Author Topic: NRK's City 45 Remake - Day or Night?  (Read 9917 times)

NRK

NRK's City 45 Remake - Day or Night?
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Map making is by far an art. More of an art that even novice mappers understand.

I lost 30 minutes of work after I tried to preview this last time, so this isn't going to be the most well written posts.

I am currently remaking the ugly nightmare that, as all other RP maps, that is City 45. My question to you guys is, should the map be day or night? I definitely need to explain my perspectives of both fields before you reply, though.

Day

Picking day will ask for more of the same. The sun will be sunny. There are 3 rules of mapping for Counter Strike: Source. These rules are understood due to trends of popularity of maps. One rule is that the map must be sunny. Sunlight, even in video games has a psychological effect on you. When you are basking in the sunlight, you are more inclined to be happy then not. A better example on the mental affects sunlight has on you is looking at places that don't have sunlight. In some regions of the world, nights are much longer then the day. Areas like this have much higher rates of depression and alcoholism. This is perhaps why they are so popular.

Picking day means that the city will take place in the same, distant eastern European setting and the architecture saying so. There will hardly be a color scheme. Natural lighting will be king. Again, it is simply more of the same.

Night

To understand my perspective of night we should look to the universe of HL2 Beta. HL2 Beta was a much darker place. Everything was much more alien than it is currently. I say the biggest summary of the oddball style of HL2 Beta would be this picture.

Left - Eli, Middle - Freeman, Right - Alyx, Leash - Skitch (later replaced by DOG)

HL2 Beta was crazy. The Combine were draining oceans (which they still do, but it isn't focused on) and replacing the air with some noxious gas.

Picking night will go with a more darker, gothic, sinister, rainy, foggy, gritty, with a lot of brick, metal and glass, feel. HL2 Beta takes place in some sort of USA Western Coast city, with skyscrapers and the sort, which can be shown in this concept art -

Picking night means a blue and black color scheme, and the use of color correction to dull colors. Immersion is king in this setting. Has dark maps worked in this sense in the past? Not really. Has anybody put any true thought into developing their dark maps? No.

So, please post below which you would like and why.

I would like now to post the little tid bit I have done. Note this took about 3 days of actual work; done when I have had the time. Also note that this is a little bit of both perspectives. Whereas not everything is well lit up, the lights are a warm orange and there is pretty minimal filth. This portion of the map will definitely be changed to what is decided. This is the area between spawn and the largest room in the train station - the one with the ticket booths.

Offline D3adf0x

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: NRK's City 45 Remake - Day or Night?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
It Would be really cool if you could add a day/night circle, which would add even more immersion then just night. If you can't then I suggest night because the day time map is a little to happy for my tastes. Also, looking at the tid-bit of pictures, it's looking pretty good. Also 100% agreement on the 'mapping is an art' thing.

Offline ?µ??µ??µ?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
I also think that there should be a day-night cycle, like the one in HRP! Would help those wannabe criminals come out and steal stuff during the night, and when it's the morning, you figure out your shop's been ripped off the foundation! (Or something along those lines with the resistance.)

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
I love the coloring as it adds a very nice feel to the map.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline Ace

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:04 AM »
I support having the map night time. I believe a night map would add to the darker and depressive state of City 45. I mean the citizens are basically slaves. Nothing should be making the citizens feel happy. In my opinion having a night map would just be an overall positive. Also It would make the CCA way more fearsome in my opinion.

+support night map.  :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:00:21 AM by MK-Prodigy »

Offline NRK

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
Night would be nice I'm for this  but what id like to see is the map alittle bigger maybe another apartment building somewhere.
God Bless the Greatest Country on Earth

NRK

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
It Would be really cool if you could add a day/night circle, which would add even more immersion then just night. If you can't then I suggest night because the day time map is a little to happy for my tastes. Also, looking at the tid-bit of pictures, it's looking pretty good. Also 100% agreement on the 'mapping is an art' thing.

I also think that there should be a day-night cycle, like the one in HRP! Would help those wannabe criminals come out and steal stuff during the night, and when it's the morning, you figure out your shop's been ripped off the foundation! (Or something along those lines with the resistance.)

Although I would love a day and night cycle, that is more of a script thing, independent of the map. If not that it is more viable to script it rather than map it due to the limitations of GMod. The way you get a day + night script is to go into the HL2RP suggestions, although I do believe it has been denied in the past, but minds change.

I love the coloring as it adds a very nice feel to the map.

It's warmth. It will change.

I support having the map night time. I believe a night map would add to the darker and depressive state of City 45. I mean the citizens are basically slaves. Nothing should be making the citizens feel happy. In my opinion having a night map would just be an overall positive. Also It would make the CCA way more fearsome in my opinion.

+support night map.  :D

Alright, noted. Thank you for replying.

Night would be nice I'm for this  but what id like to see is the map alittle bigger maybe another apartment building somewhere.

Chances are, the map will be smaller. Imagine looking at a bowl, the kind you'd put cereal in. This is what the map is currently. Now imagine a long cup. That is what I will be creating. The map will be more compact. There will be more floors, more rooms, etc. I will be aiming for more space you can actually walk on then the map is currently. This is by far the future of RP maps. City 11 was small, but it was justified by promoting RP, because it was small. Although there's more places to go, you will see more people. Everybody will be by one another. I don't mean to put off that this map will be as small as City 11, it will be much much larger. I say imagine the length of S6 and that's around the size I'm thinking. There will, although, be 3 apartments. One small, maybe housing 4 rooms. Another, medium, housing maybe 8. The last one, large, somewhere from around 12 to 16.

Edit:

For those who care, I have made a little overview on what I expect to be in the map. Although, some things I haven't thought out fully, the main bulk of the things are there. http://www.mediafire.com/?8u4g1i1mwxm1p23
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:44:51 PM by |NRK| »

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
Just an FYI OA and day/night scripts don't work together(Why who the fuck knows).
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
Looks a little bit blocky(could just be me being picky, doubt i'd notice it actually playing) but I really like the texture style you are going for. Keep up the good work.
Just an FYI OA and day/night scripts don't work together(Why who the fuck knows).
Works perfectly fine, he's just got to go through the bother of putting all the entities in(you'd have to ask kaz about this as he's the one who did it for HRP)
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Super_Killer6501

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 04:55:26 AM »
WOAH! the night looks cool! if you can do it right! I would say I want night, but a Day/night cycle woyuld be awsome as well and make roleplaying way better! ;D

NRK

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Looks a little bit blocky(could just be me being picky, doubt i'd notice it actually playing) but I really like the texture style you are going for. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, but the style will change indefinitely once I figure out the map being day or night. Right now it's definitely leaning towards night. As for blocky-ness, I understand, but I can't change much and still have it being a practical and real setting.

Works perfectly fine, he's just got to go through the bother of putting all the entities in(you'd have to ask kaz about this as he's the one who did it for HRP)

That's great. I put out a sort of poll in Suggestions, but not many at all have replied. I need a sizeable amount of support for the day and night script as it changes RP so much and I haven't got shit. If the trend goes on, it'll be a night map.

Still accepting suggestions. If you want day & night, post it here: http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=10846.0 if not, post whether you want it day or night.

Offline crazily farting teacher

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
I think both with a hint of zombies to give it that creepy look.

Offline igor

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
+support a day and night cycle, just think about it. It would allow for people to go home to the UCH or where ever, eat dinner and go to bed, maybe the CCA would patrol less during the night. The RP possibilities are near endless.
C45.CCA.APEX-05.245

'Clyde'

Kal'Rinok

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
I think you should do night, but I have W7, so make it semi-dark so when it gets dark, you need nightvision because your flashlight can only see 5 feet ahead of you. Kinda like rp_OuterCanals night. Had a real Chernobyl feel, love to do that with City 45. I'd even play that map single player, spawn NPCs, and please node it! OuterCanals had EXCELLENT noding, so I could spawn a bunch of rebels (Using Player Factions Mod) and try to sneak around them. Reminds me of "All Ghillied up" from COD4, really fun when I use the Ghillie Suit Combine model. And when you fire? (Fires, and rebels start running towards your position). Loved shooting then trying to hold out in the building that I was sniping from. Seriously. Do a Night remake. And node it well.
Click to see the original size.
Click to see the original size.

Offline igor

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
Sorry for Necropost, but bump. I really like this idea. Any news on it?
C45.CCA.APEX-05.245

'Clyde'

Kal'Rinok

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal