Author Topic: Vortigaunts!- The Common Misconceptions  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Vortigaunts!- The Common Misconceptions
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:30:10 AM »

Hello, I am an avid Vortigaunt RP'er; I play on both the Outlands server with my free vort, and city for my conscript. In my short time, I have noticed a lot of people tend to have some misunderstandings about Vortigaunts, in this guide I will run by some things that are true and others that are simply not.

The Misconceptions

-All Vorts like humans-
False. This is an idea I have come across multiple times. Considering the Vortigaunts at this stage (one year on from the War in CG's Canon) the race are basically stranded on Earth, hunted by the Combine, surrounded by these Humans. This does not mean they will like you, it may be quite the opposite.

-Every Vortigaunt has a deep respect for life-
False. Think of it this way; the species has been torn untimely from it's home world by the Combine, forcing them to flee to Xen then the species is shoved into the frontlines to invade Earth, after the war they find themselves surrounded by creatures with no moral code (Humans). In short, Vortigaunts are only as obliged to a moral compass as we are, it is now an optional burden given the circumstances.

-All Vortigaunts accept the title "Vort"-
False. This is another one that happens a lot, humans calling Vortigaunts they just met "Vort". Depending on the individual, they may accept this title, they may decline it or they may take it as an insult. It is always best to ask first.

-Vorts are guaranteed to be friendly on approach-
Nope. They are just as likely to be as hostile as a human if given a reason.

-Vortigaunts eat potatoes-
Here is a strange one I encountered recently. While vorts can eat Human food, a free vort would much rather hunt for it's own prey ie: headcrabs and antlions. It may also be fair to assume that they may even eat human if that's all that's around.

-All Vortigaunts are masters of the Vortessence-
Though it can be assumed almost every free vort you will encounter has knowledge on how to wield the vortessence, this does not mean they are masters of it, some may have a lot of control over it while others find it hard to control.

-Vortigaunts are infinitely wise-
Nope. Some Vorts may be wise by age or by personality, they may have plenty of knowledge however they are still living creatures prone to emotions, this can cloud judgement and vision, it can lead to mistakes. Just like Humans, Vortigaunts make mistakes.

-Vortigaunts will help you out when you need it-
Need to power up a generator? Need to be healed? This does not mean the vort is obliged to help, again, you wouldn't expect a human to be a conduit put there to help you, so don't expect it of Vortigaunts.

Things you may not know about Vortigaunts

-Kin-
The Vortigaunts I have seen always use the word "Kin" it means brothers and sisters, like a family. When Vortigaunts use it it can mean one of two things. The first meaning of "Kin" is the general species, the vortessence means all vorts are linked so naturally they view every vort as a brother or sister. The second definition is for a close circle of vortigaunts that make up a real close family that can be called upon to assist a Vortigaunt.

-Most Vortigaunts do not like being approached by armed humans-
Simple instinct, remember Black Mesa? The Seven Hour War? The Vortigaunts don't have pleasant experiences when armed species approach them.

Thank you for reading this guide, I hope you know know some of the false assumptions and know not to make them now.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline The Joke

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Vortigaunts!- The Common Misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
This is all well and good but it all goes down to what the character does ICly to make them think these things. The character cannot just suddenly take all this IC and be cautious around Vortiguants. For instance if a Vortiguant has been very kind to them in the past then they may believe that all the race are meant to act that way. Of course its a misconseption that all Vortiguants are good. I have met many who are willing to kill my character and others. But the fact is how you play IC and how you have built up your character OOC.
C45.CCA.JURY-05.755
Activity: Following orders

Zak Grant
Activity: Trying to adjust to the Outlands again

Mike Harolds
Activity:Trying to stay alive in the Outlands

Zak Renolds
Activity: Trying to stay alive in the city

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
This is all well and good but it all goes down to what the character does ICly to make them think these things. The character cannot just suddenly take all this IC and be cautious around Vortiguants. For instance if a Vortiguant has been very kind to them in the past then they may believe that all the race are meant to act that way. Of course its a misconseption that all Vortiguants are good. I have met many who are willing to kill my character and others. But the fact is how you play IC and how you have built up your character OOC.

Yes, it is simply to disperse myth, it should not instantly be IC knowledge.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »

Hello, I am an avid Vortigaunt RP'er; I play on both the Outlands server with my free vort, and city for my conscript. In my short time, I have noticed a lot of people tend to have some misunderstandings about Vortigaunts, in this guide I will run by some things that are true and others that are simply not.

The Misconceptions

-All Vorts like humans-
False. This is an idea I have come across multiple times. Considering the Vortigaunts at this stage (one year on from the War in CG's Canon) the race are basically stranded on Earth, hunted by the Combine, surrounded by these Humans. This does not mean they will like you, it may be quite the opposite.

-Every Vortigaunt has a deep respect for life-
False. Think of it this way; the species has been torn untimely from it's home world by the Combine, forcing them to flee to Xen then the species is shoved into the frontlines to invade Earth, after the war they find themselves surrounded by creatures with no moral code (Humans). In short, Vortigaunts are only as obliged to a moral compass as we are, it is now an optional burden given the circumstances.

I am also avid vort roleplayer and its lovely to see discussions about stuff like this. Each vort is entitled to playing their vort how they wish but I want to discuss some of the things you brought up.

Like previously stated every is vortigaunt entitled to playing their vort how they want so in technical terms saying that every vortigaunt has a deep respect for life is false is technically true. Lets analyze this though like you said the vortigaunts as a species have been fleeing ever since the combine started chasing them. Even being enslaved during this time under the nihilanth being forced to invade earth when they were backed into a wall on Xen. I feel that all things considering being faced with their constant enslavement and pursuit by the combine they that they would definitely have a deep respect for life. Having this respect for life and freedom to live it, would make it way more likely for them to like humans because they both share the want for freedom they both want to break their common shackles that they share. Also the vortigaunts connection with the vortessence and their pantheistic that come with it also really help with the notion that they have a deep respect for life. Which they state that there exists a fundamental life-force which connects all, a "tapestry." It is due to this belief in the Vortessence that the vortigaunt species have an almost universal respect for life, in all its forms. Not only is life precious in and of itself, but it is implied that the source of the Vortessence's power lies in living things. Back to them liking humans, vortigaunts see humans as brothers in arms with the same purpose in mind this "Unity of purpose" to drive back the Universal Union. "We take our stand beside you, here, upon this miserable rock."
"Unity of purpose, the shattering of common shackles, a single road we tread."

So yeah thats how I feel about that.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
I am also avid vort roleplayer and its lovely to see discussions about stuff like this. Each vort is entitled to playing their vort how they wish but I want to discuss some of the things you brought up.

Like previously stated every is vortigaunt entitled to playing their vort how they want so in technical terms saying that every vortigaunt has a deep respect for life is false is technically true. Lets analyze this though like you said the vortigaunts as a species have been fleeing ever since the combine started chasing them. Even being enslaved during this time under the nihilanth being forced to invade earth when they were backed into a wall on Xen. I feel that all things considering being faced with their constant enslavement and pursuit by the combine they that they would definitely have a deep respect for life. Having this respect for life and freedom to live it, would make it way more likely for them to like humans because they both share the want for freedom they both want to break their common shackles that they share. Also the vortigaunts connection with the vortessence and their pantheistic that come with it also really help with the notion that they have a deep respect for life. Which they state that there exists a fundamental life-force which connects all, a "tapestry." It is due to this belief in the Vortessence that the vortigaunt species have an almost universal respect for life, in all its forms. Not only is life precious in and of itself, but it is implied that the source of the Vortessence's power lies in living things. Back to them liking humans, vortigaunts see humans as brothers in arms with the same purpose in mind this "Unity of purpose" to drive back the Universal Union. "We take our stand beside you, here, upon this miserable rock."

When the humans they have encountered have assaulted, abducted, starved, insulted and been in general racist towards a Vortigaunt he isn't exactly going to class them as 'brothers in arms'.

IMO, it all depends on the circumstance.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »

When the humans they have encountered have assaulted, abducted, starved, insulted and been in general racist towards a Vortigaunt he isn't exactly going to class them as 'brothers in arms'.

Of course of course, very valid point. Though they would be wise to stay away from those humans as there are a lot more out there that greet them with open hands as allies. Though its all circumstance, Even though they may have been hurt by those humans its hard to take a general hatred towards the humans entirely because vortigaunts are all interconnected so we share in the pain that those vortigaunts have endured but they also share in the good we see from all of those we have encountered that showed it.  Its all up on on the roleplayer though how to feel/act.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »

Of course of course, very valid point. Though they would be wise to stay away from those humans as there are a lot more out there that greet them with open hands as allies. Though its all circumstance, Even though they may have been hurt by those humans its hard to take a general hatred towards the humans entirely because vortigaunts are all interconnected so we share in the pain that those vortigaunts have endured but they also share in the good we see from all of those we have encountered that showed it.  Its all up on on the roleplayer though how to feel/act.

Yes, but the problem is Vortigaunts are always going to be a troublesome subject due to the limited knowledge and in-game speech that can really only be interpreted personally, I think people should just roleplay them how they wish to, within reason of course.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »

Yes, but the problem is Vortigaunts are always going to be a troublesome subject due to the limited knowledge and in-game speech that can really only be interpreted personally, I think people should just roleplay them how they wish to, within reason of course.

Of course it is thats why its great to talk about it! Get many different views on the subject. But yeah been saying that from the beginning that they can play their vortigaunts how they want, not like I am going to impose on them or something haha.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
-Most Vortigaunts do not like being approached by armed humans-
Simple instinct, remember Black Mesa? The Seven Hour War? The Vortigaunts don't have pleasant experiences when armed species approach them.

This. I can't tell you how many times people just walk up to me with their hand cannons expecting me to welcome them with a hug.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
My vort is a cynical asshole, so he finds humans amusing / stupid. He doesn't fear their weapons, but prefers to avoid those with them.

http://sectussection.tumblr.com - My Tumblr Review Page
https://twitter.com/Sectus12 - My Twitter Page

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »
Man every one seems to have been like hurt from humans in this roleplay lol. Every human I meet is quite nice and has my back haha. Feels good, quite good.

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »
This'll be very useful, mostly because I wasn't sure about these things myself, espessially the armed humans one. I don't think I put that factor into play on my vortigaunt when I played on him (Considering he fought in Black Mesa), I'll make sure to keep these in mind when RPing. Thanks a bunch!
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline Roven :D

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:25:26 AM »
SUMMARY

Even though the Vortigaunts in Half Life 2 were decent, sensible beings we here at Catalyst Gaming are not and will not try to be simply because Vortigaunts in Half Life 2 were. We will be assholes, we will eat all of your potatoes and if you don't have them we'll eat you. We are not infinitely wise like Half Life 2 may have led you to believe and we won't try to be. Don't like it? Disconnect and go to TnB.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
SUMMARY

Even though the Vortigaunts in Half Life 2 were decent, sensible beings we here at Catalyst Gaming are not and will not try to be simply because Vortigaunts in Half Life 2 were. We will be assholes, we will eat all of your potatoes and if you don't have them we'll eat you. We are not infinitely wise like Half Life 2 may have led you to believe and we won't try to be. Don't like it? Disconnect and go to TnB.

All of the humans in Half Life 2 were also friendly and worked with the Vortigaunts instead of trying to assault and rape everything in sight even if it includes a passing Vortigaunt.

Offline Roven :D

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »
It's a god damn shame.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal