Author Topic: Building a new computer  (Read 4226 times)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Building a new computer
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:19:54 AM »
Hello everyone. My computer is getting to outdated(for me) and I was wondering what suggestions you have as far as parts go. I'd like to be able to run ArmA 3 on very high with at least a solid 40-60 FPS.

Thanks.  :)
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Building a new computer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
Whats your budget?

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:03:48 AM »
Whats your budget?

Budget isn't to much of a problem at the moment, but keep it within reason.

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Do you need any peripherals(Monitor, keyboard, etc)? What about an Operating System?

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Do you need any peripherals(Monitor, keyboard, etc)? What about an Operating System?

Mouse and keyboard is all good. Windows 7 for the OS.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Series MAXIMUS VI HERO Intel Z87

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz

GPU(S): GeForce GTX 780 X2 - SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum - 4X8GB

Primary Boot SSD: SanDisk Extreme II - 480GB

Secondary Drive: Toshiba DT Series - 3TB

Disk Drive: Who uses disk drives?

Case: You choose.

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1250W PSU - Just for the sake of it.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Series MAXIMUS VI HERO Intel Z87

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz

GPU(S): GeForce GTX 780 X2 - SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum - 4X8GB

Primary Boot SSD: SanDisk Extreme II - 480GB

Secondary Drive: Toshiba DT Series - 3TB

Disk Drive: Who uses disk drives?

Case: You choose.

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1250W PSU - Just for the sake of it.

I'm having trouble finding the bolded/underlined parts. Would you happen to have a link to any of these? Thank you by the way.

Edit:

Click to see the original size. (It's a thumbnail, click it to enlarge or right click and do open image in new tab to see the entire pic)

This is what I'm thinking of getting. Any comments/suggestions until I put the order in? Thanks a ton to everyone that posted in the thread!  :)

ps special thanks to ozdongle
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:00:20 PM by Cow ??¦? ???°??? ???? ???°???¤ »

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
I've heard too many stories of OCZ being unreliable, so I suggest a Corsair or Seasonic for a PSU. Honestly, if all you're going to be doing is gaming then I would go with an i5-4560k. Modern games don't use hyperthreading which is the main difference between an i5 and an i7. Also I'd go with this GPU. For $20 more you get a good improvement in performance, and from a reputable brand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
Get an AMD card like a 7870 or a 7950 if you want to run arma 3 on very high at 60 fps instead of buying overpriced nvidia crap plus it'll save money and I can run it on very high just fine on a 7850

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »
I've heard too many stories of OCZ being unreliable, so I suggest a Corsair or Seasonic for a PSU. Honestly, if all you're going to be doing is gaming then I would go with an i5-4560k. Modern games don't use hyperthreading which is the main difference between an i5 and an i7. Also I'd go with this GPU. For $20 more you get a good improvement in performance, and from a reputable brand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

Other than that it looks pretty good.

I switched my PSU to a Corsair and saved the money, plus I didn't need the 1250w seeing how that's kinda overkill. I'll be sticking with the rest of my stuff though, if I need a new card I'd rather get a new one instead of an superclocked one. Thank you though, you saved me some money with the PSU you suggested!

Get an AMD card like a 7870 or a 7950 if you want to run arma 3 on very high at 60 fps instead of buying overpriced nvidia crap plus it'll save money and I can run it on very high just fine on a 7850

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm going to stick with Nvida, I was beep bopin' with some friends on steam just going over everything and I believe I should stick with what I currently got. Thank you though for the input, it really does mean a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal