Poll

Do you think the Combine Civil Authority should be majorly changed?

Combine Nation-Like CCA.
37 (68.5%)
Keep it as it is (TnB's basis)
17 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Changing the Combine Civil Authority  (Read 15968 times)

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Changing the Combine Civil Authority
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »
Very reluctant about this. CCA may be a human faction but it's directly over seen and managed by the Combine to ensure sociostability. And personally - I like the digits system. A whole lot. Not to mention once Lulrebels can know CCA Unit's true identities? Do you know how many rebel groups there are that would LOVE for this change to go through? Suddenly all ZEALOT units are exposed with their true names. Good luck spying on things in D6.

I mean - Don't get me wrong, change is good. And I believe just changing how training is handled would be a huge benefit to the CCA in the style that Burning Bullet mentioned - but this whole business of making Units structured into a literal police force instead of a paramilitary sociostability organization doesn't seem right to me.

And Renegade? Please don't flame / throw huge pissy fits in an intelligent discussion.

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
Most people here seem reluctant to change because they're afraid to start from the bottom again. To be honest, who cares? Just because a new system is introduced, that doesn't mean we automatically go to DARKRP WHOA DARK RP HERE.

@Raged: I can see where you are coming from, but really, it's a big comparison to say "We might as well say the Civil Protection are policemen instead of a military force." because, in fact, they are aren't they? The basis of the HL2 canon was basically that CP's were the patrolling officers of the cities, and Overwatch were the military of the combine, keeping harm at bay. But I do understand 100% where you are coming from.

@Lance: Was there really a canon set in place that fixates the combine? Or was it just, CP's: Protect civillians from non-union counterparts. OTA: Destroy all rebel figures who stand in way. And the rest was really just interpreted by fans. Altering the canon doesn't mean a step into DarkRP, it just means altering the canon to a new CG HL2 Canon.

@Renegade: Your argument was just a pointless flame.
im bach

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 04:15:39 AM »
Play through the first few levels of Half-Life 2 and tell me if you see friendly constable police officers who are humanely oppressing the rest of humanity.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
If these change happens, then I am very glad I left before it did. The Civil Protection you see in Half Life 2 are cold, disciplined and very military-like. CPs are the military of the City, Overwatch are for outside of the Combines control, the elite within the elite. Changing the names ans ranks of the CCA to Constable, etc looks completely and utterly out of the Half life 2 universe, not to mention stupid.

Edit: Also, this CCA is no-where near TnBs. You, SatN, were the one to change the division names to TnBs, you are also the one following off TnB while we were doing fine before your "Reform". If you really want it to be not-so-TnB like, then why did you make such changes in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:34:50 AM by KillmePlz »
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:54 AM »
Combine Nation is a comedy series by Lit Fuse that failed due to hard drive failure.

And we're basing our entire structure on it.

... Seriously?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:49:09 AM by GeneralTrivium »

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »
I am voting for the current state of the CCA structure. I fully agree with Sheo, raged and KillmePlz. The current rank system is fine. It is working. Don't fix what's not broken yet. Changing the rank names will NOT push the actual players to roleplay more like humans. My opinion is that it should be as it's now - keep the way how to RP units up to their owners. It is fully their decision. If you begin enforcing it, they will leave. I don't know if you care about it or no, but if these changes come in effect, you will not see me on CG HL2RP anymore.

Catalyst Gaming HL2RP is the best community I have ever played at,  but that does not mean people will stay here if you give them reason to leave.

Edit. Also you should count only votes posted in this thread, not just some fucking lolvoters who may have not even played HL2RP once, or who have no unit.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:57:27 AM by Khubajsn »

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 05:57:29 AM »
I could understand a system like this being in place at the very beginning of the CCA's creation, and bit by bit the humanity of it being stripped away to be replaced by digits.

But this is just going backwards.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
I don't want this happening for the reasons sheo, kmp and raged gave(doesn't mean it won't but I think this is a really really stupid idea, try to convince me otherwise)
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
To those who said "no this isnt in canon" you are dumb. The ranking syatem put in place now along with MANY other systems is not in canon. It was never established in the official HL2 canon. In fact, it was created by a rp group. The names shield, vice, zealot, are all made up by unofficial means. This means we can change them without damaging the canonical flow. Your QQing is invalid. Find another reason or go cry elsewhere.

Its about time the CCA got a bit more interesting to rp other then "move along" "keep moving" "### status on plaza".

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
Okay, if we're going to play this game, The Pact, JURY, SIERRA, The Clinic, Third Eye, Civil Workers Union, Civiwatch etc should be removed because they "are all made up by unofficial means". If you don't like the way the CCA is, why do you even bother playing a half life 2 based roleplay? Actually, I'm surprised you're even caring about this, Statua, seeing as you've been pro-outlands for as long as I can remember.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »
To those who said "no this isnt in canon" you are dumb. The ranking syatem put in place now along with MANY other systems is not in canon. It was never established in the official HL2 canon. In fact, it was created by a rp group. The names shield, vice, zealot, are all made up by unofficial means. This means we can change them without damaging the canonical flow. Your QQing is invalid. Find another reason or go cry elsewhere.

Its about time the CCA got a bit more interesting to rp other then "move along" "keep moving" "### status on plaza".

The digits and ranks of our units have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with how they roleplay, and it's just infuriating that you would insinuate that it does.

This is literally your WHOLE ARGUMENT:

I'm referred to as C45.CCA.SHIELD-01.###, Welp, I have no choice but to be a cold sadistic asshole to everyone.

How, the hell, is that considered a logical statement? CCA Units can roleplay being human beings just fine thank you. My 05 talks to any citizen that approaches him and doesn't really care - there's no rule against talking with citizens. If they say they're new, he'll even offer to give them a small tour of District 1. On top of that, he always apologizes to the people he's re-educating, or detaining. Even if it's only a simple "Sorry 'bout this, mate."

Point in case: Currently, there's no rule that ANY kind of unit has to roleplay as an emotionless robot - It's only stated that they get better at preforming their duties and less hesitant about it. I could have an 01 that was extremely friendly, charming, and nice to citizens as long as he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, or order a unit to pull the trigger when neccessary. That doesn't mean he has to be remorseless about it. When he's alone on break or any other time he's alone to reflect on his actions it might be quite painful for him.

TL;DR, Your rank names and digits aren't making your character an asshole. You are.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:00:44 AM by Sheo »

Offline Orange - Cisco Certified

• aSK mE aBOUT mY pENIS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
Also, what someone up there said.

If you base your decision to change the CCA based on those votes then this is even dumber than I thought. You do realize that most of those who voted yes are either rebels or non CCA. It's doubtful that even five percent of those people are actual units.

People need to stop assuming that just because we have a number system that would be implemented by the combine to make us look more threatening or more robotic that we all RP robots. I'm nothing like that and like I've stated before: changing the titles won't do anything other than race anyone who joins for a good HL2RP away with silly looking CPs.

Imagine leaving any other HL2RP and then joining this one with the new "reform". They would think we're idiots and leave- because this is an idiotic idea.

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Combine Nation is just some comical shit.. Implementing this will make us look as we are trying to have a comical CCA departments.. A turndown for new players imo.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline ??. McBullet

• The African Oldfag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
See? I told ya that people would think this reform is a load of shit when it's named after a comedy show. The reform actually has about 1 percent in common with Combine Nation, that being the rank names.

Despite my original position, I vote to move this poll into the Civil Protection Private Forums, where only CCA units can access and vote on it.

Offline Nick?3

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
I'm still rather positive regarding this, but Sheo makes a great point as others stated. You could be an 01, and a charmer... I mean... my Divisional-Leader is a pretty nice guy. Then again, he isn't brainwashed.

On-the-fence, however, I am still going to refrain my vote as of now and simply keep up with the discussion. Try to add in here and there, but to summarize how I feel. I don't know; this can work and I would be fine with it happening, but it has a bit of a soft... vibe. See, I may, roleplay, a caring and soft character myself. But that's my character. No-no, I feel the Civil-Authority should be more paramilitaristic, because it is. When you think about what units have, compared to modern day officers, it's an entire-grade up. You have SMG's, sidearms, ballistic-vests and high-grade riot gear, zipties (something SWAT uses, and Special-Forces.) I'd see them as a combination of SWAT and a sort of PMC. Because in a way; they are.

By this happening... you've basically put a bucket on our heads with the label 'Lieutenant Tibbles.' It just gives a bit more of a gateway to stupidity. Then again... look at some of our own units. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything. I'm good either-way. I'll adapt if it happens to change, and I may not like it the most...

But majority votes. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:40:36 PM by Nickâ?¥ »

Semper Fi~

BOS: Marines, United States.
Name: Nick Lucci.
POST-ID: 298-31-0615.
Current Position/Rank: First-Lieutenant, Senior Airman and Aviation Officer, O-2/A.
M.O.S.: 7500's; Aviation and C.A.S. support. MV-22 A.S. "Osprey."
S.R.: Roughly three years; second T.O.D.
A.O.S.: Badghis, Afghanistan; Montri; Kuwait (Not D-P Yet)
Unit: VMM-264, 2nd MAW A.S. Division-C, Company F "Black Knights."
^

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal