Author Topic: Citizens listening to the CP radio frequency  (Read 13598 times)

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Citizens listening to the CP radio frequency
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:32 AM »
The only group that has the potential to do this is Third Eye, at the current moment.

It takes the challenge out of everything though :(

Does it really?
o7

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »
Does it really?

If I was to leave my radio plugged in to the CCA frequency whenever I got on my character, I'd end up doing one of the following:
a) Getting caught (in the case of listening in on a regular basis)
b) Listening to all the OOC drama

I don't either of those to happen.  :'(

It's a nice feature to take advantage of in extremely dire circumstances but otherwise if it gets abused it can just imbalance the whole experience.

Offline @Mmmaaattt94

• Britfag #1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
For concerns its OP. Sorry but its the combine who have huge amounts of resources. Basic encryption was ALWAYS there. Since my GRID unit has been playing he has done and overseen many projects that got it to this level. The radio in the helmet was a project. The triangulation and radio security protocols was a project. Ages ago, it was somewhat possible but IC breaches through lolrebels made us tighten up IC. It wasn't always like this but then IC events made it this way. Also, it is still possible to crack but you need:

- A large computer network much like the ones in Kleiners lab. The computers need a small satellite unit (Just a small one about the same size as an ammo crate, they can be made)in order to track signals. Finding the signal ISN'T the hard bit. However after that...
- You need someone who is auth'd with EXCELLENT computer skills, someone with a master degree in computer communications etc is suitable.  This person then needs to spend WEEKS decryption the signal. It is a VERY hard task but if done, the computer will stand as a static radio. This couldn't be easily transferred to a handheld radio because of the combine encryption. Also, you would have to be careful as this sort of setup would put out a small signal that could be traced in the time it takes for th task to be done meaning the setup needs constant moving.

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:20 AM »
Also, you would have to be careful as this sort of setup would put out a small signal that could be traced in the time it takes for th task to be done meaning the setup needs constant moving.

And that is why I don't like eavesdropping. :)

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
For concerns its OP. Sorry but its the combine who have huge amounts of resources. Basic encryption was ALWAYS there. Since my GRID unit has been playing he has done and overseen many projects that got it to this level. The radio in the helmet was a project. The triangulation and radio security protocols was a project. Ages ago, it was somewhat possible but IC breaches through lolrebels made us tighten up IC. It wasn't always like this but then IC events made it this way. Also, it is still possible to crack but you need:

- A large computer network much like the ones in Kleiners lab. The computers need a small satellite unit (Just a small one about the same size as an ammo crate, they can be made)in order to track signals. Finding the signal ISN'T the hard bit. However after that...
- You need someone who is auth'd with EXCELLENT computer skills, someone with a master degree in computer communications etc is suitable.  This person then needs to spend WEEKS decryption the signal. It is a VERY hard task but if done, the computer will stand as a static radio. This couldn't be easily transferred to a handheld radio because of the combine encryption. Also, you would have to be careful as this sort of setup would put out a small signal that could be traced in the time it takes for th task to be done meaning the setup needs constant moving.

actually any skiddie with a downloaded program can decrypt shit bro, you make it sound overly complicated and dumb - i use police standard radios almost weekly and we don't have a guy with a master degree in computer communications configuring the frequencies

Offline @Mmmaaattt94

• Britfag #1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

actually any skiddie with a downloaded program can decrypt shit bro, you make it sound overly complicated and dumb - i use police standard radios almost weekly and we don't have a guy with a master degree in computer communications configuring the frequencies

On an Ic side, The combine have much superior technology and i think that better, more complex encryption isnt a hard thing to do. Also, the guy with the degree is to MAKE such a program as you don;t just find a working computer with programs on it. You need to learn the NEW encryption in the radio AND make a program AND computer to decrypt it.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
On an Ic side, The combine have much superior technology and i think that better, more complex encryption isnt a hard thing to do. Also, the guy with the degree is to MAKE such a program as you don;t just find a working computer with programs on it. You need to learn the NEW encryption in the radio AND make a program AND computer to decrypt it.

we're talking radio frequencies, regardless of their superior technology there's not much more you can do with something like that.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »
Lets just keep it simple:
You can some up with any excuse of why citizens should not have the frequency, and you can have a million page discussion about this being valid or not.
But citizens simply should not have the frequency due to a fuckload of powergaming and unfair stupid advantage involving.
Excuses or valid reasons, it simply should not be allowed.

And that is just my two cents.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »
Lets just keep it simple:
You can some up with any excuse of why citizens should not have the frequency, and you can have a million page discussion about this being valid or not.
But citizens simply should not have the frequency due to a fuckload of powergaming and unfair stupid advantage involving.
Excuses or valid reasons, it simply should not be allowed.

And that is just my two cents.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
That's not fair, your cutting down potential RP because some people /might/ power game with it.
That's like convicting people of crimes based on the fact that they /MIGHT/ commit them.

Its really rather simple, you need to have a good reason(Your risking your life and the life of everyone around you) and the means to do it.
All of this can be sum'd up in a auth app/more then one auth app(Seeing how you'd need mixed skills to do this you can only do this with a group of people).
If anything this would create RP, but instead its getting shot down because it /MIGHT/ be abused.
I'm sick of good suggestions getting shot down because it /MIGHT/ be abused, it creates RP for both OTA/CCA and the Resistance.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »
It's not shot down, its extremely monitored and 99.999% of the time it is done wrong making it seem that it is always shot down.  As has been explained, it requires a LOT of skill to do so, especially with the resources available. It'd have to be done in the city cause the outlands themselves are too far and infrequent for radio use to be able to determine it.

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:40:59 AM »
Referring back to one of my previous posts, I think that monitoring the CCA radio should be reserved for major events through a prepared course of action rather than simply being able to switch your handheld set to the frequency at any time. I don't necessarily think it should be banned as such because there are ways to capture the position of the radio which accessed the frequency and Civil Protection/OTA can easily stop that character from incident from happening again.

When we did the network intrusion event I barely received any negative feedback apart from citizens staring at the wall (not really in my control though, that was the Civil Protection response and I was only ever guiding them via /event and IC radio chatter). It was an event that was planned for several weeks where the appropriate knowledge authorisations were acquired and then the equipment as well as the go ahead to do the event from Kronic. In moderation, something like this is fine but it can definitely become an issue when it's overdone to the point of a daily/weekly occurrence.

If an individual/group does have the appropriate authorization then any negative OOC consequences will be accountable to the admin team who can can always provide oversight if the defects are not being met.

Just my two cents.

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
why not just let citizens do what they want instead of limiting them with shit no one but admins will enforce by pulling it out of their ass? if the union has counter-measures, they can roleplay it (simply changing the frequency to a backup frequency, not that hard to have a list of backup frequencies in /viewobjectives, seriously)

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »
It's very easy for the units to write up a plan incase of a frequency breach anyway. I don't see what the issue is here, just let it act out as what would happen in a real situation.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
Besides, getting said frequency would be a mark of respect in of it's own right. (No meta pls) We should just let them do what they want in all honesty as there isn't too much a citizen could learn other than idle codes and requests.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
Besides, getting said frequency would be a mark of respect in of it's own right. (No meta pls) We should just let them do what they want in all honesty as there isn't too much a citizen could learn other than idle codes and requests.

Yeah, all they'd be hearing is OOC chatter and "Ice." "Ice." "Baby." most of the time. Even if they heard what we were doing it's not like Unit XXX is saying "Yeah, I'm over in this alley all alone and I dropped my weapons to the ground, does anybody want to come and give me a hug?"
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal