Author Topic: Half-Life Thoughts  (Read 3829 times)

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
Half-Life Thoughts
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
Hey everybody, I was thinking about the Half-life series and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on some things:

Since the Combine were aware of Xen and Nihilanth, and that the Combine would likely have invaded (atleast to the Xen to get rid of Nihilanth) regardless of what Gordon did. Than do you think that had Gordon not killed countless special ops forces, and alien forces that the Combine could've been repelled?
The Combine would presumably have to defeat the inhabitants of Xen first and then, later, travel to Earth. If this was the case, I am sure that the hundreds of Spec-ops, assassins, helicopters, and tanks would've been put to good use defending earth. Also, the hundreds (thousands?) of Xen forces on earth and Xen would probably fight back against the Combine. So isn't it really all Gordon's fault?

Also, isn't it possible that the Combine would have defeated the inhabitants of Xen, and therefore closed the rift themselves? This would effectively remove humans from the story.

Anyway, short version is, is Freeman hadn't killed a ton of both alien and human soldiers would the Combine (assuming they would've invaded anyway) have been repelled or slowed?

Also, in the end of Half-Life, Nihilanth talks to Freeman. Couldn't they have reached an agreement in order to he fight the Combine, who were already and enemy of the inhabitants of Xen?

I feel like everything is Gordon's fault now....

What do you think?

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Half-Life Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
Gordon doesn't control his actions, he works for "the highest bidder" as far as I'm aware, he's being used to start all of this on purpose ;)

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
blame gman

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
blame gman

The problem with that is that it seems like G-man is also just working for the highest bidder...

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
G-Man is an interdimensional bureaucrat who has an unknown agenda.  He saw the desperate vortigaunts hiding in Xen to escape the Combine, noticed that Black Mesa was working on Interdimensial portal technology, and saw an opportunity.  He instructed Breen, who he somehow had in his pocket, to instruct the scientists to conduct an experiment at dangerous levels.  Then, he sent Gordon Freeman into the chamber to act as the fall guy as well as providing a test to see if he was worth recruiting.

In short, the entire resonance cascade was part of the Gman's plan, and there was very little that could have been done to stop him.

Offline Milky McNipple

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »
But, his motives are never explained...

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »
On a somewhat related note, what do you guys think of the theory that The Combine truly believe they are helping and saving humanity?

Maybe The Combine are only trying to protect us from G-man and his cohorts.

Offline Milky McNipple

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:55:06 AM »
I think not, remember they way they treat humanity? And, their blunt actions would be supported by a blunt personality. A blunt personality would tell us why we're being treated the way we're being treated. If that made sense. :3

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »
I think not, remember they way they treat humanity? And, their blunt actions would be supported by a blunt personality. A blunt personality would tell us why we're being treated the way we're being treated. If that made sense. :3

They may treat us poorly but they don't kill all of us.
Why would they waste the resources (which they are trying to gather and save) to keep us alive then? If they took us over in 7 hours they could've easily killed off the species.

Offline Milky McNipple

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »
Because they're using humanity as slaves, both labour wise and military wise.

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:01:48 AM »
Because they're using humanity as slaves, both labour wise and military wise.

Fair enough, it seems you have bested me. But I still suspect that it's possible they are really trying to protect us, just in a way we don't understand.

Offline Milky McNipple

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 02:04:08 AM »
I never bested you, this isn't an argument, just a discussion, sorry if I came off strongly :3

You could be right, I mean, they do seem awfully concerned with keeping us around, even if they do so in a terrible, un humane way.

I guess we'll find out in Half Life 3. xD

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:47:48 AM »
Frankly, the motives for keeping humanity alive were very unclear.  Saying that the Combine use humanity as slaves and soldiers makes sense until you wonder why the Combine haven't made every human a slave and a soldier.  And what if the Combine do care about humanity?  Oh please, the only reason humans are still alive is because they allow it.  My opinion is that it is our good friend the Gman again manipulating events so that his agenda can be fulfilled.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal