Author Topic: Help on a car repair  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Help on a car repair
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
Last night I got in an accident were my friend rear ended a car, and the back of the persons car was dented and no windows broken. Now this was an old car but since i think it's better to repair, i chose to try and repair it. However the Hood, front bumper, and the entire front was broken, the lights didn't break but 1 got popped out, and the airbags didn't pop out. The Radiator along with the antifreeze got fucked and it was leaking. Apparently they say the car is totaled but can still be fixed. I was wondering if it's better to fix the car and if its worth it, or its better to buy another used car. The body shops cannot replace some of the things on the car like the bumper and hood, but i have a friends dad who is willing to repair for cheap. What would be the actual cost of a local body shop?

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Help on a car repair
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
The car may appear fine on the surface par a few dents and scrapes but if it's an old car I would find out how much replacements would cost you.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
The car may appear fine on the surface par a few dents and scrapes but if it's an old car I would find out how much replacements would cost you.
Well it was bought in 2002, so it might not be that old.

EDIT: It was the Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2001.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:11:20 PM by Rory Phelps »

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Its Japanese. I bet spares will be readily available, It's really up to them if they want to take the time and effort trying to make that car rigid again because it could have damaged any part of the structural workings of the car. If it will cost you as much as getting one in working order then it's pointless imo.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
I was a 15-20 mph impact on the back of a car, so the impact wasn't THAT much.

Offline Smoke-Me-A-Kipper

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
Check around the engine bay, mainly the 2  box sections connected to your impact bar for signs of them not being straight anymore. If its done your radiator, its most definitely done your impact bar which in turn may have misaligned these sections. If all looks fine and you can get parts reasonably cheap and body panels in colour(getting them sprayed will be costly) it shouldn't be too hard to repair.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:27:52 PM by Smoke-Me-A-Kipper »

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Well, the car was decided by my mom to be totaled, so i guess heres another question for the thread...

Which car is good for teenagers/new drivers, and can be cheap at car dealers?

Offline OwenCobs

• #1 Muslim
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:44 AM »
No Idea in america. In England insurance costs a bomb so anything over a 1.2l would be physically unfeasible but in america you can drive whatever you want :) Just get something that has spare parts readily available at low prices because I would expect a few knocks and grinds on your first car :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal