Author Topic: The outdated system we still use today; Money.  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The outdated system we still use today; Money.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
As long as we hold value to scarce resources there will be some form of exchange for these resources whether it is currency or bartering.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »
I believe you have failed to see where I am getting at.

What you need to realise is that technology serves as an extension for human beings. A life improvement, instead of spending 10 hours on manufacturing a complex object, you can spend 1 hour, simply observing the machinery. That means it requires you to work less, so you can go home early and spend time with your family and friends.

But if you only watch the machinery for an hour, and the machinery breaks an hour after you leave, then you need somebody to fix the machinery and since there is no money, nobody wants to fix the machinery because they don't NEED too. Money = Motivation because if there was no money, people would just cook their own food and look after themselves, because why help other people if you don't need too. Then the people who can't look after themselves go into poverty and most likely die.

Also, where do we get the machinery from? The ingredients for the machine to make things? People won't sell them because they could just make the machine themselves, and use the product as a sort of bargaining chip for other things that they want, basically re-inventing currency.

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
As long as we hold value to scarce resources there will be some form of exchange for these resources whether it is currency or bartering.

Right, but why? Oil is a scarce resource, but they profit from it, and people use it which pollutes the environment.
What about rare materials that could be used in tools, *HIGH* quality components, or even simple things used in medicine.

But if you only watch the machinery for an hour, and the machinery breaks an hour after you leave, then you need somebody to fix the machinery and since there is no money, nobody wants to fix the machinery because they don't NEED too. Money = Motivation because if there was no money, people would just cook their own food and look after themselves, because why help other people if you don't need too. Then the people who can't look after themselves go into poverty and most likely die.

Also, where do we get the machinery from? The ingredients for the machine to make things? People won't sell them because they could just make the machine themselves, and use the product as a sort of bargaining chip for other things that they want, basically re-inventing currency.

The problem is that people underestimate the current abilities that we, as man, can accomplish and can do right now.

First, we have materials that heal itself, thus increasing the lifespan of any product for a very long time.

Second, our ability to build machines that are designed to last a long time is also possible, however due to it not being profitable (the machine manufacturer won't get repeated customers), and in return, the manufacturers would make it so that machines that are "designed to last" have a higher price tag.

Third, we have systems that can monitor the machines efficiency and predict how long components can last before they stop functioning, therefore the people who are responsible of repairing it would arrive at solving the problem, rather than spending hours assigning a skilled worker to fix it.

Fourth, machines can replicate themselves and can "Print" components out, and it is also possible for a machine to be self repairing.

If technology can solve the majority of our problems and if we can make an abundant of resources very quickly, and if we can create alternative materials, then there'd be no need to have money.

Also, don't say "Money = motivation" because it simply is not.
When humans were hunter-gatherers, did they print out money so they can reward people for labour? No, they shared resources.

Money is not a motivator, it in fact causes a reverse. If you look at open source programs, they don't demand that you pay them for the products, they give you a donation box so they can keep the server running and spend it on software tools to improve on it.
In fact, open source creates contribution. Wikipedia is the best example, people didn't demand that they get paid for creating/editing an article, they contributed, money played no factor of motivation.
Money is never a cure to laziness. Look at the benefits system, I found that people who relied on benefits for income were a lot more lazy than the working people.
People who volunteer to help in a charity (which normally means that they SPEND their money) to help people who are suffering without making a single dime from it, some even go as far as you paying your own money to fly to a country just to assist in building homes for poverty stricken areas.
I will also repeat again; People who do repetitive jobs (Oh don't forget jobs that require you sitting at a desk all day) are more likely to suffer lack of motivation, because they would be mentally exhausted to do anything outside of work.

Also, using my experience, I complete all of my assignment work in college and I dedicate my time in lesson helping 2 people throughout the entire lesson (maybe a day at college) just to help them and in return I just get a "Thanks" from the tutor and students, I didn't need money to motivate myself, I felt much better and had a lot more respect for myself just by being helpful rather than making money just to help someone.

That also leads me to a new conclusion; People can easily be taught about the true values of things in life, just by using simply observation and understanding.

I would recommend that you do some observation and also looking things at a bigger picture, you'll find that you will learn a lot.

EDIT (late one too): If this is what you call motivation, then I feel sorry for how you've been educated to just earn money rather than pursue what you want to achieve in life. This shows a clear side effect that schools teach you to just work in an industry, and nothing more, not to have a goal in life, or what you want to achieve, just to serve as a wage slave and nothing more.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:44:11 PM by Journeyman H. [UK] »
Clearly racist.

Offline Alduin

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

Right, but why? Oil is a scarce resource, but they profit from it, and people use it which pollutes the environment.
What about rare materials that could be used in tools, *HIGH* quality components, or even simple things used in medicine.

The problem is that people underestimate the current abilities that we, as man, can accomplish and can do right now.

First, we have materials that heal itself, thus increasing the lifespan of any product for a very long time.

Second, our ability to build machines that are designed to last a long time is also possible, however due to it not being profitable (the machine manufacturer won't get repeated customers), and in return, the manufacturers would make it so that machines that are "designed to last" have a higher price tag.

Third, we have systems that can monitor the machines efficiency and predict how long components can last before they stop functioning, therefore the people who are responsible of repairing it would arrive at solving the problem, rather than spending hours assigning a skilled worker to fix it.

Fourth, machines can replicate themselves and can "Print" components out, and it is also possible for a machine to be self repairing.

If technology can solve the majority of our problems and if we can make an abundant of resources very quickly, and if we can create alternative materials, then there'd be no need to have money.

Also, don't say "Money = motivation" because it simply is not.
When humans were hunter-gatherers, did they print out money so they can reward people for labour? No, they shared resources.

Money is not a motivator, it in fact causes a reverse. If you look at open source programs, they don't demand that you pay them for the products, they give you a donation box so they can keep the server running and spend it on software tools to improve on it.
In fact, open source creates contribution. Wikipedia is the best example, people didn't demand that they get paid for creating/editing an article, they contributed, money played no factor of motivation.
Money is never a cure to laziness. Look at the benefits system, I found that people who relied on benefits for income were a lot more lazy than the working people.
People who volunteer to help in a charity (which normally means that they SPEND their money) to help people who are suffering without making a single dime from it, some even go as far as you paying your own money to fly to a country just to assist in building homes for poverty stricken areas.
I will also repeat again; People who do repetitive jobs (Oh don't forget jobs that require you sitting at a desk all day) are more likely to suffer lack of motivation, because they would be mentally exhausted to do anything outside of work.

Also, using my experience, I complete all of my assignment work in college and I dedicate my time in lesson helping 2 people throughout the entire lesson (maybe a day at college) just to help them and in return I just get a "Thanks" from the tutor and students, I didn't need money to motivate myself, I felt much better and had a lot more respect for myself just by being helpful rather than making money just to help someone.

That also leads me to a new conclusion; People can easily be taught about the true values of things in life, just by using simply observation and understanding.

I would recommend that you do some observation and also looking things at a bigger picture, you'll find that you will learn a lot.

EDIT (late one too): If this is what you call motivation, then I feel sorry for how you've been educated to just earn money rather than pursue what you want to achieve in life. This shows a clear side effect that schools teach you to just work in an industry, and nothing more, not to have a goal in life, or what you want to achieve, just to serve as a wage slave and nothing more.

I agree with you on all of this, Journeyman.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal