Author Topic: Gordon Freeman.  (Read 2250 times)

Offline RapidJuice

• View Profile
    • Awards
Gordon Freeman.
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
This has been on my mind for a little while, but it's not a thread about "omg sum1 maek a grd0n fr33man character".

We all know that the Vortigaunts were enslaved by the Combine, right? That's what they do. They enslave races.
So, Gordon Freeman in Half Life, somewhere a long time before where our HL2RP is set, kills the Nihilanth and the Vortigaunts pledge allegiance to humanity. In short, Vorts join the Resistance for the good of humanity. Hence why you don't see a loyalist vortigaunt.

Thing is, Vortigaunts are all linked by a big ol' telepathic force called the "Vortessense". Vortigaunts can all speak to eachother and their leaders/elders must have told them at some point:
"Hey guys. We need to help the humans. Not the Combine."
But, whether or not these elders or leaders told the rest of the race about the hero who saved their entire race from an eternity of slavery is kinda hazy in HL2RP servers, so they just kinda void Gordon Freeman completely from their roleplay.

Since we can't assume there are any Vortigaunt loyalists whatsoever, since the HL2 canon thinks that's ridiculous, there must have been a point where every Vortigaunt was told about Freeman or atleast their race being freed. Whether that be they were all horded into a big room and did a Power-Point presentation about it, or told through the Vortessense if possible. Vortigaunts should know about Freeman.

Think about it, every Vortigaunt knows that some mysterious hero called "Freeman" released their race from slavery, but even while Gordon Freeman is in stasis during this time after he defeats the Nihilanth, shouldn't they have mentioned him SOMEWHERE?

I'm not saying everyone should know about Gordon Freeman coming back to save their race from the Combine's rule, but Vortigaunts should atleast have hope that he'd return.
Thoughts?
HL2RP Status

Stephen 'Kane' - ANTI-CITIZEN 1 - Alive.

Offline D3adf0x

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gordon Freeman.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
Well I do agree that he should be mentioned, but if so very, very brief, but what I find strange about hl2 (the game) is that every single rebel in the entire game knows about freeman, even though in half life 1, the military killed off everyone related to black mesa, except a rare few, and how every single one of those people ended up in the same city, though I suspect G-man. But still, how does every rebel in the entire city know him, especially near the beginning of the game, I understand the later, where word spreads.  Anyways ending /pointlessrant

Offline GRID

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
Well I do agree that he should be mentioned, but if so very, very brief, but what I find strange about hl2 (the game) is that every single rebel in the entire game knows about freeman, even though in half life 1, the military killed off everyone related to black mesa, except a rare few, and how every single one of those people ended up in the same city, though I suspect G-man. But still, how does every rebel in the entire city know him, especially near the beginning of the game, I understand the later, where word spreads.  Anyways ending /pointlessrant
The Vortigaunts must of told them that Freeman was their savior, and that he was sure to return to save humanity, or some shit like that.

Offline D3adf0x

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
Yeah, but most of half life 2 happened over what, a day? Two? I don't think it spread word that fast, and the reason I know they didn't already know was because at the beginning, people didn't know it was you, so yeah.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
I played through a section of the start of the campaign yesterday and Breen made a speech about half way through. He directly references Gordon as having something to do with the Black Mesa incident and I'm almost certain that all vortigaunts would be aware of Gordon going to Xen to destroy the Nihilanth as well.

Interesting question.

Offline GRID

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
Yeah, but most of half life 2 happened over what, a day? Two? I don't think it spread word that fast, and the reason I know they didn't already know was because at the beginning, people didn't know it was you, so yeah.
I mean, when he was in statsis, athe vorts must of told rebels of him before he came, to give the rebels a bit of hope.

Offline D3adf0x

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
Oh, your probably right, so then wouldn't most of the 'official' rebels know about him then? [Rapid's idea]

Offline RapidJuice

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Well, the idea is that after a short while, most or all citizens would know about Freeman before he came.
But, well. Vortigaunts are retarded and probably did a load of Yoda talk to accompany it, so they didn't know what he looked like.

Another key incident is when Gordon first arrives in City 17, the cameras instantly tag him as "647e" AKA BOL by our standards. That means Dr. Breen kinda made it a big deal if he came back. Since he was just about to board a train to Nova Prospekt after being directed by Civil Protection, then Barney had to save his glasses-wearin' ass with a random inspection.

So basically.
People who have contact with a Vortigaunt, AKA making friends with a Vortigaunt allows that Vortigaunt to tell that person about Freeman. Yay! Finally!

In turn, a citizen can tell two citizens, then it'll spread and spread until Episode 3 never comes out.
HL2RP Status

Stephen 'Kane' - ANTI-CITIZEN 1 - Alive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal