Author Topic: Ineu Pass Fuel supply!  (Read 11528 times)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ineu Pass Fuel supply!
« on: November 02, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Here's a question that's been getting to me recently.

Where are you people getting fuel for your cars?

If you have a car in the Outlands, where are you getting the gas? Ineu Pass is home to numerous generators which are all consuming vast amounts weekly. The old bunker must have needed huge quantities of fossil fuels! The fact is that Ineu Pass has to now be drained dry. I'm fine with generators and what have you but the fact people just hop in their cars and whiz around the valley is completely unrealistic. I've heard people are stockpiling jerry cans, if so, WHERE? How many? How did you get them? The fact there is no oil drilling machines in the pass, nor is there any refinery, suggests that is should be impossible at this point to simply find gas. All the ruined cars are drained, that's what people would do once gas became scarce. At this point, winter 2017, there should be no more gas in Ineu pass. 

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Re: Ineu Pass Fuel supply!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »

If you have a car in the Outlands, where are you getting the gas? Ineu Pass is home to numerous generators which are all consuming vast amounts weekly. The old bunker must have needed huge quantities of fossil fuels! The fact is that Ineu Pass has to now be drained dry. I'm fine with generators and what have you but the fact people just hop in their cars and whiz around the valley is completely unrealistic. I've heard people are stockpiling jerry cans, if so, WHERE? How many? How did you get them? The fact there is no oil drilling machines in the pass, nor is there any refinery, suggests that is should be impossible at this point to simply find gas. All the ruined cars are drained, that's what people would do once gas became scarce. At this point, winter 2017, there should be no more gas in Ineu pass.
First, the bunker doesn't have power.
Second, you assume all the cars are drained after two years? Really? I would assume that the gas station also had/has fuel in it.
Third, there's only three/four cars last I checked(Beans, mine, Violets) and we don't drive more then a mile at best or so at best.

Basically everyone was rounded up(Sparring a few well trained survivors) and put in the cites, and a route to Ineu pass wasn't really known till we went there because of the combine, so there would have been VERY little tapping on the gas supplies.
And over all, if this was suppose to be super realistic, then the combine would have to give up their cloaks and some of their more advance augmentations, will they do that? Not likely.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

First, the bunker doesn't have power.
Second, you assume all the cars are drained after two years? Really? I would assume that the gas station also had/has fuel in it.
Third, there's only three/four cars last I checked(Beans, mine, Violets) and we don't drive more then a mile at best or so at best.

Basically everyone was rounded up(Sparring a few well trained survivors) and put in the cites, and a route to Ineu pass wasn't really known till we went there because of the combine, so there would have been VERY little tapping on the gas supplies.
And over all, if this was suppose to be super realistic, then the combine would have to give up their cloaks and some of their more advance augmentations, will they do that? Not likely.

To the first point: It did have power and was operating with some impressive tech before it was destroyed.
Secondly: Your cars are probably not very fuel efficient and the gas station is certainly drained, it has to be after the bunker and all the generators.
Thirdly: Four cars, especially things like Staua's van and Beans's buggy, would consume large amounts of fuel so it isn't too unreasonable to question it.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
Stale gas doesnt work. Gas sitting in tanks underground or in cars would stop being effective after around 6 months and would basicly be toxic sludge after a year or year and a half

Sent from my Thundertalk using TapaBolt 2

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
To add, in the winter months, oil would need to stay at a hot temperature otherwise it turns sludgy and won't be of use to anyone. There is no device in Ineu Pass that I know of that can heat oil at 80 degrees needed for storage.

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »
Well than that simply means that half life two is unrealistic as well, considering Gordon drove EVERYWHERE.

I know HL2 is unrealistic, but if we're going by it's canon, which we certainly are in some way or another, then I'd assume there'd be some sort of usable fuel somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:29:53 PM by Cpl. Tray [22nd AB NA] [MP] »
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Allright... Let's look at it the following way. You're complaining about realism... And things that have been authed/worked on with proper explanations before... In a game where there are fucking aliens all over the place and people can use grade 5 kevlar like it's a wool vest (I'm looking at you, OTA.)

It's... Dumb.

As for how the fuel is obtained, that can be explained if you just take a bit of time. Let's consider the fact that vehicles ARE going to be abandoned if they get screwed over, specially after the 7 hour war. Let's consider that these vehicles have gasoline in them and that gasoline doesn't decay as fast or as easy as some people would have you believe. There's also the fact that few people /actually/ need the gas, except for the dudes who have the bloody vehicles to begin with, making your point of "the cars are drained" moot, because if the cars are drained, the chances are it's because /they/ got the fucking gas because it's logical necesity. Then there's gas stations which have THOUSANDS of gallons of the fucking thing inside. If you break into the actual supply of these gas-stations (the little underground thing they have specifically speaking) You'd be more than able to obtain some gas.  And that is specifically made to house it in a clean and SAFE manner. In two years i doubt there was people who both had a car and needed to take shitloads of gas to waste ALL the gas-stations around the pass, which mind you being out in the middle of the road between cities would have had plenty of gas-stations to supply people who were traveling back and forth.

Then there's the obvious fact that the CCA and what not would need gas for THEIR vehicles, which could be scavenged in the case they failed a route or something. Or even if they got killed off (Which while rare sometimes ocurr). There's black market shit involving the CWU... The CCA and low ranks themselves... Of course, all of these have some little "plothole" or another, but that's the thing. There's SEVERAL explanations to getting fuel out there. Any of them being relatively valid if sometimes a bit of a stretch, but nitpicking at all of them is not making the RP more realistic, it's not making the people do a better effort for good RP, it's just being a dick. There's this thing called Suspension of disbelief that you may have to look into.

I can see them needing to RP scavenging for Gas. I can see them having to maybe auth every once in a while or something like that if you REALLY want to get nitpicky at it, but this is really just a moot point about thinking TOO hard into what would normally simply be a usefull RP object that we can use to create passive, maybe even active RP to have fun with.

TL;DR: You're reading too hard into it.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
Well than that simply means that half life two is unrealistic as well, considering Gordon drove EVERYWHERE.

I know HL2 is unrealistic, but if we're going by it's canon, which we certainly are in some way or another, then I'd assume there'd be some sort of usable fuel somewhere.

Gordon drove in cars with a full tank of gas for only a couple hours at a time. He also beat OTA Elites to death with a crowbar.
If you can prove your car operates by an alternative fuel source then that's fine.

To Elions: Fuel does decay quickly. The single gas station has been picked at for two years since the war; whatever it had is now gone. The CCA use dark energy to power their things. This is Serious Roleplay. We can't have people asspulling jerry cans from a desolate place where no fuel should actually exist. This is one of the reasons why a community in Ineu would be difficult; the certainty of running out of fuel for transport and eventually generators.

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
Allright... Let's look at it the following way. You're complaining about realism... And things that have been authed/worked on with proper explanations before... In a game where there are fucking aliens all over the place and people can use grade 5 kevlar like it's a wool vest (I'm looking at you, OTA.)

It's... Dumb.

As for how the fuel is obtained, that can be explained if you just take a bit of time. Let's consider the fact that vehicles ARE going to be abandoned if they get screwed over, specially after the 7 hour war. Let's consider that these vehicles have gasoline in them and that gasoline doesn't decay as fast or as easy as some people would have you believe. There's also the fact that few people /actually/ need the gas, except for the dudes who have the bloody vehicles to begin with, making your point of "the cars are drained" moot, because if the cars are drained, the chances are it's because /they/ got the fucking gas because it's logical necesity. Then there's gas stations which have THOUSANDS of gallons of the fucking thing inside. If you break into the actual supply of these gas-stations (the little underground thing they have specifically speaking) You'd be more than able to obtain some gas.  And that is specifically made to house it in a clean and SAFE manner. In two years i doubt there was people who both had a car and needed to take shitloads of gas to waste ALL the gas-stations around the pass, which mind you being out in the middle of the road between cities would have had plenty of gas-stations to supply people who were traveling back and forth.

Then there's the obvious fact that the CCA and what not would need gas for THEIR vehicles, which could be scavenged in the case they failed a route or something. Or even if they got killed off (Which while rare sometimes ocurr). There's black market shit involving the CWU... The CCA and low ranks themselves... Of course, all of these have some little "plothole" or another, but that's the thing. There's SEVERAL explanations to getting fuel out there. Any of them being relatively valid if sometimes a bit of a stretch, but nitpicking at all of them is not making the RP more realistic, it's not making the people do a better effort for good RP, it's just being a dick. There's this thing called Suspension of disbelief that you may have to look into.

I can see them needing to RP scavenging for Gas. I can see them having to maybe auth every once in a while or something like that if you REALLY want to get nitpicky at it, but this is really just a moot point about thinking TOO hard into what would normally simply be a usefull RP object that we can use to create passive, maybe even active RP to have fun with.

TL;DR: You're reading too hard into it.

Yes. And I bought multiple cans and containers of gasoline from TOTO when they still existed, me and another character had to pry open the hatch on the gas container and lower the cans in with a rope to fill them. We RPed it all.
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

Gordon drove in cars with a full tank of gas for only a couple hours at a time. He also beat OTA Elites to death with a crowbar.
If you can prove your car operates by an alternative fuel source then that's fine.

To Elions: Fuel does decay quickly. The single gas station has been picked at for two years since the war; whatever it had is now gone. The CCA use dark energy to power their things. This is Serious Roleplay. We can't have people asspulling jerry cans from a desolate place where no fuel should actually exist. This is one of the reasons why a community in Ineu would be difficult; the certainty of running out of fuel for transport and eventually generators.

If we go with "serious rp" then we should also consider that the Ineu Pass is NOT the only place the characters can go, as it would be a very limited place, not to mention that it would mean that they have /no way out/ considering there's walls and cliffs everywhere. There's also the fact that "serious rp" doesn't mean "nitpick at everything and demand complete and absolute knowledge of everything that is done". Then there's also the fact that if we talk about serious RP there are MANY other things that you should be complaining about. Like for example the idea of OTA being able to "augment" people when in HL2RP they never used such a thing. Or how the only shotgun in existance in HL2 is the SPAS 12, a weapon that stopped being produced 17 YEARS Before the entirety of HL2 ocurred.

Then there's the issues with black matter being a plausible fuel system to begin with, let alone the idea of Aliens taking over earth in 7 bloody hours. You're nitpicking at the one thing that you SHOULDN'T be nitpicking, i'd dare say it's the most easy to explain thing in the entirety of the bloody HL2 universe.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
The whole point of serious RP, Outlands in particular, is to establish the brutal, gritty and -above all- realistic nature of the HL2 world with this spin. Please don't dismiss the entire point of serious RP by saying: "You're reading into it too hard."

It may surprise you but I can actually buy the fact the Union had destroyed the planet in seven hours, not a big feat considering they are centuries more advanced, whose to say dark energy could'nt be used when it makes up 60% of all energy in the known Universe? The shotgun issue is a purely cosmetic thing in my mind. There is, however, little excuse for laziness when it comes to Outlands living. The fact there are generators running almost 24/7 and cars being driven leads me to think that there must be a need for gas expeditions into the surrounding areas. There is no fuel in Ineu. Or at least not enough to power all these things.

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
The whole point of serious RP, Outlands in particular, is to establish the brutal, gritty and -above all- realistic nature of the HL2 world with this spin. Please don't dismiss the entire point of serious RP by saying: "You're reading into it too hard."

It may surprise you but I can actually buy the fact the Union had destroyed the planet in seven hours, not a big feat considering they are centuries more advanced, whose to say dark energy could'nt be used when it makes up 60% of all energy in the known Universe? The shotgun issue is a purely cosmetic thing in my mind. There is, however, little excuse for laziness when it comes to Outlands living. The fact there are generators running almost 24/7 and cars being driven leads me to think that there must be a need for gas expeditions into the surrounding areas. There is no fuel in Ineu. Or at least not enough to power all these things.

So the fact that they manage to apply dark matter into using it /safely/ in a small vehicle doesn't bother you... The idea that the CCA can carry kevlar on them that goes on light armored vehicles is fine... The idea that we have a shotgun that stopped being produced in the 2000's as the most common shotgun ever is fine by you, or the fact that said shotgun can somehow fire both barrels even though it has only one barrel opening... But how people get fuel in outlands. THAT bothers you?... Yeah, i'm sorry but you'renot helping whatever point you're trying to make here man.
Survival RP is done in outlands. Every bloody time we go in there, there's actual people looking for food, water, shelter. But in a world with much more pressing inconsistencies you're worrying about ordinary gas.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
This is not 'ordinary gas' anymore, this is precious stuff, valuable, essential. Worried about it? Yeah, a little.

The things you have listed are not as big an issue as the most essential thing since food, water and medical supplies.

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »
Not as big an issue to find food and water? CLEAN food and water? Seriously? It's just as big of an issue but people do manage to find it because they've been learning to scavenge or hell, even find alternatives since 2 or so years already out there, let alone people who already knew one or two things about survival

It's only been a couple of years and you don't think either that other places OUTSIDE of the pass (which as i've stated is more than plausible people go out of during times they are not in the server and what not for IC purposes) would have stocked up on fuel too? Or what about the fact that fossil fuels are still needed for several other things? What about survivalists who actually stock up on it, "preppers" that exist EVERYWHERE in the world? Fuel wouldn't be in ample supply but it wouldn't have just dissapeared off the face of the planet you dib. And there would be more than one if not many places where they could try and scavenge/work/trade for it. Not to mention the fact the CCA probably does re-use fuel for things that they're still trying to convert to using dark matter, if that's even a plausible fuel explanation.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
If you've been scavenging then show me the auths. Please do. An auth that gives you scavenging knowledge, if you're a survivalist then let me see that too. If you get all your fuel from the land of Narnia or what have you, that stuff needs an auth for that supply route.

As for food and water: the freshwater rivers could be boiled on a fire to cleanse it of bacteria and numerous people have hunting skills.
So riddle me this, where are these fuel authorizations?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal