Author Topic: The Xavier Rossland Chronicles  (Read 793 times)

Offline BrantRecon

• View Profile
    • Awards
The Xavier Rossland Chronicles
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »

:: The following is the retelling of events by a recently arrived citizen that goes by the name Xavier Rossland. Anything describe in any in-character posts have happened at some point while I was logged in as his character on the server, unless otherwise stated (flashbacks, etc.). If you realize one of your characters are mentioned or interact with Xavier in these posts, then don't be surprised if the retelling isn't 100% accurate, as this is told through his (or my) perspective, and can't always account with your intentions.

One - Same Thing, Different Place

The train rides are always the best part. It was such a shame when it finally came to a stop at my new assigned city, City 45.

Begrudgingly, I stepped out of the train car that I had been sitting alone in for the past twenty hours. Despite being a small space with nothing to do, being in that train was the best thing that had happened to me in while. It was quiet, despite the noise of the wheels grinding along the track and the messy clattering of the rusted car. Most of all, however, there was no combine around, no presence of an imminent threat that lingered over my shoulders. I was at a peace within that train, no worries, nothing.

That relaxation dissipated immediately as I stepped up the series of inclines that lead towards the main atrium of the train station. I could already hear the clicks and beeps that the Combine Officers' radios broadcasted through their helmets. I listened to the echo of reserved chatter coming from other people in the city, the kind that you can hear anywhere you go, but has no confidence to speak normally, depressed by the constant monitoring. That looming feeling of dread reached my heart much more quickly than to my head as I silently passed through the checkpoint at the end of the terminal, feeling the countless eyes glare at me through their visors. I was alone, but couldn't feel more crowded. Thankfully, my suitcase wasn't taken, though that was probably because their sensors knew it was just extra pairs of the same issued clothing, and nothing else. As I walked through the near empty, yet somehow noisy atrium of the station, I took in a deep breath, knowing these were the last moments I had before stepping back into reality. I opened the front door of the station and saw my new confinement.

The morning sun greeted me with its distinctive shine, I let my eyes adjust to take a better look at what new surroundings I was bound by.  The first thing I noticed was the tower, a Combine stronghold that gave its signature "dark and foreboding" look as it seemed to be looming over the plaza of the area I just walked into, watching everybody and everything, I already was feeling the pressure. I began my simple walk, lugging my suitcase with me, to see the layout of this new city. Rather shortly, I was greeted by a few citizen with their passing by "glance and nod" gesture that we all came around to doing, reducing the time of interaction and the chance of some zealous CP to take the opportunity to be belligerent.  I step by the obvious Combine stronghold, ignoring any glares that may be facing my direction, and step immediately towards what appears to be the designated citizen housing apartments. I passed up looking inside this time in favor of exploration, noticing next the Combine checkpoint just down the street. I step up to it, looking for any sort of clearance of sorts, but failing to do so, and decide to just turn around and walk away for now, as the weight of my suitcase was beginning to add up. I see the various nodes around the plaza, thinking that they were possibly Antlion defense towers, and kept on my way, straying away from the stronghold and walking by a few empty storefronts. Their vacancy serving a cold reminder for the ambition-shattering effect the Combine has on humanity. Another checkpoint confronted me, and I decided to just stay in the plaza area for now, not wanting to cause any trouble on the first day, if passing through those checkpoints even would.

I turned around and headed to the last corner of the plaza area, noting the large opening door at the Combine stronghold opening to reveal a few CPs that were heading out for patrol. I journeyed passed a locked and sealed building with a small "Ration Distribution Center" sign next to one of the Combine's hard sealed doors, and moved on to what seemed to be the last vacant storefront in the plaza. I take a look through the window and note the spacious room inside; a rare trait nowadays as many facilities of this size are re-purposed by the Combine. The curiosity swimming around in my head gets the best of me, and I take a step inside. Empty and dirty are the first two thoughts in my head, yet were words that almost comforted me. This place was ignored. I set my suitcase down and walk around the room, enjoying the empty space as it felt like a departure from the Combine, somewhat. I knew they were still watching, but not particularly in this corner.

I already had it set in my mind that this would be where I set up shop. For what? I wasn't even sure yet. Probably just a lounge for now, but it would at least be a distraction from the constant reminder of the ever impending doom that was the Combine. Another gaze around the emptiness of the room made me think of another thing: furniture. I pondered about it for a while, but knew I really shouldn't be jumping the gun so soon. There was still a lot of this new city I hadn't explored, and I still really hadn't chosen a place to stay yet (which was a liberty I'm surprised the Combine was providing).

Still, not having to think about that was sort of a nice change.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal