Author Topic: "Quest" Characters [IDEA]  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"Quest" Characters [IDEA]
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
Well this is an idea I've had for awhile now. That idea being administration utilizing non-developing characters known as 'quest characters' who are available when nothing much is going on. These 'quest characters' will give players a task in return for IC items such as food, clothing, medical supplies, or tools. These 'quest characters' would give players something to do, whilst promoting rp through the reward of passive RP items. The reason these characters are admin only are because only administrators can authorize said items for players.

Some tasks you may be told to do:

-Gather firewood
-Fetch water
-Transport goods
-Locate certain plants
-Clean a building
-Deliver a message

Some items you may receive:

-Canned foods such as; soup, vegetables, meat, or juice
-IC Medical supplies such as; drugs, splints, slings, antiseptics, admission tools (cotton swabs, syringes)
-IC Items such as; notebooks, small musical instruments (harmonicas, ukuleles), tools (hammers, saws, nails), dishes (bowls, cutlery, plates)

So, thoughts on this? It wouldn't be a dedicated thing, more of just volunteer work for administrators. So there won't always be a quest character. It's up to administrators if they want to go on or not.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "Quest" Characters [IDEA]
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
Sure, why not? wouldn't even need to be an admin, could just be a trusted player. Isn't this a bit similar to Srp as well, when the traders would give you missions to do except the rewards were credits or actual items.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
I'm liking this idea. Not only does it create passiveRP whilst spreading more IC items into the community, but it also actually works to build a community itself. As much as I'd say the Outlands has a community existing within places like the Town, I think that the gathering of these basic living supplies (firewood, water, food, plants, services, etc) will create more of a community-based system. People'll be working together for the overall town.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
I would agree to this only if there's a limit. Something like "Only 1 quest per 20 minutes" or like "This quest may only be completed 3 times per day"
Don't want people hoarding everything, y'know

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:30:33 PM »
I would agree to this only if there's a limit. Something like "Only 1 quest per 20 minutes" or like "This quest may only be completed 3 times per day"
I'm sure our administrators will have a good idea of controlling this. It's not like its a scripted system. We just do it.

Sure, why not? wouldn't even need to be an admin, could just be a trusted player. Isn't this a bit similar to Srp as well, when the traders would give you missions to do except the rewards were credits or actual items.
Unfortunately, only administrators can authorize players to obtain IC items.

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
I'm sure our administrators will have a good idea of controlling this. It's not like its a scripted system. We just do it.

Kwait, if it's Admins that have to gift rewards, I can see this becoming a shitfest of OOC talk with newbs going all "admin gimme my fuckin stuff i been wating forever fuck"

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
I honestly don't like this idea at all.  This limits creativity and is almost to the point of "script < roleplay."  I understand it can create passiveRP, but passiveRP should never be forced in a manner like this.  If someone wants something done ICly, then they can simply trade items for the task ICly, no reason for an OOC "NPC" to do this for them.  Not only does it make it OOC, but it is also only a one way deal, reducing the possibilities of roleplay with multiple RPers.  If someone wants you to do something for them, and you do it for an item they give you, all completely IC, may somehow effect RP later on; the person who asked you to do the task may like you if you agree, think you're dumb if you mess up, etc.  With an NPC, there is no continuation of a story line or conflicts.  This idea just sounds like it belongs in a Bethesda game.

tl;dr- If I wanted a system like this, I would play a single player RPG like Skyrim, not an MMORPG like HL2RP. 

Also,
Kwait, if it's Admins that have to gift rewards, I can see this becoming a shitfest of OOC talk with newbs going all "admin gimme my fuckin stuff i been wating forever fuck"
as if there wasn't enough of that.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"RP FOR STUFF"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Or instead of having this all focused on items, why not development? So rather then getting an item after completing a quest, you'll get to advance the stories of the people who participate. Doing this can keep role-play fresh and brand new, but you have to make sure that you keep it in depth and not just a story that got put together and probably won't last more then a few role playing sessions.

Also, "utilizing non-developing characters" would make this 'role-play' even more linear. It's like turning HL2RP into an average shitty FPS. Why can't they develop? Do they have to stay the same person? Or will there even be a story to these quests. Is it just for items?

I like the idea Statua, but I'm just going to say that this will be the exact same thing as the generate command. "yo admin generate???" - "yo admin hit me up with a quest bro!! i want items!!!"

Passive RP can leave the same impact - or an even greater one than fast paced role-play.

/a yo bro dont tell anyone but im jonesin' for a quest!!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:00:54 PM by Bluff »

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
Frankly, I've always wanted to do this, but I've been afraid to ask because I thought I would get cast out for even mentioning it.  Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought HL2RP could do well with some MMO elements injected.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
Nice idea, but it's really what players should already be trying to do, especially faction leaders. Don't pile on unnecessary level of gameplay mechanics which will introduce its own loopholes and oversights.

Implement this at the lowest level possible - encourage players to do this on their own. Or run a faction and do it yourself. Have your subordinate leaders do this. Have them encourage their own subordinates to do this. And so on.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:01:27 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Oh, I was under the impression that this would be a thing the admin's would make special character's for, and then give people quests as that character to get IC items, not scripted ones. If that isn't the case and they're making NPC's, that turns me off on the idea.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
Oh, I was under the impression that this would be a thing the admin's would make special character's for, and then give people quests as that character to get IC items, not scripted ones. If that isn't the case and they're making NPC's, that turns me off on the idea.

From what I understand, Statua is saying that admins will be the ones doing this, not NPCs.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
No. God no I would NEVER allow such a thing. I'm one for RP>script. Admins create characters designated to give other characters tasks in return for a reward. The quest characters are run by a real human being who can interact with the other player. Quest characters are non-developing as in, they dont join factions or travel or whatever. They can still have conversations with other players, have a drink, move around the building, etc.

Quest characters aren't like the NPC's in MMOs. They don't stand at a table herpaderpin. They actually RP. Maybe a quest character wants you to collect a certain plant to make a medicine to give to the clinic. Or maybe they want you to clean a few pots so they can make soup for people at the inn.

Also, let's not forget the point that a quest character is only about when nothing else is going on and people are bored. However I do see the problem with people whining over ooc. Anyone have ideas for that or do we just tell them to zip it?

That's the point behind admin only. Only administrators can authorize in-character items. Player returns from quest, they receive IC item. Admin is RIGHT there to authorize it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:01:27 PM by Statua »

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
One thing I don't want happening is admins creating characters solely for the purpose of giving "quests." Why don't they just use their main characters to do that?

I'm not sure whether or not Statua meant to imply that, but still - I want to make my opinion clear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:45:59 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 12:14:41 AM »
I don't get why you can't just use your current characters for this?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal