Author Topic: For everybody buying 8 core CPUs for gaming  (Read 2898 times)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
For everybody buying 8 core CPUs for gaming
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:43:18 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A</a>

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease watch this video, it explains about CPU cores in regards to gaming, and it's just good to watch for all you sillys buying shit like 8 cores for PURE gaming...

If you can't watch the video, tl;dr 1 core is bad, 2 cores will give only MARGINAL FPS difference (1-12~) compared to quad cores!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:46:23 AM by smt »

Offline Alex

• AKA RoflWaffle
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: For everybody buying 8 core CPUs for gaming
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
This just shows that putting more money into a computer for gaming doesn't make it any better than people building budget computers. Well done for posting this Smit.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Of all the things to spend money on for a gaming rig, here's a nice little list I made for my friend when he wanted to build his gaming rig.

Listed in priority of quality highest to lowest:

1. Graphics Card (it does all the shaders, particles, reflections, bumps, yadda yadda)
2. Hard Drive (it stores your games and information. Don't cheap out cause a hard drive WILL die)
3. Processor (it figures out where people, characters, and objects are in the game, as games advance, this really doesnt change much)
4. Motherboard (If you`re a real gamer, you`ll want a lot of USB ports and some 3.0)
5. RAM (Never used for gaming. Unless you`re a dev, dont worry about this. 4gb is PLENTY for a 64 bit system)

The graphics card is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of a gaming rig.

The one reason i got an 8 core AMD FX-8150 is because I`m a dev and I like making shit faster (ie. not waiting for my computer to think)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
I'd say listing RAM as last isn't fair, especially saying it's not used in gaming - it's probably 3rd important, equal with hard drive IMO - everything that is needed every now and then and not all the time is loaded and stored in RAM while the game is running, capacity isn't important but making sure the speed is decent is fairly important

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
Motherboard does more than just provide you with usb ports, It's the brain of the computer.  Without one you would not be able to boot up because it controls everything. You don't really need a top of the range one but the more you pay the better you get, normally if you pay a good amount you get decent features on your BIOS but with most Asus ones they are generally the same but some quality asus ones have great thermal management.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
I'd say listing RAM as last isn't fair, especially saying it's not used in gaming - it's probably 3rd important, equal with hard drive IMO - everything that is needed every now and then and not all the time is loaded and stored in RAM while the game is running, capacity isn't important but making sure the speed is decent is fairly important
I upgraded from 4gb to 8gb so I could run more programs and such. No gaming performance increased though.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
A modern game will only use 1-2 gigs are most, like I said capacity isn't important for pure gaming currently but RAM is used to store temporary files which I'm sure you know, it's still used in gaming...

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
I upgraded from 4gb to 8gb so I could run more programs and such. No gaming performance increased though.

Upgraded from 2gb to 8gb, Major difference. :)

Offline Benler

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Still stuck with a 2.2ghz AMD Athlon 64. Single core. :( Feels bad, man.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal