Author Topic: English.  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
English.
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
Hello,
I am searching for an advice regarding my English skills.
When it comes to writing and listening, I'm fine and happy. However, when I encounter a speaking person, or when I even am expected to speak myself, there's a problem. I fail to pronounce most words properly and I am not capable of making a longer sentence 'on air'.
Not sure what to do. I could attend English courses, but those are oriented to general knowledge, and joining them just for the sake of speaking do I find pointless. I have asked my English teacher if he would conduct some sort of tutoring, as few my schoolmates were interested as well. He has been either busy or forget. I could learn it in the attempt-mistake way, but everyone would be butthurt like "lulz he cant even speak trololol". Not everyone, but most people definitely would.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: English.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
I'll happily tutor you on the proper English pronunciation and wide vocabulary of words that can be used on a day to day basis.

Other than that, just listen to some English videos and listen to how they pronounce words and carry on sentences, and maybe repeat after them.

Not this guy though:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1vXovXn-M" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1vXovXn-M</a>

Offline =[pG]=??¢ Griever

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
Is English your native language? If so, google language tools is quite well adapt at pronouncing most English words. If your finding it hard to pronounce a word, stick it in there, and have a listen.

Offline Krisrules

• notice me senpai~~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
I'd say type up a speech on the PC the read it out loud to family or something, or you could skype a friend, or even one of the many English speaking people in this community to help out

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
It's all practice really, they say 10 000 hours is the magical moment of becoming better then the rest or the average.
I can pretty much assume this has happened to me because ever since I was young I watched movies, played games (runescape lololol) and those movies for example always had subtitles, unconsciously you'll translate and eventually you'll know the simple words.
I myself never, ever have learned English or anything related at school. (sometimes you'll get little bits of grammar aid but I barely learn anything else) I already knew English, though I'm a Dutch person.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Go watch some Dora, lol.

So, best thing I suggest you to do is listen to some songs you like and sing along with them.
I suppose that would work, or at least give it a shot.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:11:09 AM by Martiner (x3) »

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
Thank you all for your input, let's see what I can do  8)  :-*  :-*  :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal