the proper licensing and buying a firearm? There's a reason these illegal firearms have no serial number, BECAUSE THEY'RE ILLEGAL.

My friend, 14 at the time, took a train to Chinatown and proceeded to buy an outlawed (Because it was extremely large) combat knife. He also told me they had revolvers and an unloaded AK47 on the wall. I mean, for Christ sake, it's as easy to buy a gun as a 14 year old as it is to buy pot as an 18 year old.

Outlawing guns solves nothing, if anyone was determined enough, they could find guns quite easily. Keep in mind that I live in Boston, a rather second rate city.
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
I recently had a school debate on this, (Which I crushed everyone else in)

I am for regulation of fire arms, but not completely outlawing them. The root of the problem lies in the regulation of them. Anyone can walk into a gunstore in Arizona, buy a fully automatic rifle and enough ammo to take down an army and leave with it the same day. It is also insane on how you do not need a permit to conceal your weapon. Incase you're having trouble keeping up, that is fucking insane. None of the people that roll up to schools and mow down the place are past criminals. They are all white boys with a history of bullying, mental disorders and an etapus complex.
The real criminals get them illegally anyway, and none of these angry white boys have the connections or indeed the knowledge to go undergroun d and get them from the black market.

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
I recently had a school debate on this, (Which I crushed everyone else in)

I am for regulation of fire arms, but not completely outlawing them. The root of the problem lies in the regulation of them. Anyone can walk into a gunstore in Arizona, buy a fully automatic rifle and enough ammo to take down an army and leave with it the same day. It is also insane on how you do not need a permit to conceal your weapon. Incase you're having trouble keeping up, that is fucking insane. None of the people that roll up to schools and mow down the place are past criminals. They are all white boys with a history of bullying, mental disorders and an etapus complex.
The real criminals get them illegally anyway, and none of these angry white boys have the connections or indeed the knowledge to go undergroun d and get them from the black market.

In California at least, there are classes that you need to take to get a Concealed Carry permit, and even then you can't take your firearm onto certain premises such as schools or hospitals. The classes are taught by former law enforcement and even before you can enroll, you're taken in for a background check.

That is some regulation that I wouldn't mind, as the same checks are for the most part the same for buying a firearm, and then you also have a waiting period. It isn't outlawing guns, it's making sure the recipient is able to handle the responsibility. That is what the gun situation should be. The real problem is the media being utter ratings whores and the failing mental institutions, but that is a subject for another rant.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal