Author Topic: When did games become about graphics? [DEBATE]  (Read 7956 times)

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
When did games become about graphics? [DEBATE]
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
IMO, games were born for the gameplay, otherwise Mario would've been created a fat, greasy plumbers who jumps down tiny pipes.

So really, games, what are they born for?
im bach

Offline nulll

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: When did games become about graphics? [DEBATE]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »
Imo, games were NOT made for the gameplay...

Maybe they were, back in the days where I was too young to play computer, but the demand for proper games has made old games like CSS useless crap.

You say that CSS is the foundation of all games? Well, I don't think so. Maybe CoD is basically a CSS ripoff, but BF3 is definitely not. BF3 has tactics, many gamemodes, vehicles, and proper graphics. Therefore, IMO, BF3 is the REAL foundation of FPS games. Even though all FPS games DO include a certain CSS element, its still limited how much you take from that old game.
~Russian Style!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
Games were founded on gameplay, to have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzXKMqZBBc

That is Quake, the founder of modern video games.

About 5 years after this comes out Quake 3 came out, it set the world standard for online FPS.

That video is the team that made the first quake, the engine is what source is based off of and most physics engines use parts of it.

Before quake you had doom, a game which ran on DOS and a floppy disk, while quake was put on a CD.

I personally will pick gameplay over graphics anyday.

And veren I ask that you please watch that video all the way to the end.

CSS is more of a newer quake then anything else, BF3 still bases its self off of CSS in the way of team work and such.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

Maybe they were, back in the days where I was too young to play computer, but the demand for proper games has made old games like CSS useless crap.

You say that CSS is the foundation of all games? Well, I don't think so. Maybe CoD is basically a CSS ripoff, but BF3 is definitely not. BF3 has tactics, many gamemodes, vehicles, and proper graphics. Therefore, IMO, BF3 is the REAL foundation of FPS games. Even though all FPS games DO include a certain CSS element, its still limited how much you take from that old game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLD20KIiLM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLD20KIiLM</a>

Watch that. do it

Offline Eclipse

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:54:54 AM »
I can give a shit less about how the graphics look, I care about gameplay and the fun the game will bring. I rarely play any new games because the gameplay is shit.

Offline nulll

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLD20KIiLM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLD20KIiLM</a>

Watch that. do it

I've seen that before. All he does is ramble about singleplayer. Fuck singleplayer! There is a thing about singleplayer that I DO like, and that is that finally the Russians are not the enemies. You actually have to shoot a US military guy (your commander, actually), under the command of a Russian agent. You do that to save the world, lol.

Anyways, I feel that I'm a bit outmatched here, as this is a Gmod forum...  :-\
~Russian Style!

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »
People in this thread are assuming games where made for gameplay and not graphics as if back in 1996 id software COULD have released Quake with BF3 level of graphics, but that's not true, Quake was round about the average graphics quality for the time...

I find if the graphics are shit, I dont like a game, if the gameplay is shit, I dont like a game. Although currently call me a hipster but I completely HATE how modern games look, I prefer BF2 to BF3 so much more, graphics and gameplay wise...

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »
Games WERE made for the enjoyment and gameplay of the players.

Now? Games are made for money.
Why else would there be a 106821068th call of duty, fifa and all that milky milky bullshit AGAIN?
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
Games WERE made for the enjoyment and gameplay of the players.

Now? Games are made for money.
Why else would there be a 106821068th call of duty, fifa and all that milky milky bullshit AGAIN?

^ Quoted for truth.

An example would be Minecraft, for instance. Why? It opens up creativity.
Games like CoD just repeat the same shit, over, and over, and over again. CoD can't have a stable gaming community simply because of it's lack of diversity for modding.
Minecraft does not have any official modding system that allows players to download mods from other servers... yet. But they still have a massive modding community in less than 2 years, imagine how big the modding community would become when the official Minecraft client allows itself to download mods! We lack in games that openly allow creativity.
Clearly racist.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
In your opinion, Verkinin? Well I don't give a SHIT about your opinion.

Do you think Doom 3 was made for graphics? NO. They made it for people to have fun, it didn't slacken my jaw. And you scream "BF3 has teh bestest graphuc evar1" funny, how it's graphics are lower def then COD. Funnier, if you sin around fast enough, you can find wall textures failing to render. You care only about graphics, I guess you'd play a game where you are Josef Frytzl, and you wouldn't care if it looked like you were looking out of a coffee filter (like BF3, brown graphics)

Offline Ordnas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:45:09 AM »

Man, you are giving BF3 too much credit.
"The REAL foundation of FPS"?, If anything, it should be Doom. The first Really-Well-Known FPS. It's LAN games were amazing for that time, it was the perfect timewaster.

Also, the Tribes series. It had multiple gamemodes, and vehicles, even different classes, all of this in 1998, years before the first BF

So, BF3 is not the real foundation, it is founded on - Well... - the REAL foundation that dates back to 1998 or even before of that.

Offline Ordnas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:49:48 AM »

Minecraft?
Minecraft was also milked to hell. The transiction from beta to Release: A useless feature, a broken and unfinished game, a lot of unfullfiled promises, and a 20 euro tag

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »

Minecraft?
Minecraft was also milked to hell. The transiction from beta to Release: A useless feature, a broken and unfinished game, a lot of unfullfiled promises, and a 20 euro tag

Minecraft is probably one of the most fun games i have ever played, there's just so much to do in it.

Back on topic

I could care less about the graphics, if I played a game for just the graphics it would get really boring with in the first 10-20 minutes. I find that BF3 has the best of both worlds, great graphics and amazing game play.

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline nulll

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
In your opinion, Verkinin? Well I don't give a SHIT about your opinion.

Do you think Doom 3 was made for graphics? NO. They made it for people to have fun, it didn't slacken my jaw. And you scream "BF3 has teh bestest graphuc evar1" funny, how it's graphics are lower def then COD. Funnier, if you sin around fast enough, you can find wall textures failing to render. You care only about graphics, I guess you'd play a game where you are Josef Frytzl, and you wouldn't care if it looked like you were looking out of a coffee filter (like BF3, brown graphics)

And you think somebody cares about your opinion?

There's no need to be fucking rude. If you continue to be an ass, I'll show you just how rude a person can be.

BF3 graphics LOOK better than COD, fuck def, my screen isn't even 1920x1080.

"Funnier, if you sin around fast enough, you can find wall textures failing to render."

When you're ingame, and bullets are flying around you, is that what you do? Do you spin around trying to find an error in the game? If you do so, you'll get shot. As long as the textures render fast enough in normal gameplay (which they do in BF3), you should be happy.

". You care only about graphics(...)" Did I ever say that? No. Don't post shit directed towards me when you don't read my fucking posts.

"You care only about graphics, I guess you'd play a game where you are Josef Frytzl, and you wouldn't care if it looked like you were looking out of a coffee filter (like BF3, brown graphics)"

What the fuck is wrong with you?? I think I'll refrain from commenting any more on that obviously retarded post.
~Russian Style!

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
The fact is, old games were a shining example of how it can be entertaining.
Because how you "complete" your game, is based on how you are satisfied with it.

New FPS games such as CoD follow this mundane, boring pattern, CoD consisted of
Go to A. Go through a corridor. Cutscene. Go to B. Go to C. Cutscene. Go through corridor. Cutscene. End mission.

Older FPS games (Quake, Doom, etc)
Complete the level how you want to do it.
Rocket jump over barriers if you had enough health.
Bunny hop your way to victory.
Find all the secrets first before going to next level.
Accumulate as much kills and item pick ups as you can.
Use any types of weapon you want.
Do it as fast as you can.

That was gaming. You were the boss of the game, not some game that attempts at being realistic but fails miserably at being realistic or even delivering the slightest bit of entertainment that you paid for.
Older games consisted of;
Finding as much secrets as you can.
Racking up as much points/kills as much as you can.
Doing it as fast as you can.
Collecting the best items that the level has given you.
Make your own challenge (The old doom speed runs consisting of not using your gun, at all.)

To top it off, people who make maps for the old games, actually spent their time in making it fan-fucking-tastic and entertaining.

Click to see the original size.
Click to see the original size.
Clearly racist.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal