Author Topic: hard drive.  (Read 2793 times)

Offline D3AD_S1L3NT

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
hard drive.
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
hi, i just bought a seagate freeagent goflex 1tb external hard drive and i wanted to put my steam folder in it. now i dragged it in and it started off at a merry 21 mb/s and after a couple seconds it started going down slowly and it ended up at 220 kb/s. now im no person who wants to wait a day or two to transfer 60 gb and i just wanted to know why its going so slow. also, right now i decided to format it and im formatting 931 gb to ntfs with a 64 kb allocation unit size and i was wondering why the status bar hasnt moved one bit in 15 minutes when there was nothing on the drive to begin with. please help.

oh and also i did a full format not a quick format so i was wondering if that was the right thing or the wrong thing to do.

thx

dead silent
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:02:55 PM by -GUN-CHRISTMAS_¤¤D3AD_S1L3NT »
Bananananannanananana

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:24:11 AM »
First of all,
>Seagate
Second, I have the same annoying bit with me. Harddrives transfer to eachother at a gloriously low speed, and ive been lazy on seeing whats up with that. I would like to know myself
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline D3AD_S1L3NT

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
And it gave me a bsod and screwed my steam
Bananananannanananana

Offline Super Supreme Admiral Justin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »
It's not recommended you boot your os from external drives. Especially not USB drives. As for steam you will need to reinstall it to the drive in order for it to work.
Graphic artist | Web Designer | Gamer

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
Not to mention because of steam cloud all your data (including saves) will be moved over automaticly. All you might need is addons, which you could do from a USB stick to save time or a portable harddrive if you have one.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
how did formatting an external drive bsod you? your not booting from it are you?

get this to move files http://www.teracopy.com/ if it doesnt help in anyway you have bought a shitty external drive

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
If you understood how data transfer worked, you would realize why transferring from two hard disks is a slow process.

If you want move the files for a game without re downloading them, you can simply create a NTFS Symbolic Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

You would just mirror the files to the external drive, then create links to that drive in your steam directory. This would make steam think all the files are there, while actually being somewhere else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal