Author Topic: Most Stupid War In History?  (Read 12256 times)

DukeW

Re: Most Stupid War In History?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
All of them are pretty bad :P

1. War Against Drugs
Started by Reagen and was a stupid idea from the start. You can't beat drugs, its not possible they will always be there and so will the drug dealers. Trying to tackle it only seems to make matters worse. Legalized drugs generally works better :P

Didn't Nixon declare the War on Drugs?

"June 1971: Nixon officially declares a "war on drugs," identifying drug abuse as "public enemy No. 1."
-NPR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrxpVUKUK0&feature=related

Video of Nixon commenting on the "War of Drugs"

Edited: Youtube link, "ed" on related was not attached to the rest of the word.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:13:07 AM by DukeW »

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:20:34 AM »
I think some of you are confused on the definition of "war":
Noun: A state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.

This means arguing about internet censorship is not a war, it's a legal decision.  Drugs are also not a war as it does not involve another nation or state, it's civil enforcement.

With that said, Vietnam was a depressingly bad move.
"A conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation"
Words are as much of a weapon as gun or sword, so the war on piracy, is indeed a war.
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
The Unforgotten and the Fallen Brotherhood.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
All of them are pretty bad :P

1. War Against Drugs
Started by Reagen and was a stupid idea from the start. You can't beat drugs, its not possible they will always be there and so will the drug dealers. Trying to tackle it only seems to make matters worse. Legalized drugs generally works better :P

Didn't Nixon declare the War on Drugs?

"June 1971: Nixon officially declares a "war on drugs," identifying drug abuse as "public enemy No. 1."
-NPR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrxpVUKUK0&feature=related

Video of Nixon commenting on the "War of Drugs"

Edited: Youtube link, "ed" on related was not attached to the rest of the word.

Oh yeah sorry I couldn't remember which one and I couldn't be asked to look it up at the time :P
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline Night Haunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I believe the Vietnam war was quite stupid, considering we invaded Cambodia near the end and just ended up aspie'ing it up and only going in 19 miles when Nixon delcared we wouldnt go any farther.

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
(History fag incoming, prepare for impact!)

I don't agree with WW2 being on the list.

World War Two started in part because Adolf Hitler wanted more land, dangerous desire in any case of history. He started with the Sudatenland as explained previous posts, and the League of Nations and the rest of the world was like "Meh, why not?"

Bad.

Since Hitler got the Sudatenland he started becoming more and more bold, using the quest for Labensraum (room to live, idk if thats the right spelling) as an excuse. the League of Nations started getting rather angry and a British diplomat went to Berlin to sign a document that would "Guarantee peace in our time." That piece of paper was worth less than the toilet paper I wipe my ass with.

Then comes the more conventional stuff, Hitler signs a suprising non-aggression pact with Russia, and they both went after poor wittle Poland with their cavalry, Hitler's excuse being a faux-attack on a radio station by German soldiers in Polish uniforms. It was now that France and Britain started getting pissed, and declared war on Germany in retaliation. Germany did not expect this and the French launched their only offensive of the war, which only gained five miles. Derp.

After germany finished with Poland, they turned their attention to France. They did not last long, and the commander of their army in the First World War ended up organizing France's surrender in the second. The ex-Kaiser of Germany that led it in WW1 died shortly after Paris was taken. Oh the irony.

All the while, Churchill was trying to convince America to send military support, and join into the conflict. Things stayed like this en europe until Germany declared war on the United States in support of japan two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Germany's biggest derp. If Japan had not attacked, which was the only thing they could have done given circumstances, Britain would have fallen which would leave Germany and Japan ready to attack the Russians and the US with everything they have.

TL;DR: Stupidity was involved, but that does not make it stupid. Germany was hyper-aggressive leading up to the war, and everybody knows the genocide that would eventually take place, had the Russian and Western armies never invaded all of Germany, a LOT more of Germany's "political prisoners" would die.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:59:00 AM by Riemer »
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
(History fag incoming, prepare for impact!)

I don't agree with WW2 being on the list.

World War Two started in part because Adolf Hitler wanted more land, dangerous desire in any case of history. He started with the Sudatenland as explained previous posts, and the League of Nations and the rest of the world was like "Meh, why not?"

Bad.

Since Hitler got the Sudatenland he started becoming more and more bold, using the quest for Labensraum (room to live, idk if thats the right spelling) as an excuse. the League of Nations started getting rather angry and a British diplomat went to Berlin to sign a document that would "Guarantee peace in our time." That piece of paper was worth less than the toilet paper I wipe my ass with.

Then comes the more conventional stuff, Hitler signs a suprising non-aggression pact with Russia, and they both went after poor wittle Poland with their cavalry, Hitler's excuse being a faux-attack on a radio station by German soldiers in Polish uniforms. It was now that France and Britain started getting pissed, and declared war on Germany in retaliation. Germany did not expect this and the French launched their only offensive of the war, which only gained five miles. Derp.

After germany finished with Poland, they turned their attention to France. They did not last long, and the commander of their army in the First World War ended up organizing France's surrender in the second. The ex-Kaiser of Germany that led it in WW1 died shortly after Paris was taken. Oh the irony.

All the while, Churchill was trying to convince America to send military support, and join into the conflict. Things stayed like this en europe until Germany declared war on the United States in support of japan two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Germany's biggest derp. If Japan had not attacked, which was the only thing they could have done given circumstances, Britain would have fallen which would leave Germany and Japan ready to attack the Russians and the US with everything they have.

TL;DR: Stupidity was involved, but that does not make it stupid. Germany was hyper-aggressive leading up to the war, and everybody knows the genocide that would eventually take place, had the Russian and Western armies never invaded all of Germany, a LOT more of Germany's "political prisoners" would die.
It's Lebensraum, hehe!
Also, Riemer I love you for posting this, this is the exact subject my class is discussing in History Class.
The Cold War, World War Two, Truman Doctrine, Berlin Blockade (Raisin Bombers)
Man these things, they're very tactic, however in fact they did not play tactic at all.

Click to see the original size.
Click to see the original size.
Above are two amazing pictures that show a rocket base in Cuba, dates are in the pictures. President Kennedy blocked the 'island' Cuba with a fleet and demanded that the rockets were to be removed. 'Cubancrisis'.

I forgot to mention I agree with Riemer, World War Two was definitely not a stupid war. I'm excluding the deaths that were made, they were stupid. However, this whole thing really is a good step in History. I am sure a lot of people have learned from it, not us regular people, but the higher bosses.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:34:50 AM by Martinerrr »

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
Also adding to what Riemar said the Americans probally would have gotten involved after a while but it could be argued that they waited for the reason that they wanted to weaken Russia. When you look at it England was still "untouched" by German soldiers whereas Russia was getting trampled on by the Nazis. It could be said that if say the Germans had of landed on British shores in 1940 then the Americans would have launched D-day much earlier. I do agree with your points though.

Also studying cold war and ww2 in history. Just getting too how Hitler became dictator after Hindenburg died. Already studied the cold war. Might add that the cold war was rather pointless :P

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
Also adding to what Riemar said the Americans probally would have gotten involved after a while but it could be argued that they waited for the reason that they wanted to weaken Russia. When you look at it England was still "untouched" by German soldiers whereas Russia was getting trampled on by the Nazis. It could be said that if say the Germans had of landed on British shores in 1940 then the Americans would have launched D-day much earlier. I do agree with your points though.

Actually, Germany has sent an attack to London. It was called 'The Blitz'.
"More than one million London houses were destroyed or damaged, and more than 40,000 civilians were killed, half of them in London"
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

Actually, Germany has sent an attack to London. It was called 'The Blitz'.
"More than one million London houses were destroyed or damaged, and more than 40,000 civilians were killed, half of them in London"
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz

Hehe I was quite aware but thats why I said "untouched" by German soldiers.
It wasn't actually being invaded the same way france was. If it had of been underattack like france was (which is what I said) then it may have been different. I respect your point none the less :3

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
You know, The Blitz was some stupid shit too.

It started after France fell, Britain sat there shitting themselves with an army they pulled from Dunkirk, their own oceans filled with U-Boats, only one machinegunner per mile of British coast, and only the RAF to defend against any major action.

So Germany and Hermann Georing's Luftwaffe got busy.

In order for any invasion to succeed, the Germans would have to have -total- air superiority, like the allies would have during D-Day in 1944, so the Luftwaffe launched their raids against every airfield in southern England they could find. Then comes a fateful day when a formation of He-111 bombers went off-course and bombed a major city, (wasn't London, forgot it's name) the brits get so pissed they launch a bombing raid on Berlin, and naturally Hitler doesn't want this shit to go unpunished. He orders the Luftwaffe to switch targets from the RAF to the major cities to "reduce morale".

In actuality the RAF was almost destroyed and switching targets allowed them to recover and come back, and they weren't happy.

Bitz ensues, and ends up in the loss of a -lot- of German planes, invasion does not come, fuckery ensues.

I'm such an awesome history teacher aren't I?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:08:03 PM by Riemer »
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal