Author Topic: Lua Tutoring  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Constable Strelnikov

• Nothing more dangerous than [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Lua Tutoring
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »
Title says all. Wondering if anyone would offer free Lua lessons. Too incompetent and protective of my files to teach myself.

[Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.]

READY AYE READY

Alexei Strelnikov | Alive | Innocent. Or is he?
C45.MPF.NOVA-OfC.900 | In service

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lua Tutoring
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:48 AM »
I'm not really sure if tutoring sessions are really something that's useful. My honest recommendation would be looking at a book for lua and getting a basic understanding of how it works (like data types, implementations of functions, formatting, etc), then actually looking at code examples and messing around with them. That's how I learned basically.

Also, I would like to mention that chances are, you aren't going to learn in a week or two. It'll take a few months before you really get a good understanding and a hand on what to do in all the different cases.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
I think learning by yourself is the way to go. Lua isn't that hard to pick up at all, and it's a great starting language if you want to get into advanced programming(C/C++, C#, etc).

Read Programming in Lua here. It's made by the creators of Lua and though it is 2 editions old, it's still a great way to get started.

Take a look at Learn Lua in 15 Minutes here. You're not going to actually learn Lua in 15 minutes, however it's basically a tutorial written in code. The explanation is written in comments and explain what you're looking at.

When you get to coding for Garry's Mod, take a glance at the wiki here. If you find an undocumented page, take a look at the old wiki(Garry's Mod 12) here.

Lastly, just take a look at other people's work. See how other people write and try to figure out what their code does. You can even try to recreate their code, make it more efficient and whatnot.

As for text editors, I personally use Sublime Text 3 with the GMod Lua syntax highlighter. IF you do decide to use Sublime Text, install Package Control. It basically installs any plugin, theme, and syntax highlighter you want straight from Sublime Text. No need to Google anything, you just search for it in the text editor and it installs everything for you. If you don't want to buy Sublime Text, use Notepad++ with the GMod Lua syntax highlighter.

Also, note that you will not remember everything. For every project you work on, you will have to reference something or Google something. Every programmer does this and don't let it make you feel like you're a bad coder.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:55:51 AM by wakeboarderCWB »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/lua/

this is very nice for a quick "ok here is the language and its basics" presented to u in the language its self through comments, might be confusing until you have a grasp on programming languages in general and the "language" that programming languages use (whats a variable, an array, etcetc)

site also has other languages which is nice

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/lua/

this is very nice for a quick "ok here is the language and its basics" presented to u in the language its self through comments, might be confusing until you have a grasp on programming languages in general and the "language" that programming languages use (whats a variable, an array, etcetc)

site also has other languages which is nice

Take a look at Learn Lua in 15 Minutes here. You're not going to actually learn Lua in 15 minutes, however it's basically a tutorial written in code. The explanation is written in comments and explain what you're looking at.

Yeah..

Also, note that if you ever need help go to Facepunch.com. That's the heart of GMod coders. http://facepunch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
sry i dont read ur posts anymore

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
sry i dont read ur posts anymore
Should probably start, it helps in making your posts more constructive.

Also, Comrade, found this on Facepunch. http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1337945

Has a lot of useful links.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal