Author Topic: Lack of danger & hostility  (Read 9613 times)

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Lack of danger & hostility
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:15:02 AM »
I'm kindv'e sad that there's not more shit to deal with on outlands like a relentless bandit group moving thru ineu pass or  some other shit, I think the administration should ask trusted people to create characters to purposely create the dangerous outlands the outlands should be. When anyone played HL2 did they notice much peace in the outlands? Outlands need's more danger, simple.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lack of danger & hostility
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
Forcing things onto players is bad, let IC events happen, if they don't they they're not happening, simple.

Your argument of "play hl2 did you notice danger" is silly, the only thing in Episode 2 is rebels and OTA/synths, no bandit groups

Offline turhral=S=C=

• FAHKING
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:49 AM »
Yeah... I disagree with you. Yes, in the HL2 series there WAS a lot of danger outside of City 17, but I think it is mostly because they figured that Gordon Freeman was awake. Plus, it was in the later years of the canon, means probably something happened between these 2 and a half years from our current canon time.
We shall bring HL2RP back.
We must.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »
i'd imagine if there was a bandit group every merry ho white knight in the town would unite and kill them and take their gear

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:04 AM »
I guess this is more of an encouragement for players to create evil characters and create some balance to the ussual "white knight" characters.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:33 AM »
We don't need "evil" characters so much as we need nuanced characters where it's hard for other people to tell whether they're good or bad

Characters who straddle that grey area between white knight and evil serial killer rapist bandit thug

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as guilty as the next person of not doing anything about this situation, but I'll think of a way to address it, hopefully with a few friends.
o7

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
The problem with hostile characters is (at least in my opinion) is that people lack a lot on fearrp. No offense to those who does, but I'm seeing more and more characters charging towards hostile zombies, headcrabs and what not.

Now, if you make hostile NPC's people bitch about ammo and typically want it back after the battle.
Secondly, hostile characters. There is no way people fear rp even though a dead, horrifying body with torn open stomaches. And then as stated, they charge in. This also counts towards OTA. People lack on fear.

I've got a zombie character. I've been in fights several times but not even once have I seen one p2l or even fear rp. Once I had an entire group following me. Like Wtf?

So instead of complaining about hostility, I did rather take a look at fear rp and the main OL playerbase.

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
I hope I'll not be killed when I say that OTA are going to be a bit more hostile and dangerous than they've been before. They didn't really affect the Outlands population before Clockwork except weekly patrols and a raid now and then - this is subject of a soon change.
You can say OTA's aren't bandits but eh that depends on point of view.

pls dont kill me i hope its not secret

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
It seems like everyone is voting to get rid of passive RP in favor of more hostility and conflict, which isn't really what Outlands should be about

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
It seems like everyone is voting to get rid of passive RP in favor of more hostility and conflict, which isn't really what Outlands should be about

No? Passive RP can exist just fine with conflict, and in fact I'd say it gets quite dull without it. Conflict leads to a lot of good passive situations that wouldn't be initiated otherwise. Talking your way out of a mugging, evacuating a campsite in the path of a known combine patrol, stalking the white knight who mouthed off to your gang... I could go on and on.

I'm guessing you're thinking of hostility that downright disrupts RP, like Overwatch going door to door raiding houses and executing people, or antlion NPCs that fly around and autoattack everything in sight. I agree, that sort of conflict is detrimental, but luckily I don't believe that's what's desired in this thread.
o7

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
I'm guessing you're thinking of hostility that downright disrupts RP, like Overwatch going door to door raiding houses and executing people, or antlion NPCs that fly around and autoattack everything in sight. I agree, that sort of conflict is detrimental, but luckily I don't believe that's what's desired in this thread.

This is all I've seen recently, passive RP broken up by completely random OTA attacks or random antlions walking into the middle of Belles, and it seems like people are trying to push more of that, rather than less - I get that certain types of conflict provide passive RP but a lot of what I see on the server takes it all away

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

This is all I've seen recently, passive RP broken up by completely random OTA attacks or random antlions walking into the middle of Belles, and it seems like people are trying to push more of that, rather than less - I get that certain types of conflict provide passive RP but a lot of what I see on the server takes it all away
I'm personally for more OTA/player conflicts.
But honestly, OTA are there to unite everyone and force them in to groups under fear that if they're alone they'll get killed by either OTA, Or fellow players.
However, (Referencing the raid that ended up with us in the bunker) there were three OTA and three-four Armed Anti-citizens(Me, Shadow, Beans) and none of us could really do anything besides throw grenades and hope for the best because I'll down right say it. Every admin was going "Guys fear RP, Guys remember to injury RP, ect" and at least I was afraid to do anything due to the admins basically watching our every move ready to correct any lack of fear/injury RP basically giving the perception that if we did /ANYTHING/ we'd get banned/warned for fail fear RP, when in reality... There was a hell of a lot more that I could/wanted to do but at least I was too OOCly afraid to do anything.

So trying to force people to fear RP doesn't work when its coming form the admins themselves instead of ICly coming from OTA.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure Overwatch aren't supposed to raid unless they're attacked themselves. I always thought the main purpose of Overwatch was to instill a sense of caution and fear of the open by patrolling roads and stuff. Raids are fun as hell, I have to admit. When I was the Overwatch leader way back when Outlands first released, we raided way too much and broke up all sorts of roleplay. That shouldn't happen here, Overwatch should be online to maintain a presence and enhance the mood on the server, not to frustrate players or ruin their experiences.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:26:47 AM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
So trying to force people to fear RP doesn't work when its coming form the admins themselves instead of ICly coming from OTA.

It's hard to try and force people to fear RP ICly when they start shooting at the OTA rather than hide. I've fired a total of three shots in my raids, my units have fired none. All this resulted in was us taking fire, when we didn't touch anyone except those who blatantly went up to us to look for us. This is why I'm curious as to why many players on outlands constantly think the OTA raid completely unprovoked? The people in town shoot at scanners or anything Combine related the instant it is visible, then expect nothing to happen afterwards. That's not how it works.

If you people don't want passive roleplay to be broken up by a raid, you should probably consider telling people NOT to fire at Combine assets when they're there - it's a really bad idea. The raid with the bunker was a massive clusterfuck and bad in general, something I will admit, but my point still stands. If you wan't to be left alone, let things such as scanners simply do their job instead of provoking a conflict by firing at it. (I believe it was a vortigaunt that did it?)

I'm pretty sure Overwatch aren't supposed to raid unless they're attacked themselves. I always thought the main purpose of Overwatch was to instill a sense of caution and fear of the open by patrolling roads and stuff. Raids are fun as hell, I have to admit. When I was the Overwatch leader way back when Outlands first released, we raided way too much and broke up all sorts of roleplay. That shouldn't happen here, Overwatch should be online to maintain a presence and enhance the mood on the server, not to frustrate players or ruin their experiences.

That's the problem, they are usually engaged fairly quickly and no one think of the consequences. They then subsequently whine about being shot at, when most of the shots I have seen coming from Overwatch has just been for pushing people away? A lot of the times when they check the town they're looking for specific targets, not trying to stir a massive shit with the players; but the players are often making that an extremely hard objective.

I hope I'll not be killed when I say that OTA are going to be a bit more hostile and dangerous than they've been before. They didn't really affect the Outlands population before Clockwork except weekly patrols and a raid now and then - this is subject of a soon change.
You can say OTA's aren't bandits but eh that depends on point of view.

pls dont kill me i hope its not secret

This is also true - while not as much 'hostile' as more present. In the past they usually just appeared when some OTA players got bored or some shit was going down. Some players have already seen what we've been doing, for example with the airboat and the little scare yesterday (you're welcome). I think I made 4 people flee the valley on my Overwatch just by saying a few words.

In the end, most Overwatch attacks aren't unprovoked like many believe they are. If you want danger and hostility you should probably start by telling people not to act like badasses (I'm not saying a majority does this, but I have seen it happen, however I don't remember the characters).

Sorry if this is hard to read, I just woke up

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
I never said they're unprovoked, I mearly stated that we were forced in to a corner and basically told that we can't defend our selves due to fear RP.

Truth be told there is a lack of fear RP on outlands, but if everyone acted in fear like some people want we might as well move to city because there'd be NO difference in role play.

I agree with OTA being more hostile, but there are times where it's unneeded and disrupts RP(The bunker raid thing was started by a Vortigaunt shooting a scanner while everyone was passive RPing and such).
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal