Author Topic: Why video game piracy needs to be stopped and the future of PC GAMING (WIP)  (Read 10738 times)

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just skipping past that argument and going back to piracy.

I could see why people are saying a game is "bad" which is your opinion and your entitled to that but dont arugue over it. But that dosent mean you get to get (priate) a game free/try it out because you think its bad and you don't want to pay the money for something you might not like. And let me bring this forward, what if the prices for retail realases were droped from its high standard of sixty dollars and it was lowered to something more reasonable? If the prices were lowered people would be less tempted to priate the game and just buy it to try it out. And that also allows people to buy more game and diversify their game library and video game likes. And in turn this lowers the want to pirate games beacue of the availability to get cheap games.

True, this will most likely not happen. In fact, the prices for games will probably rise to seventy dollars due to people wanting more money for their dedication which is the wrong way to come across the piracy problems. But truthfully, if the standard release price of games were lowered it would greatly help the cause to stop piracy.
Finally, someone who has a rational thought about this problem. Anyways, the price really can't be lowered, as game makers already make very small amounts of money, which some of you guys think that they make lots of money especially from Treyarch. The only make around 90,000 dollars depending on your position. 60 dollars might be a tad expensive, but what isn't in this world that is a luxury?

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Okay so this is all about opinions, I like to get free things you don't go ahead and lock the topic. I couldn't give anymore fucks about the people hurts as long as I save money, but it really is a moral thing.

Offline Ordnas

• View Profile
    • Awards
Those greedy cunts should stop making the games too expensive

Skyrim for 60 dollars? Well, people say is the most dumbed down TES and is really dull. Of course is going to get dull after 500 hours in a week!. I gadly pay 60 dollars for skyrim, because you get more playtime than another AAA title like CoD 3(a 8 hour campaing and a multiplayer that has not changed since modern warfare). PLUS the thousands of mods out there

Why does Piracy exists? Because it offers more than the original.
Take any media. Videogames? why pay 60 hours for a mere 8 hours of single player if you can download it from the internet?
They did this with the music industry right after the compact disc came. Before that you could buy the single in 7" vinyls, then after that...
"oh so you like only one song of that album? Too bad, you must buy the whole album first"

Compact disk piracy came because nobody wanted to pay the whole price of a CD album or a LP because they didn't wanted to buy the whole album, just a pair of songs from it.

Offline nulll

• View Profile
    • Awards
There's just one big problem with pirated games: 9/10 they don't have multiplayer!! Most games therefore get very boring after a while, unless you go and buy them for the multiplayer. A few, very popular shooters, had special "cracked servers" developed for them, but otherwise, you wont get multiplayer when pirating a game. If a game doesn't have multiplayer, it's not worth buying. (That includes Skyrim btw, I don't like that genre anyways).

If games were ONLY released for PC, and there were no consoles, the gaming industry would be in big trouble, but for now, console games pirating is very limited.
~Russian Style!

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
But you guys don't understand. Just because you think a game like MW3 is shit (which I think is an ok game) DOES NOT mean you get to have it for free. Really dumb guys. Really fucking dumb. If you don't want the game don't buy it. Seriously, I can't take this bs anymore.

They make the game seem super cool and stuff, making the viewer think it's gunna be worth the 60$ + DLC, Yet you end up getting a re-skin of MW2 with more guns.
Number One, they gave you a new campaign. Number two, the game was directed as a sequel to make more money, you would of done the same thing. They sticked to their formula, why do you blame them for that. Number three, companies have a right to falsely advertise, as without it competition would not be the same. Its your god damn job to look into the game and see if its good or not. Also again, YOU STIL DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE IT! I dont care if its a superman 64 reskin for 500 dollars, YOU JUST DON'T BUY IT. Do you understand that video games are a luxury, NOT a necessity?

That is the most hilarious argument you can give to us, even though I'm late by dropping by, but you've just proven our point.
They care about making money (Why the fuck would they need more?) rather than making games that give me the entertainment that I paid for?

Would you like to be lied and cheated if someone said about the game that interested you, but turned out to be a pile of dogs bollocks? I would be mad, just like when they made DAII seem like a badass game and it turned out to be a linear and mundane game.

Just an FYI, if it's a "luxury" then you get what you paid for, like you stated, if they are allowed to lie to you, and care about making money before giving quality, then I no one would even consider it luxury, I'd they would call it a piece of shit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:33:57 PM by Journeyman H. [UK] »
Clearly racist.

Offline Mr. Busch

• #Bluesquad
    #2Termz
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just skipping past that argument and going back to piracy.

I could see why people are saying a game is "bad" which is your opinion and your entitled to that but dont arugue over it. But that dosent mean you get to get (priate) a game free/try it out because you think its bad and you don't want to pay the money for something you might not like. And let me bring this forward, what if the prices for retail realases were droped from its high standard of sixty dollars and it was lowered to something more reasonable? If the prices were lowered people would be less tempted to priate the game and just buy it to try it out. And that also allows people to buy more game and diversify their game library and video game likes. And in turn this lowers the want to pirate games beacue of the availability to get cheap games.

True, this will most likely not happen. In fact, the prices for games will probably rise to seventy dollars due to people wanting more money for their dedication which is the wrong way to come across the piracy problems. But truthfully, if the standard release price of games were lowered it would greatly help the cause to stop piracy.
Finally, someone who has a rational thought about this problem. Anyways, the price really can't be lowered, as game makers already make very small amounts of money, which some of you guys think that they make lots of money especially from Treyarch. The only make around 90,000 dollars depending on your position. 60 dollars might be a tad expensive, but what isn't in this world that is a luxury?

Sure they dont make a lot of money but then again most of the "game makers" are not in it for the money, its in the love for making and playing video games. And there if your going to talk about luxury just stop right in your tracks. Luxury is anything that isnt Water, food and shelter and if you start talking about paying a lot of money for these so called "luxuires" then you are insane. The prices do need to be droped and once they do people will be more impowered to buy games. And sure they dont make a lot of money but then again, the money distribution isnt being portrayed correctly.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
You'll find that they make ridiculous sums of cash - especially for popular titles that the 13 year olds would normally follow, or the poor suckers that think that they are going to be given a fantastic game.
Clearly racist.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Greedy?!? Sir they are going by the formula. They are doing what makes money. You would do the same freaking thing if you made money of it. Don't give me this greedy cunt bullshit. You know its bullshit. You would have done the same thing too. It's business. I can't believe what is happening to this world. JUST BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE THE SAME REHASHED SHIT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T STEAL IT. GOD DAMNIT!

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Greedy?!? Sir they are going by the formula. They are doing what makes money. You would do the same freaking thing if you made money of it. Don't give me this greedy cunt bullshit. You know its bullshit. You would have done the same thing too. It's business. I can't believe what is happening to this world. JUST BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE THE SAME REHASHED SHIT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T STEAL IT. GOD DAMNIT!

If they are going to do it just for the money rather than do it for passion and share it, then people will stop caring and they will get the games their own way.
I'm sorry but you base your arguments around how it's okay to lie to people, and make up bullshit on how the game will be the triple A title, when you get a game that is the same shit.
So, the fact is that when you lie to people, make up overpriced DLC's, and don't give the quality that the consumers ask for. That's ok?
But if people pirated the game because they knew that it's not worth the cash to spend it on, it's not ok?

Sorry, but we're not sheeps here, my good friend. We demand quality, not the same rehashed crap, if they take the piss and just make the game exactly the same with no effort to improve on it, then they better be prepared for a wave of pirates.
Clearly racist.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

If they are going to do it just for the money rather than do it for passion and share it, then people will stop caring and they will get the games their own way.
I'm sorry but you base your arguments around how it's okay to lie to people, and make up bullshit on how the game will be the triple A title, when you get a game that is the same shit. EDIT: +you actually think people want to share a video game (the programmers) for free? WHAT!? It is a piece of art and you are stealing it. Thats enough, I need to post a audio bit for this comment, this is heated.
So, the fact is that when you lie to people, make up overpriced DLC's, and don't give the quality that the consumers ask for. That's ok?
But if people pirated the game because they knew that it's not worth the cash to spend it on, it's not ok?

Sorry, but we're not sheeps here, my good friend. We demand quality, not the same rehashed crap, if they take the piss and just make the game exactly the same with no effort to improve on it, then they better be prepared for a wave of pirates.
I understand this, but IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHITTY GAME THEN DON'T BUY IT! JESUS CHRIST. That does NOT mean you deserve a fucking free copy. You don't deserve a free copy just because it is a bad game. Also, pirates pirate bad games too. Look at project zomboid, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Minecraft.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:41:34 PM by Fancy Soviet Viking »

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

I'm sorry but you base your arguments around how it's okay to lie to people, and make up bullshit on how the game will be the triple A title, when you get a game that is the same shit. EDIT: +you actually think people want to share a video game (the programmers) for free? WHAT!? It is a piece of art and you are stealing it. Thats enough, I need to post a audio bit for this comment, this is heated.

I understand this, but IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHITTY GAME THEN DON'T BUY IT! JESUS CHRIST. That does NOT mean you deserve a fucking free copy. You don't deserve a free copy just because it is a bad game. Also, pirates pirate bad games too. Look at project zomboid, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Minecraft.

I'm sorry, but I believe that I don't pirate "modern" games, because it's not worth my energy to play a horrendous game in the first place.
People pirate games to harm the industry, to show that they won't pay for the game if they deliver games that are the exact same games, with just new weapons.

I find Skyrim and Minecraft more refreshing and entertaining than Modern Warfare 2 that disguises itself as being Modern Warfare 3, but that's another argument, seeing as we talk about piracy.

So, here's the summary.

Lie to the consumers.
Care about making money and nothing else.
Make the game as fast as they could make it.
Overprice DLC's that increases the lifespan of the game for a mere hour because there's a new weapon and 2 maps.

An acceptable business practice.

But if someone did something such as pirac-- OMFGWTFBBQCOMMUNISM U R FUCKING RUIEENEING GAYMING INDUSTTREEE!!1!!1!1!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:11:54 AM by Journeyman H. [UK] »
Clearly racist.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

I'm sorry, but I believe that I don't pirate "modern" games, because it's not worth my energy to play a horrendous game in the first place.
People pirate games to harm the industry, to show that they won't pay for the game if they deliver games that are the exact same games, with just new weapons.

I find Skyrim and Minecraft more refreshing and entertaining than Modern Warfare 2 that disguises itself as being Modern Warfare 3, but that's another argument, seeing as we talk about piracy.

So, here's the summary.

Lie to the consumers.
Care about making money and nothing else.
Make the game as fast as they could make it.
Overprice DLC's that increases the lifespan of the game for a mere hour because there's a new weapon and 2 maps.

An acceptable business practice.

But if someone did something such as pirac-- OMFGWTFBBQCOMMUNISM U R FUCKING RUIEENEING GAYMING INDUSTTREEE!!1!!1!1!
So what are you? The spokesperson for all the pirates? Pirates don't pirate because they want to harm the industry, because if that was so, Minecraft and Skyrim would not be pirated. My question is to you, do you think that the government has a right to shutdown Pirate bay? I believe they do. My second question is, do you believe that companies should be allowed to make creative DRMs in order to stop pirates, whether the game is good or bad? I really think it's outrageous that your saying that people have right to get the item for free even when the game/TV Show/Movie is bad. I really can't believe this. If this is what most of today's youth believes in with that everyone deserves this entitlement, we are all doomed. 

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

So what are you? The spokesperson for all the pirates? Pirates don't pirate because they want to harm the industry, because if that was so, Minecraft and Skyrim would not be pirated. My question is to you, do you think that the government has a right to shutdown Pirate bay? I believe they do. My second question is, do you believe that companies should be allowed to make creative DRMs in order to stop pirates, whether the game is good or bad? I really think it's outrageous that your saying that people have right to get the item for free even when the game/TV Show/Movie is bad. I really can't believe this. If this is what most of today's youth believes in with that everyone deserves this entitlement, we are all doomed.

I don't remember claiming that I am the spokes person of pirating games.
You clearly seem to be blind to why piracy happens.

Notch said so himself, he does not mind people pirating a game, simply because it can generate potential customers, rather than wasting time (and money) fighting it, Notch has clearly shown that piracy hardly affects him, he does not like it happen, sure, but he does not go into a big hissy fit because a few misfits just don't want to buy games.

Yes, having games that are fantastic, gives a good life span, coupled with good anti-piracy software will prevent piracy altogether. But if you make a quality of the game a pile of crap. Then obviously people will dedicate their time to making it easy to pirate and being user-friendly.
Why would someone buy a £50 game for something that has an excitement lasting for a day, whilst at the same time the game discourages creating a modding community?

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to say by "Companies making creative DRMs".

The government has no right to shut down pirate bay have any power to control anyone on the internet. Not only does it make the government look like a bunch of imperialistic fascists, but also anything on the internet is not fraudulent, any data on the internet will always be the exact copy of data you receive.

"If this is what most of today's youth believes in with that everyone deserves this entitlement, we are all doomed. " - Please don't give us that, it's hard to make you seem serious, simply because you have no real proof against the argument on why people pirate in the first place, nor do you have any proof.

In fact I find it amusing. You seem to claim that the reason people pirate is that they do it for free? Ha ha ha, you should be my court jester.

There's always more reasons why people pirate. But you seem to not want to believe in that.

http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html
http://www.moddb.com/polls/why-do-you-pirate-games
http://dbzer0.com/blog/why-do-people-pirate-games
Clearly racist.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards

I don't remember claiming that I am the spokes person of pirating games.
You clearly seem to be blind to why piracy happens.

Notch said so himself, he does not mind people pirating a game, simply because it can generate potential customers, rather than wasting time (and money) fighting it, Notch has clearly shown that piracy hardly affects him, he does not like it happen, sure, but he does not go into a big hissy fit because a few misfits just don't want to buy games.

Yes, having games that are fantastic, gives a good life span, coupled with good anti-piracy software will prevent piracy altogether. But if you make a quality of the game a pile of crap. Then obviously people will dedicate their time to making it easy to pirate and being user-friendly.
Why would someone buy a £50 game for something that has an excitement lasting for a day, whilst at the same time the game discourages creating a modding community?

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to say by "Companies making creative DRMs".

The government has no right to shut down pirate bay have any power to control anyone on the internet. Not only does it make the government look like a bunch of imperialistic fascists, but also anything on the internet is not fraudulent, any data on the internet will always be the exact copy of data you receive.

"If this is what most of today's youth believes in with that everyone deserves this entitlement, we are all doomed. " - Please don't give us that, it's hard to make you seem serious, simply because you have no real proof against the argument on why people pirate in the first place, nor do you have any proof.

In fact I find it amusing. You seem to claim that the reason people pirate is that they do it for free? Ha ha ha, you should be my court jester.

There's always more reasons why people pirate. But you seem to not want to believe in that.

http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html
http://www.moddb.com/polls/why-do-you-pirate-games
http://dbzer0.com/blog/why-do-people-pirate-games

Just going back on the point earlier about how if something is bad and overpriced people have a "right" to pirate it, let me give you an analogy.

You are walking home from school/work the same way you do every day. As you walk home you pass the same cake shop that you see every day and you notice something. In the window of this cake shop is a wedding cake, the cake doesn’t look the great and you are not getting married. Next to the cake is a sign that says "Brand new delicious cake - only $200!” You stop and think "This cake isn't delicious; it looks badly made and not even tasty. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the last cake they had in stock looked the same..." So you have no intention to want to buy this cake, you have no wedding and even if you did the cake looks bad and overpriced. But you are furious that they are lying and selling it for a high price, so unlike a normal person, you pick up a conveniently placed cinder block and smash down the window. You grab the cake as the glass shatters and you pelt home as fast as you can with the cake in hand. Luckily the cake shop owner had his store covered and was ready to throw the cake out sonic anyway. Meanwhile at home you cut a slice of the stolen cake and you try it, as you expected the cake tasted horrible. So you walk back to the store the next day, go in and say to the owner "That cake was horrible! You were selling the same cake the other day and you said it was a new one! How can you sell it for such a high price, are you crazy! You are lying and have no sense of morality; I hope all your cakes are stolen to teach you a lesson!" You leave the shop and make your way home.

Hopefully after reading this you realise just how insane your argument is. You are trying to tell me (as well as some others) that because something is bad and the makers lied by saying it was good it gives you the right to steal it? You think they are wrong for lying in their advertisements and then try to say that stealing is ok, can you not see the massive contradiction there?! It's insane.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Can I claim that your analogy is insane too?
Especially seeing how people do legitimately complain (especially on the forums and elsewhere) about how bad the game is.

Now your analogy (which was very difficult to understand, seeing as it was very bad) consists of;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not satisfied with the cake because of the price and the quality.
Not satisfied with the game because of the price and quality.

Being furious/annoyed/whatever about said cake
Being furious/annoyed/whatever about said game

"Unlike being a normal person and picking up an object in order to do criminal damage"
"Unlike being a normal person and picking up some non-existing item to do non-existing damage to the company"

"After doing damage to the shop, you ate that cake, as expected it was terrible"
"After doing non-existent vandalism and downloading data that is the exact same copy as the disc, you played the game, as expected it was terrible"

You then go to the store and complained
You decided to go to the forums, and complained (Then get your posts deleted / cut out / Edited lolBioware)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that your analogy is like a simple train ride going along smoothly then suddenly turned into an epic wreck.

Especially seeing the fact that you're downloading information that someone copied from the disc that they purchased from the store, which technically means that you didn't do any fraudulent action seeing as the information is exactly the same.

Your analogy would make (a lot more) sense if it went like this:
You purchased that $200 cake, even though you know how extremely terrible it was.
Found out some weird fucked up technique that allowed you to create that exact cake and you made a recipe list to recreate that cake.
Go to the store and complain how bad it is (Then run home and made that cake you copied even better than before (Less restrictive, but let's say more tastier)
You sold that cake to everyone else for a much lower price.

Now seeing as doing any form of vandalism (and violence) is quite different than getting files and uploading it so everyone gets the game free.

The game quality is as clear as day for developers to see the issue and actually confront it and explain how they can do better, funnily enough you don't get much developers actually listening to the fans and deciding to ignore them completely.

Pirating games serves as a "leverage" to make developers listen or that they will not profit as much.

Oh yes, by the way it is considered robbery (Scam), if you make up lies about "How good that game is" when in return it's the opposite of what you are asking for.
It's obvious that everyone who owns a business would like to make money, but not to the point where you have to be dishonest in order to profit.
If you like people who are dishonest, who restrict and control your gaming experience so much, be my guest, I won't persuade you otherwise. But it's not wise to claim one being insane whilst thinking it's perfectly fine to be dishonest to people.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:37:38 PM by Journeyman H. [UK] »
Clearly racist.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal