Author Topic: Why video game piracy needs to be stopped and the future of PC GAMING (WIP)  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Unless you have been living under a rock for these recent years, you know the gaming system we all know as the PC, which not only a gaming system, is rapidly changing. First, I'd like to represent an a few issues, some that need to be solved and others that can not, that is hurting PC Gaming. Lets start off with number one and that is PC Video Game Piracy. Now I already know what the comments are going to be, "I WHANNA GET THE GAMES FOR FREE!". But, you have to realize, Video Gaming Piracy, especially for the PC is a very huge problem. Even though the PC is home to the most innovative games and the best modifications, we need to realize that we too have some "cons" to our gaming platform. The biggest con is obviously video game piracy on the PC. Let me start off with a few facts first about PC Gaming Piracy. According to a CNN Article of September 9, 2010, over 4.1 million copies of Modern Warfare 2 were illegally pirated. According to an article from Kotaku, the top pirated games on the PC for 2011 were 1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000) (March 2011) 2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000) (Nov. 2011) 3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000) (Oct. 2011) 4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000) (Sept. 2011) 5. Portal 2 (3,240,000) (April 2011). I will give in a few more sources later in the argument about how many games were actually bought and are not illegal copies. When you look at this, you might start having a seizure, but the truth is that this is happening. This is happening everyday, hurting companies, both big and small. As you all know, big companies have the ability to have games on all platforms with the snap of their fingers (as long as they have the money),which is a major reason why they are still alive. But what about the Indie devs? Where are they on this whole scheme of things? Well let me show you how piracy is effecting indie games. I believe that the best way to start off how indie devs are affected from PC gaming piracy is by showing you, briefly, the harsh history of the development company known as Indie Stone. If you do know what the Indie Stone is, you'll know that they are making the game known as "Project Zomboid". Project Zomboid was utterly almost killed when numerous project zomboid codes were stolen and of course that their game was pirated numerous times. I have been with Project Zomboid since it started out on Indie Stone. This is outrageous and if anyway you can justify this then you will get 1k personally from me. Don't give some god damn source that says 'Oh, well piracy helps the PC gaming industry". Oh knock it off. We all know if it wasn't for PC GAMER magazine, Project Zomboid would be dead and forgotten about months ago. WIP
THIS IS A WIP, PLEASE POST YOUR OPINION ON THE TOPIC (The future of PC Gaming not only piracy), NOT THE POST I HAVE MADE UNTIL IT IS FINISHED (which I will finish very soon)

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I don't want to reply without you finishing your thought, however I think I should steer you to this point.

We all here use Steam, a digital delivery system which allows you instant access to thousands of games for extremely low prices. THIS is what kills piracy. DRM hurts the consumer, not the pirates. Pirates will always find a way around anything you put in place, no matter how extensive it is. The only way to battle piracy is to offer a better alternative.

I used to pirate games a lot because of lazyness, which is what most people did then as well. I don't want to go all the way to walmart to get the new game when I could just sit here and it'll be done in a few hours. What Steam does is offer such a fast and easy way to get games that people find themselves buying games they don't even play, just because it's such a good deal.

Gabe Newell said (and I'm too lazy to find the quote so I'm paraphrasing) that Steam is doing so well in the piracy world because the 1-click buying and unbelievably common special offers make it impossible to resist. Digital Delivery IS the piracy killer, not DRM.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I don't want to reply without you finishing your thought, however I think I should steer you to this point.

We all here use Steam, a digital delivery system which allows you instant access to thousands of games for extremely low prices. THIS is what kills piracy. DRM hurts the consumer, not the pirates. Pirates will always find a way around anything you put in place, no matter how extensive it is. The only way to battle piracy is to offer a better alternative.

I used to pirate games a lot because of lazyness, which is what most people did then as well. I don't want to go all the way to walmart to get the new game when I could just sit here and it'll be done in a few hours. What Steam does is offer such a fast and easy way to get games that people find themselves buying games they don't even play, just because it's such a good deal.

Gabe Newell said (and I'm too lazy to find the quote so I'm paraphrasing) that Steam is doing so well in the piracy world because the 1-click buying and unbelievably common special offers make it impossible to resist. Digital Delivery IS the piracy killer, not DRM.
Yes your right, but it is also the price of video games. Skyrim was pirated on the PC more than it was actually sold.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
People who pirate games usually pirate them because they're either not worth buying or they don't have money. If piracy wasn't around the people who pirate games wouldn't buy them anyway.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
To be honest, I don't pirate games if they are not worth buying, because it would not be worth my energy to even do it. I usually do a quick look on YouTube, read up on opinions and reviews both video game journalist and player reviews before making my decision.
I might pirate games if they are the sort of old games that are impossible to get (MS-DOS games, which are usually abandon-ware)

But most of the time, people pirate games because they don't trust the gaming industry, so they pirate it to try out the game (They should make demos.), and they should make games fun, open to modding, and well made games. Not shitty copy paste games (Lol, CoD), or games that have literally been shat out (Mass Effect 3).

But I openly support piracy for reasons such as;
1. To try out software before buying.
2. Protesting against the game industry. (Not an ideal method, but still.)
3. Abandon-ware, if the game is so old, difficult to get, or simply no one inherited the rights to own it.
Clearly racist.

The problem is a lot of people who say that they try games out then buy them if they like them is just a load of crap though, on an occasion they will but them but the majority of people do it because of ease of access.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What void said. I got so many games on steam, as well as another thing called "Impulse". The games are so cheap that I just wanna buy them, yet I don't play them. I only play G-Mod for the most part, rarely any other game. Also what Journeyman said, I know a guy who has a thing on his IPhone so he can get free apps(Jailbreak or whatever). He "jailbreaks" the app, tries it out, and either buys it or not depending on if it was worth it. Steam is burning a hole in my pocket because of all the super cheap games, yet I won't play them. Piracy is good and bad at the same time, it is really what the user does.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What void said. I got so many games on steam, as well as another thing called "Impulse". The games are so cheap that I just wanna buy them, yet I don't play them. I only play G-Mod for the most part, rarely any other game. Also what Journeyman said, I know a guy who has a thing on his IPhone so he can get free apps(Jailbreak or whatever). He "jailbreaks" the app, tries it out, and either buys it or not depending on if it was worth it. Steam is burning a hole in my pocket because of all the super cheap games, yet I won't play them. Piracy is good and bad at the same time, it is really what the user does.
It seems that you don't understand the fact that most people don't buy when they like it. Number One, if you already spent time downloading Skyrim,for arguments sake, why would you buy since you have a FREE and FINE copy in front of your face. Don't give me that. Number Two, Just because the game is bad does not mean you get to deserve it for free or play it for free. Its a piece of art, that took years and hours of coding and drawing to make. I feel that if you pirate most games just because you don't or can't pay for it then you (This is general, not aimed at only one person) are a dirtbag. Its the sense of entitlement in this world's youth that I still grow up with today. It is completely outrageous, which is why as a society, we are heading down a slope. From people who think illegal immigrants deserve free healthcare from us to people who think they deserve all media entertainment for free should really rethink the situation. Well,  The world is dying, where news networks misinform people a lot (IE: Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) to this. Our society's youth is mostly stupid, due to the fact they know nothing about politics and just care about being "Gucchi" and having "Swagger". We will most likely turn from the republic we are today (USA) then to a democracy then to a Anarchist state. PS bros: We are not a democracy for a reason, we are a republic. A democracy only supports the majority (IE: 51 percent wins over 49 percent). The circle of life will start again, starting from the Stone Age and then being revolutionized from Hunter-Gatherers to Food producing societies. The next cycle of life will most likely be the same, maybe just the Neolithic Revolution when Agriculture was invented will most likely not be in the Zaggros Mountains again.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It seems that you don't understand the fact that most people don't buy when they like it. Number One, if you already spent time downloading Skyrim,for arguments sake, why would you buy since you have a FREE and FINE copy in front of your face. Don't give me that. Number Two, Just because the game is bad does not mean you get to deserve it for free or play it for free. Its a piece of art, that took years and hours of coding and drawing to make. I feel that if you pirate most games just because you don't or can't pay for it then you (This is general, not aimed at only one person) are a dirtbag. Its the sense of entitlement in this world's youth that I still grow up with today. It is completely outrageous, which is why as a society, we are heading down a slope. From people who think illegal immigrants deserve free healthcare from us to people who think they deserve all media entertainment for free should really rethink the situation. Well,  The world is dying, where news networks misinform people a lot (IE: Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) to this. Our society's youth is mostly stupid, due to the fact they know nothing about politics and just care about being "Gucchi" and having "Swagger". We will most likely turn from the republic we are today (USA) then to a democracy then to a Anarchist state. PS bros: We are not a democracy for a reason, we are a republic. A democracy only supports the majority (IE: 51 percent wins over 49 percent). The circle of life will start again, starting from the Stone Age and then being revolutionized from Hunter-Gatherers to Food producing societies. The next cycle of life will most likely be the same, maybe just the Neolithic Revolution when Agriculture was invented will most likely not be in the Zaggros Mountains again.

I thought we were talking about pirated games? O_O

Anyways. I don't wanna spend 60$ for a game that has a cool trailer and the game studio lies to you making it seem cool, then the game is a sack of shit. (Example, MW3, It's a god damn re-skin of MW2 but with more guns.) Also, pirated versions of games most of the time are buggy as fuck. My dead island got all messed up and shit, 'twas crazy.

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I pirated a few games before, and the only reason I did is because it's free and I honestly couldn't give a fuck more to go buy multiple copies of the game if I have it on another platform... I went and bought skyrim for my brother on the xbox and I pirated on my pc is that a problem I already own a copy they got my money now move on.
Off Topic: And besides Garry's mod brings more enjoyable times then the whole Call of duty franchise has brought me since I started playing them... Honestly I enjoy garry's mod it may be my favorite game

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
But you guys don't understand. Just because you think a game like MW3 is shit (which I think is an ok game) DOES NOT mean you get to have it for free. Really dumb guys. Really fucking dumb. If you don't want the game don't buy it. Seriously, I can't take this bs anymore.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
But you guys don't understand. Just because you think a game like MW3 is shit (which I think is an ok game) DOES NOT mean you get to have it for free. Really dumb guys. Really fucking dumb. If you don't want the game don't buy it. Seriously, I can't take this bs anymore.

They make the game seem super cool and stuff, making the viewer think it's gunna be worth the 60$ + DLC, Yet you end up getting a re-skin of MW2 with more guns.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

They make the game seem super cool and stuff, making the viewer think it's gunna be worth the 60$ + DLC, Yet you end up getting a re-skin of MW2 with more guns.
Number One, they gave you a new campaign. Number two, the game was directed as a sequel to make more money, you would of done the same thing. They sticked to their formula, why do you blame them for that. Number three, companies have a right to falsely advertise, as without it competition would not be the same. Its your god damn job to look into the game and see if its good or not. Also again, YOU STIL DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE IT! I dont care if its a superman 64 reskin for 500 dollars, YOU JUST DON'T BUY IT. Do you understand that video games are a luxury, NOT a necessity?

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Number One, they gave you a new campaign. Number two, the game was directed as a sequel to make more money, you would of done the same thing. They sticked to their formula, why do you blame them for that. Number three, companies have a right to falsely advertise, as without it competition would not be the same. Its your god damn job to look into the game and see if its good or not. Also again, YOU STIL DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE IT! I dont care if its a superman 64 reskin for 500 dollars, YOU JUST DON'T BUY IT. Do you understand that video games are a luxury, NOT a necessity?

umadbro?

lol but seriously...I got nothin.

Offline Mr. Busch

• #Bluesquad
    #2Termz
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just skipping past that argument and going back to piracy.

I could see why people are saying a game is "bad" which is your opinion and your entitled to that but dont arugue over it. But that dosent mean you get to get (priate) a game free/try it out because you think its bad and you don't want to pay the money for something you might not like. And let me bring this forward, what if the prices for retail realases were droped from its high standard of sixty dollars and it was lowered to something more reasonable? If the prices were lowered people would be less tempted to priate the game and just buy it to try it out. And that also allows people to buy more game and diversify their game library and video game likes. And in turn this lowers the want to pirate games beacue of the availability to get cheap games.

True, this will most likely not happen. In fact, the prices for games will probably rise to seventy dollars due to people wanting more money for their dedication which is the wrong way to come across the piracy problems. But truthfully, if the standard release price of games were lowered it would greatly help the cause to stop piracy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal