Author Topic: How to get started in LUA?  (Read 4237 times)

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to get started in LUA?
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
So this summer I want to start learning LUA and possibly make a simple deathmatch gamemode or a edit of DarkRP or something not to hard. I want to know how other developers first went abouts learning LUA. This would be my first programming language so keep that in mind.

Re: How to get started in LUA?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
Take LUA classes, try wiki, but LUA classes is a must.

Offline Jeff2307

•    
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:03:32 PM »
And where can you get these classes?

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Getting_Started_With_Lua

That should be it :3

And this is basicly where all the infomation is: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Main_Page
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
But it's too basic, you can't do shit with the wiki imo.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
The wiki will help quite a bit, once you've gone over those tutorials a few times I'd try going through a few different gamemodes to see how they do certain things.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
http://www.lua.org/pil

That's a great resource, and helped me out quite a bit. You can also buy, or download..., the second edition. I downloaded a copy and it's great.

The wiki is a great tool for GLua functions, hooks, and other stuff that only GLua uses. You can also look around in other people's work like gamemodes, addons, or just small code snippets.

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
The wiki will help quite a bit, once you've gone over those tutorials a few times I'd try going through a few different gamemodes to see how they do certain things.
I'll probally go through PERP and DarkRP n shit. I really want to figure out how people make sexy huds.

http://www.lua.org/pil

That's a great resource, and helped me out quite a bit. You can also buy, or download..., the second edition. I downloaded a copy and it's great.

The wiki is a great tool for GLua functions, hooks, and other stuff that only GLua uses. You can also look around in other people's work like gamemodes, addons, or just small code snippets.
I'm a cheap jew. Is it possible you can send me a copy of the book?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:02:54 AM by Bobby »

Offline Canadian

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Hey its great that you want to start lua!

If i was you i would start off with an easy game mode like Darkrp and work up from there
because PERP is a very unstable game mode and is very hard to set up without having problems.

Like i said DarkRP works out of its self so you could use Darkrp then just screw around and see how things work
and try to creat your own cool stuff in the game mode.
You can view the progress of CGRP on our Trello HERE

Offline Meatwad

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Lua is incredibly easy to learn, but I must admit there's a few very complex lua codes out there.

Offline JoshB

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
Lua is pretty easy to learn. I am not a major lua coder and I coded a basic create a class gamemode. I posted it on facepunch and it didn't have a sexy HUD so I was hated on mercilessly.
And classes, the lua book and PIL are all okay. I only used the wiki, though. Personally I think it is easier to have someone explain things to you.
[CG-SA]Toy4x4funrun: When guns are involved RP = basicly void
lolwut?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal