Author Topic: Yes another PC build post...  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Officialjake

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Yes another PC build post...
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:50:46 AM »
I am looking to build a PC so I can actually play the new games like BF4 and arma 3 instead of being limited to inde and source games on my laptop which is a POS for gaming.  Also then I can quit being a console peasant and join the PC Master Race.  So how do these two builds from /r/PCMasterRace sound?  Which one should I do or what changes do you recommend?

The "Value build" it is the recommended build:

Last Updated on October 25th, 2013 - Upgraded motherboard

The following build is a sleek black powerbox that will reduce even the dirtiest of peasants to tears. The CPU and GPU are both powerful enough to comfortably run any modern title on High. It may be smart to replace it with an 8320 or 8350 if you feel you will need the boost. Edit: Added 7950 instead. Yay!

CPU    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard    ASRock 970 PRO3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory    Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card

Power Supply    Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Case    Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window

Then the "next gen crusher" which is cheaper than the value but less powerful.

Last Updated on October 21st, 2013

This build will be sufficient for any fresh convert who is looking to outperform the "next-gen" consoles like the PS4 and XBO. For the most bang-for-buck, I'd recommend you look at the value build. The value build will probably be about 25-30% faster in 1080p games on average. This one will be roughly the same or slightly better when compared to a PS4 or XBO when run at 1080p. EDIT: Swapped the 7790 with a 7850 for... like $5 more. It's gonna destroy any next-gen now. Absolutely destroy.

CPU    AMD Athlon II X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard    MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard

Memory    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Storage    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card    XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card

Case    Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply    EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Here is the URL for all the builds: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/1no3e5/the_peasants_jerkfree_guide_to_converting_to_the/ccmxvet
Half Life 2 RP Characters

-David Collins | Citizen Healthcare Provider | Alive
-Hanz Schnider | Citizen | Alive
-C45.MPF.NOVA-04.634 | Alive
-Dan Shepard | Citizen | Alive

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Yes another PC build post...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
I was going to say pros and cons of each item on each build, but I'll make it easier:

Value Build: It's a pretty good build. My issues with it are the CPU, as I would always choose a CPU (and ram for that matter) with a number of cores/memory that keeps to the proper binary system (1, 2, 4, 8, 16). For this I'd go with the CPU from the Crusher build instead.

My only other concern with it (neither a pro nor a con) is that I've never heard anything about ASRock as a MB manufacturer. To me this is more a detractant as I work with a lot of people who have their own builds and none of them use ASRock.

Crusher Build: Also a good build. My issue with this build is the hard drive. I do not like Seagate as a HDD maker. I've never had a good Seagate drive (the ones I've had have all died within months.) I'd take the drive from the value build over that.

My only other issue is with the RAM module. I personally prefer having 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB as it provides redundancy in case one of the memory modules is bad.

Overall assessment: If you don't care to have the greatest graphics (I'm still running a 6950) then I'd go with the Crusher build with the WD drive. Otherwise I'd go the value build with the quad core from crusher. Either way I'd say to use 2x4gb RAM but that's just me.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
The "Value Build" is the good option, as said from the reddit post:

Change the CPU from FX 6300 to a 8350. The 6300 isn't much better than the Phenom series chips, I previously had a Phenom and an 6300.

No noticeable difference except the price. The 8350 is still the best AMD cpu on the bang for buck scale, great for threaded applications and also great for gaming due to the sheer GHZ (4GHZ per core [Take into consideration that there is really only 4 cores and AMD lie about it having 8, it's 4 Cores, 4 Threads giving a logical number of 8 cores])

As for that PSU, get atleast a 750w. it's running dangerously close with a 8350 and that GPU. you want to have your PSU running at a maximum of 80% constantly. Also make sure it's a "Real" 750w and not a cheap shitass PSU which has a rating of 750w.

I suggest getting a PSU from OCZ, prefferably a 80Plus Gold rating.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
8 core FX cpu is 8 thread 4 cores but it is still a really nice CPU, i have the 8150

change your GPU from XFX to MSI for the 7850, XFX is a piece of shit compared to MSI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal