Author Topic: Role playing - "Think you're good? Here's the nooks and crannies." [HL2RP]  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think some people have forgotten what role playing is about. Let me remind you; It's about immersing yourself in a different reality while pretending to be the character that you are playing.

Immersion's definition:

noun

an act or instance of immersing.
state of being immersed.
state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.

Half Life 2 Roleplay isn't about earning money, it isn't about gaining stats, it's not about achieving a certain goal, it's about developing a character's story within a different reality, and making your character survive a scenario.

This means, when you play Half Life 2 Role Play, you surround yourself in the world you are in. You're not in your safe little American/British/Danish homes or cities anymore. You're in a city run by the civil protection who are known to snap necks over curse words, and beat over running. They are to be FEARED.

-Here's a problem brought up earlier in OOC about failure to immerse in the game mode.

Combine: "Get out of here!"
Citizen moves back five feet, continuing to stare
Combine pulls out electric baton
Citizen stares

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is bull shit. It makes the game unenjoyable not only for the combine, but for other citizens spectating. Other citizens are supposed to see the compliance and control that the combine have over the citizens; It's all a part of the atmosphere of the game.

- Another problem that I constantly deal with; The CCA are talking, they chit and chat, I get involved with them trying to roleplay seriously, and then the LOOC chatter starts happening about something completely retarded, and it kills the mood of the game.

Combine: Citizen, I need to speak with you
Worker: Yes sir, what's the issue
Combine: This citizen is very hurt, and needs medical assistance
Combine(LOOC): LOL D00D TRICYCLE STUCK HALF WAY UP HIS ASS.
Worker: Right... uh, i'll get on that.
Combine2(LOOC): ARE YOU GONNA GET THE TRICYLCE OUT LOLLLEIESSS, LETS GO GET DONUTS BRO!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is just annoying and bothersome. I don't like how often OOC is used in this game. OOC should be for explaining something that happened on accident in game or having to do with glitches within the game, not have a separate conversation with the person you're playing with, if you wanted to do that, go into SF and save the rest of us the mood kill. Maybe we should play with it disabled for a little while and see what it's like?

-Dead bodies, STOP GRABBING THEM AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM. First of all, you're all malnourished citizens, there's no way you'd be able to lift a body up off the ground and carry it. Second off, it's just plain stupid, dead or unconcious people don't get picked up and thrown around, think about how ridiculousness that would be in real life.

Grandma faints
Grand child 1 picks up grandma by back, slamming her around as he walks her up the stairs, placing her down in a weird positon
Grand child 2 jump crouches over the grandma, picking her up again and setting her down only to be annoying

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Retarded.

For a roleplaying world to come alive, we need everyone's help and cooperation. Just stop being minges and trolls. When you see something different, be mature about it, look at it, gaze it, don't run up and steal it, or try to break it.

And truth be told, if you're under the age of 16, you shouldn't be playing HL2RP. You should be playing some other lesser game mode because without an established high school education, you can't have the maturity to appreciate this form of acting. That doesn't apply to EVERYONE, however, I'm sure most would agree that 18 year old and older are more serious than 14 and under...

Sure, this was sort of a rant, but it's a rant that's been a long time coming, help the server get it's atmosphere back, and do your part. It only takes one idiot to fuck up the entire game for everyone.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:16:01 AM by [cG] Klashy »

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HOLY FUCK THIS.

Everything you've said is completely valid. Maybe the adminges should act on this.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Yeah i'm hoping to increase awareness about it and try and get hl2 back to the great game it used to be. I mean don't get me wrong, it's still... doable. But this stuff has to come to an end one way or another.

Offline SoapANator

• View Profile
    • Awards
People play rp for diff reason
Former Characters:
Jimmy Valtizno - Civil Protection memeber for six months. Highest rank achived: EpU in APEX. Cause of Death: Shot, for attempted suicide.
Konstatine Ivanov - Held in prison cell for Anti-Civil activity for several months. Unkown if he's dead or alive.

MIA Characters
Gregory 'Death' Nikitn- Last seen wondering acorss the Outlands, in a critical state.
Zoe Kriyake - Has not been heard in weeks. Possibly re-located to C-18

Alive Characters
Pavalo Anodov - Wondering C18, unsure

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think some people have forgotten what role playing is about. Let me remind you; It's about immersing yourself in a different reality while pretending to be the character that you are playing.

Immersion's definition:

noun

state of being immersed.

Half Life 2 Roleplay isn't about earning money, it isn't about gaining stats, it's not about achieving a certain goal, it's about developing a character's story within a different reality, and making your character survive a scenario.

This means, when you play Half Life 2 Role Play, you surround yourself in the world you are in. You're not in your safe little American/British/Danish homes or cities anymore. You're in a city run by the civil protection who are known to snap necks over curse words, and beat over running. They are to be FEARED.

-Here's a problem brought up earlier in OOC about failure to immerse in the game mode.

Citizen stares

Not really sure what this means, if that is /me'd all of it, well then take it ICly, yeah theyre supposed to fearRP but fearrp can result in just standing still doing nothing (kinda like paralyse)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is bull shit. It makes the game unenjoyable not only for the combine, but for other citizens spectating. Other citizens are supposed to see the compliance and control that the combine have over the citizens; It's all a part of the atmosphere of the game.

- Another problem that I constantly deal with; The CCA are talking, they chit and chat, I get involved with them trying to roleplay seriously, and then the LOOC chatter starts happening about something completely retarded, and it kills the mood of the game.

Combine2(LOOC): ARE YOU GONNA GET THE TRICYLCE OUT LOLLLEIESSS, LETS GO GET DONUTS BRO!

If someone asks for (L)OOC silence during RP, people should comply to that. Its up to the people involves/around if they want to chat meanwhile or not. If someone keeps talking looc while rp even after silence was asked, tell an admin

This is just annoying and bothersome. I don't like how often OOC is used in this game. OOC should be for explaining something that happened on accident in game or having to do with glitches within the game, not have a separate conversation with the person you're playing with, if you wanted to do that, go into SF and save the rest of us the mood kill. Maybe we should play with it disabled for a little while and see what it's like?

OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings.

-Dead bodies, STOP GRABBING THEM AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM. First of all, you're all malnourished citizens, there's no way you'd be able to lift a body up off the ground and carry it. Second off, it's just plain stupid, dead or unconcious people don't get picked up and thrown around, think about how ridiculousness that would be in real life.

Grandma faints
Grand child 1 picks up grandma by back, slamming her around as he walks her up the stairs, placing her down in a weird positon
Grand child 2 jump crouches over the grandma, picking her up again and setting her down only to be annoying

Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin

Retarded.

For a roleplaying world to come alive, we need everyone's help and cooperation. Just stop being minges and trolls. When you see something different, be mature about it, look at it, gaze it, don't run up and steal it, or try to break it.

And truth be told, if you're under the age of 16, you shouldn't be playing HL2RP. You should be playing some other lesser game mode because without an established high school education, you can't have the maturity to appreciate this form of acting. That doesn't apply to EVERYONE, however, I'm sure most would agree that 18 year old and older are more serious than 14 and under...

Age dosnt have shit to do with RP-skill or anything. I was admin on hl2rp aswell when i was 14, got DvL  and was never banned. There are people 18+ that are bigger failures and dicks than people around 13. It comes down to the PERSON not the age. A 12yearold can be a better RPer than someone 18. Yeah it sounds unlikely but sometimes it does happen that a smart kid comes around

Sure, this was sort of a rant, but it's a rant that's been a long time coming, help the server get it's atmosphere back, and do your part. It only takes one idiot to fuck up the entire game for everyone.

My answers arei n red bold.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Immersion's definition:

noun

state of being immersed.

Citizen stares

Not really sure what this means, if that is /me'd all of it, well then take it ICly, yeah theyre supposed to fearRP but fearrp can result in just standing still doing nothing (kinda like paralyse)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If someone asks for (L)OOC silence during RP, people should comply to that. Its up to the people involves/around if they want to chat meanwhile or not. If someone keeps talking looc while rp even after silence was asked, tell an admin

OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings.

Grandma faints

Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin

Retarded.

Age dosnt have shit to do with RP-skill or anything. I was admin on hl2rp aswell when i was 14, got DvL  and was never banned. There are people 18+ that are bigger failures and dicks than people around 13. It comes down to the PERSON not the age. A 12yearold can be a better RPer than someone 18. Yeah it sounds unlikely but sometimes it does happen that a smart kid comes around

Ah, Mr. I Disapprove Everything (No matter what it is.)

You're being too critical, you know exactly what I'm talking about. "That doesn't apply to EVERYONE" << The exact reason I put that there, So i didn't get some butt hurt comment about how "I'M THIRTEEN I CAN ADMUND"

For the no fear RP reason, you said "
"

Yes, they ARE SUPPOSED TO. But they don't, the entire reason of me putting this here. And given several fair warnings to move away doesn't set off a paralyzed response in the brain. Now if the combine quickly turned around smacking the person, I can see it startling them to paralyzed state, but i'm takling in general, and you KNEW that.

To flinging around bodies you said "Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin
"

It's rare than an admin is on to take care of this all the time that this happens, i posted this to inform people so maybe they could read this and realize "Wow, picking up dead bodies is pretty fail rp."

To the OOC complaint section you said "OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings."

All I'm saying is, it should be cut down in local use, because it's hard to take the atmosphere seriously when people aren't using OOC to ask about rules or help, They're using it simply because it's there to bring idiocracy into the roleplaying world. I gave a very valid example.

Offline psycho

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
the expression is nooks and crannies
game over

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards

what are you talking about?

Offline Heavy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

He's talking about the title of your thread. The proper expression is 'nooks and crannies' not 'nicks and crannies'.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Immersion's definition:

noun

state of being immersed.

Citizen stares

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grandma faints

Retarded.

Ah, Mr. I Disapprove Everything (No matter what it is.)

You're being too critical, you know exactly what I'm talking about. "That doesn't apply to EVERYONE" << The exact reason I put that there, So i didn't get some butt hurt comment about how "I'M THIRTEEN I CAN ADMUND"

For the no fear RP reason, you said "
"

Yes, they ARE SUPPOSED TO. But they don't, the entire reason of me putting this here. And given several fair warnings to move away doesn't set off a paralyzed response in the brain. Now if the combine quickly turned around smacking the person, I can see it startling them to paralyzed state, but i'm takling in general, and you KNEW that.

To flinging around bodies you said "Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin
"

It's rare than an admin is on to take care of this all the time that this happens, i posted this to inform people so maybe they could read this and realize "Wow, picking up dead bodies is pretty fail rp."

To the OOC complaint section you said "OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings."

All I'm saying is, it should be cut down in local use, because it's hard to take the atmosphere seriously when people aren't using OOC to ask about rules or help, They're using it simply because it's there to bring idiocracy into the roleplaying world. I gave a very valid example.

So what do you suggest, since theres obviously no admins and OOC is supposed to be used for only server yet we shouldnt use it.

Should we make applications to join the server?

The one thing that can deal with all of this is ADMINS. Theres a reason theyre there.

Offline Lawdee -

• View Profile
    • Awards
Another thing I would like to see changed is how the CCA talks, most of the time they talk like humans which breaks the immmersion. If I were CCA I would think about the line I would say like an actual CP in HL2 would say it. If it doesn't sound right, edit the sentence so it does sound proffesional.
Joseph Jones/C45.CCA.UNIFORM-RCT.937

Angelica Jones

One not-so happy family.

Offline Dragon Dildo

• View Profile
    • Awards
Completely agreed with the LOOC part. It should only be used whenever something seems a bit hazy about the RP scenario.
HL2RP Characters
Jim Boyle - Obeying the Combine in City
Marcus Nicholson - Getting used to City
Heikki Savolainen - Relaxing in D6.
Cliff Westburgh - Hunting rats in D6.
Chandler Hetfield (Outlands) - Trying to find his bearings.
Joey Geller (Outlands) - Sitting in the clinic with his left leg broken.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Another thing I would like to see changed is how the CCA talks, most of the time they talk like humans which breaks the immmersion. If I were CCA I would think about the line I would say like an actual CP in HL2 would say it. If it doesn't sound right, edit the sentence so it does sound proffesional.
RCT->03 can still talk like 'humans' if they wish. If you look through the old HL2Beta soundifiles, youll notice the CCA do talk and joke around like they do here. Also:

From HL2
CP: You need a hand with this one?
Barny: Nah Im good.
CP: Ok.
Barney: Im gonna need me some privacy.

Barney probably doesnt get in shit for saying that as he probably talks like that on a daily basis. So really, CPs can trucker talk if they really want. Its up to HC to evaluate their speaking habits.

Offline Lawdee -

• View Profile
    • Awards
RCT->03 can still talk like 'humans' if they wish. If you look through the old HL2Beta soundifiles, youll notice the CCA do talk and joke around like they do here. Also:

From HL2
CP: You need a hand with this one?
Barny: Nah Im good.
CP: Ok.
Barney: Im gonna need me some privacy.

Barney probably doesnt get in shit for saying that as he probably talks like that on a daily basis. So really, CPs can trucker talk if they really want. Its up to HC to evaluate their speaking habits.

Yeah, okay, they can semi-humanly talk to citizens like "Get on the wall!" or something but sometimes they just attach a "please" to the end of the sentence. That doesn't sound intimidating at all, does it. Also, that was the HL2 beta, none of that is canon, and as I said, they can talk humanly to other units if there are no citizens around IMO.

Completely agreed with the LOOC part. It should only be used whenever something seems a bit hazy about the RP scenario.

Yeah, sometimes people just chat around in LOOC so that ICly a group of people just stand still, which also majorly breaks the immersion.
Joseph Jones/C45.CCA.UNIFORM-RCT.937

Angelica Jones

One not-so happy family.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards

He's talking about the title of your thread. The proper expression is 'nooks and crannies' not 'nicks and crannies'.
  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal