Author Topic: Thinking of selling TWO GTX 660's  (Read 6235 times)

Offline ReillyP

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Thinking of selling TWO GTX 660's
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
i'd personally rather have two cards. that way if one breaks you're not completely screwed, not to mention they'll last longer because of not being as loaded

But why would a card break if you have adequate cooling. They are designed to downclock or even shut down when too warm.

If you are going to buy something expensive, know your stuff and treat it right.
I slay demon and demonic accessories.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
i'd personally rather have two cards. that way if one breaks you're not completely screwed, not to mention they'll last longer because of not being as loaded

But why would a card break if you have adequate cooling. They are designed to downclock or even shut down when too warm.

If you are going to buy something expensive, know your stuff and treat it right.

Treating a card right doesn't always ensure it will last, like my previous cards in this system proved.

I had two old 9800GT's and they were both more than adequately cooled, my system temperature never peaks over 30c even with my new cards but one of the 9800GT's wore out after just after a year and started failing with artifacts and BSOD's

I personally agree with Waffle in the fact that it's always better to have two slightly less powerful cards, SLI has worked fine for me on any game I throw at it with great scaling, it all depends on your motherboard and full setup. Plus, a GTX 780TI starts at £549 which will still require me to do a complete system rebuild with a new CPU and Motherboard,  most likely an Intel if I planned to SLI a GTX 780TI.

A GTX 770 is a pretty high-spec card and will do me fine when in SLI.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 05:00:03 AM »
a lot of games actually handle one card better than 2 with sli and sli can often introduce shit like frame stuttering but at the same time a lot of the times its more performance so its kinda whatever if you can afford two cards run it sli and disable sli whenever you just need one card

also graphics card dont only fail because they're hot, electronic components degrade over time and while heat would help that you can just get a faulty card or one thats gonna die faster , just happens (like how some gpu/cpus will overclock better than others of the exact same model and manufacturer)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal