Author Topic: Gabe Truthsten's Authorization Application  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gabe Truthsten's Authorization Application
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: Sheriff Sandy Cheeks
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): 4 1/2 years.
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: 2 years.

Character Section

Authorization(s):
Expert Marksmanship.
Knife.
Experience in Combat.

Name: Gabe Truthsten
Affiliation: Resistance

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
Gabe Truthsten was born to Mary and Derek Truthsten on October 25th, 1982 somewhere in the middle of the woods in central Canada. Gabe’s parents had decided to move to Canada from the United Kingdom for personal reasons, mainly because they desired a peaceful life in an isolated area. At age eight, Derek began to teach Gabe how to use a rifle. At age nine, Gabe was beginning to hunt animals ranging from rabbits to foxes. When Gabe was fifteen years old, his father died in a tragic accident. His mother made the decision to move out of the woods to a safer location for her son. The two moved to Michigan, arriving and settling in their new home on Gabe’s sixteenth birthday.
Gabe continued to train with weapons throughout his teenage years. With his best friend’s dad being in the military, Gabe began to have access to higher quality weapons than he otherwise would have. Gabe began to go to the local gun range multiple times a week, shooting various assortments of weapons. Through practicing and being around weapons, Gabe began to not only learn how to shoot a weapon, but he also gathered skills of cleaning and fixing guns as well. After graduating high school, Gabe went out to get a job working at the local gun store, giving him access to even more weapons and ammunition.
Gabe spent much of his spare time on the range, both shooting and helping others with the skills he’d acquired over the many years of shooting. He also spent a lot of time taking apart guns and putting them back together, learning how they operated and observing what parts went where. At the age of 22 years old, Gabe began to participate in competitions regionally. Eventually, he began to participate in national competitions, soon advancing on to one World Competition. The year after he participated in the events, the Portal Storms began.
Initially, Gabe and his mother stayed put when word came out of Xen aliens popping up around the world. When the Xen creatures began to appear near their home, Gabe tried his best to kill the various creatures and keep them away from their home. When Gabe’s best friend was killed by a strange Xen creature, he decided to take his mother and escape. After a long, dangerous journey, they arrived in Chicago.
Gabe and his mother held up in a shady part of Chicago. Gabe constantly got into fights with people, watching many people get killed in portal storms as well as murders. After seeing so many people from his home town being killed by the Xen creatures, seeing these people killing each other was a difficult experience for him.
When the Combine Invasion came around, Gabe was itching for a fight. He almost instantly took up arms and tried like so many to prevent humanity from being taken over. When the fight was surely being lost by the humans, Gabe abandoned his weapon, and went into hiding with his mother. After watching the people around him being slaughtered by yet a new foreign enemy, Gabe was sent over the edge. After he was relocated to City 43, he barely ever spoke a word.

Gabe finally decided to head to the Outlands after being relocated to City 45. As he was traveling through the wilderness, he stayed in an abandoned warehouse for a few days while waiting for a storm to pass. He found a dull carving blade and went to work on sharpening it. After a day of hard work sharpening the blade, he was proud of his work and slipped it into his belt, continuing on with his journey. He eventually wound up in Ineu Pass after hearing there was work to be found and a potential gang he could get in with, hoping to find a place in the world for himself.

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
The ability to S2K at a longer distance than the average player.

The ability to have a knife to use in hand-to-hand combat, as well as a functioning throwing knife.

A sense of control during a firefight or any other chaotic events.

Defects
The various events in Gabe's life have caused him to talk seldomly. He also is highly dependent on a commanding power and someone to direct him.

Gabe would be a target to those who are his enemies, as well as someone extremely feared depending on the choices I make.

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
I plan to use these authorizations for many different things. I'm planning on joining Rex Vindicta's group that he has going and functioning as his body guard, a very deadily one at that. Another reason why I'm putting this up is because, due to the Pact now being the big fear of the Outlands, I would like there to be somewhat of an opposing force out there, or at least someone who is as dangerous as some of their members. I can already imagine some interesting scenarios occuring between Gabe and members of the Pact, some of them not ending so well.

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
No one else would need them.

Which server does this apply for?
Outlands

Extra Notes (optional):
None.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gabe Truthsten's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
I'd like to toss my input in here: Target shooting != Military grade marksmen training. Shooting something that's alive is much much different than shooting a target, so although he would have expert experience shooting targets, it wouldn't necessarily equate so well to sniping, being that a sniper has to be able to make on the fly adjustments to their scope to their scope to compensate for constantly changing environmental factors and target distances. In addition, I'd like to add that this can and should be roleplayed every shot for a sniper, otherwise it's the exact same as whipping out a pistol and shooting someone 3 times in the chest at close range without a /me. It doesn't matter of the person down range can see your /me, you still need to do it.

In addition, using throwing knives (Or A throwing knife) is HIGHLY impractical. Anyone who hasn't trained specifically to be able to throw knives and has learned proper and consistent technique for throwing knives, which takes at least months to develop, won't be able to get the knife to stick in a target 65% of the time, let alone wound or fatally injure an enemy combatant.

If those two issues are dealt with, personally I don't see anything wrong with it, but my support means nothing, just putting this out there for the admins to consider before they make a decision.

Offline Made Man

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
Sounds way to overpowered, the thing that confuses me is that you can shoot targets from a long range, and get them, when at close range, you miss all the time. Half of these authorizations are military training. Everyone basically uses the same thing. -support.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
I never stated I had a high accuracy from a far range, and neither did I say that I would have perfect throwing knife abilites. You guys are making assumptions. I clearly stated that I would have a better accuracy then an average person, as well as a better chance at success in hand-to-hand due to the fact that I have a knife. Also, my character was originally trained to hunt animals by his father, which it says in the backstory.

Also, you don't have to be have military training to be a good shooter. I'm not in the military, and I'm a fairly decent shot at moving targets as well as stationary. And Infiltrator, I'm not quite sure where you're getting that whole idea of the long range hits and close range misses. If that came across somewhere in my application, that wasn't intended.

To Sheo specifically: I on't really intend on being a sniper. I intend on being a personal guard more than anything. My character isn't like those in the Pact; I don't go hiding in the bushes waiting for victims to snipe. If I were to participate in any form of sniping roleplay, it would be talked about before hand, and not just on the fly.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:28:46 AM »
Accepted for 02 equivalent marksmanship, a knife and mild combat experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal