Author Topic: My personal map  (Read 8915 times)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My personal map
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:41 AM »

Keep in mind this map isn't specifically made for this community, I'm just doing it out of my own free will. Supposedly, this map would take place somewhere in City 17, and if you looked in the first part of HL2, in the apartment complex, everything was completely trashed in there. That included broken walls, furniture stuffed in the stair ways, etc.

Just giving you some constructive criticism. lol the map is epic as is. I just like to nitpick =P

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
Nah, I don't mind criticism. I would usually prefer it along the way of mapping, instead of being 99% done, and then getting them.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »
Nah, I don't mind criticism. I would usually prefer it along the way of mapping, instead of being 99% done, and then getting them.
I dont get enough criticism when I map. People always go "OMFG AWESOME" and three days later, I change it cause it sucks. Make sme wonder how many things I made that suck more.

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »
I dont get enough criticism when I map. People always go "OMFG AWESOME" and three days later, I change it cause it sucks. Make sme wonder how many things I made that suck more.

Try posting your maps on other forums. I browse Facepunch's mapping section a lot, and I guess I'm part of their mapping community and we all know each other. 50% of what I know about mapping, I learned from there and improved from their criticism.

Offline AcornMan

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »
98% of what I know from mapping I learned by fucking around on Source SDK :P and thanks for confirming my suspicion on the door ownability thing for me. The other 2% I got from two people, that one: ZPS maps are more fun with complex contraptions like a "tanktrain"(as it's called or something in Source SDK, haven't been on it in so long), and two: Don't use a space in the map name, use "_" instead so it doesn't crash the server (as I found out multiple times on the server I was essentially the co-owner of and would kinda piss off the owner so he'd just derp me off or something when we played, I wonder if I could get ZPS on Mac...).
"Groovy", "This, is my Boom stick".
"RoflWaffle: Servers are going to be down for at least 12 hours as I locked myself out of the box again"."RoflWaffle: :c I need to stop doing that".Justin Newton AKA Jay killed RTLK using "weapon_copgun_ocrp "I've now killed all the admins and dev's at least once."- Justin Newton AKA Jay".
For funny billboards: http://majormike.us/?p=128

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
Fun fact: The only reason it was like that was due to the Combine Civil Authority raid on the apartment complex.

On another note, that is a really cool map! I simply adore it. You have quite the keen eye for details and I hope to see this map get popular.

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
Fun fact: The only reason it was like that was due to the Combine Civil Authority raid on the apartment complex.

On another note, that is a really cool map! I simply adore it. You have quite the keen eye for details and I hope to see this map get popular.

It was like that before the CP's raided.

But thanks for the compliment!

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 01:19:46 AM »
Alright. So, I now finished the 2nd CCH (to the left) and I'm almost done with the current nexus so far. I just need an opinion for the big observational window.

Should I keep it as glass, or metal on the outside?

--

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:30:34 AM by Highdef »

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:51 AM »
Get some bullet proof on their! :P As much as I hate to inform you but minges can be very crafty when being a pain in the butt, that can include breaking a window for fun. (As we all see commonly on HL2RP)

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
It's not breakable or anything, but what I'm asking is what I should keep it as on the outside, glass or combine metal?

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
Made a facepunch thread here, so if anyone wants to reply, please do :)

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1108555-RP_Sector7-W.I.P.

I guess I'll post some updates here as well.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:23:24 PM by Highdef »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
Changes from the last version are nice. But why does the skybox work for you? for me it looks like all the clouds are on the top face where the 5 other faces are flat orange. Should use an airlock door for the entrance though. Not the combine door.

Offline Adam S

• I FUCK HORSES AND I HAVE AUTISM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
Real sexy

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
Changes from the last version are nice. But why does the skybox work for you? for me it looks like all the clouds are on the top face where the 5 other faces are flat orange. Should use an airlock door for the entrance though. Not the combine door.

On the other thread, I posted I might be switching to a different skybox later on.

Offline AcornMan

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
I never could figure out how to do a skybox, I just did a 3-D skybox texture which was always bright when I wanted it to be, otherwise you guys are talking about the little minimap thing floating around nowhere people can get to without no-clip in which case I have no idea how to do and if I did it wouldn't help all that much since my mapping days are kinda over, but all in all, great job, I never went into much detail until after all the basics were done in my maps which was very little to say the least since it was a game about getting ammo/guns and surviving zombies or just "noming" on humans.
"Groovy", "This, is my Boom stick".
"RoflWaffle: Servers are going to be down for at least 12 hours as I locked myself out of the box again"."RoflWaffle: :c I need to stop doing that".Justin Newton AKA Jay killed RTLK using "weapon_copgun_ocrp "I've now killed all the admins and dev's at least once."- Justin Newton AKA Jay".
For funny billboards: http://majormike.us/?p=128

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal