Author Topic: Arren Kain's and Aurther Seymore's PK  (Read 13829 times)

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Arren Kain's and Aurther Seymore's PK
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Quite literally as soon as you step off that train, you're flashed by a scanner. Then you go through a further checkpoint within the trainstation (Which Gordon Freeman fails, assumingly due to not being a registered citizen). Once leaving the trainstation and into the plaza, every single checkpoint into another plaza/prcient/district/whatever you'll notice requires citizens to perform a facial recognizition (or something similar) scan to enter.

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
In the start of Hl2 when you enter c17 (the home of breen, who is the important human to the combine) you are not checked and they don't do all of these measurements.

Doesn't mean they haven't processed you before putting you on train, what is more likely due to fact they probably sort people into different cities basing on some filters.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
So basically what you are saying is that the UU know everything about everyone all the time no matter what? Why should we have BOL's that include descriptions, or that lack names and such? Seeing that we know everything about everyone, shouldn't all of the information be filled out?

Either way, this is going to completely crush resistance RP.

http://sectussection.tumblr.com - My Tumblr Review Page
https://twitter.com/Sectus12 - My Twitter Page

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
Nobody said that was how we ran it. You decided to start bringing up what happens in Half Life 2, a game made distinctly not for serious roleplay. That's why almost all Half Life 2 roleplayer servers are not considered "Canon", and the few that did try to stick to it all the way died out quickly.

Basically it's all moot. We use Half Life 2 for the setting and take few things from it, so trying to compare something that's in HL2 to a server in gmod is pretty much useless.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »
If I have a wool-knit balaclava covering my character's head along with a pair of tinted shades (lets say 20% opacity) and my hands are in my pockets, am I able to be identified?

What is the minimum distance a scanner would have to be away from me to identify me?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:17:33 PM by OzJackal »

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Again, we're getting a bit off topic her.

Fact is: The scanner got clean, clear shots of everyone it encountered.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
If I can't have an answer to a legit question then I'm afraid I can't support keeping these characters permakilled as I just don't see how a character can be identified with ridiculously overpowered scanners.

The appeal has my full support.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
Scanners need to have some limits. I understand that you could ride that whole "Union tech is unknown" thing around the world and back, but seriously, there need to be limits to keep it reasonable. The union shouldn't be able to just automatically know who you are if they ever get a picture of you. It would've been reasonable had the scanner had an accurate description of me, which it did not.

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 12:13:53 AM »
Scanners do have limits, as for thier 'range', when following a player, you get within a certain distance of them, I would concider this the Most effective range, while in this range, a scanner can get the clearest, most detailed picture of a person.

And this is exactly what happened with our scanner, it got up close and personal, and took photos of Everyone in the area.

I've stated all of this before. Everything said has already been refuted an argued and exhausted.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
The only reason the scanner even got close to me was because it knew my name from a distance, which would be metagaming, since scanners can only tell your name once they've taken a photo, right?

He would've used the alt function to meta my name from a distance.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:52:14 AM by Sectus »

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »
No, we were not after you at all. Infact, we weren't after anyone. The scanner was doing an authorized patrol of P3, and you just so happened to be there, along with Everyone else. The scanner took photos of everyone it came across, not just you.

Giovanni Dicardi

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:50 AM »
So...is this following HL2 Canon or CG canon? Because I was told there is a thin line between the two. Two big ones were Processing and the Resistance. In which case, I did not see a scanner in the trainstation when I spawned. I heard this from a multitude of sources, so it's not based off my own knowledge.

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
CG does have its own version of HL2RP canon, and there is a fine line, obviously, as we base most everything from the original HL2 Canon, but we don't Strictly abide by just HL2 Canon, else hl2rp would be incredibly boring.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »
Right well, we are currently waiting for when Kronic returns to pass judgement.

Offline Mr.Qman

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 04:46:22 AM »
So how does the scanner know anybodies names? I would imagine the combine make a database of the citizen if he is relocated to another city. And I recall someone saying the scanner saw Candyman at the P-3 apartments and took a picture of him, then followed him to the warehouse and didn't take any more pictures except the one at the apartments, and I think SmT said scanners don't need to snap a picture I looked up on the half life wiki|Scanners are equipped with a searchlight and a camera used to take photographic images.| So if the scanner didn't take any more pictures I guess it can be considered metagaming. And even if it did snap a picture of steven, the current last seen description was that he was black, and something way off. Why would the scanner follow someone who does not have the same description as the database? Wouldn't it's programming just avert it to something more important? There is all sorts of confusion going on because we are not sure how the City Scanner actually works.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal