Author Topic: "Quest" Characters [IDEA]  (Read 5885 times)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "Quest" Characters [IDEA]
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
Because in order for me to use one of my regular characters, I would only be limited to a small number of quests, related to my character. I would also require authorizations for ALL the IC items I give away and have to ICly take those items with me. Maybe my character isn't one to get other people to do things in return for a reward. What if something ICly comes up relating to my characters group or duty?

Basically, if I just create a character who remains stationary at a certain location, I shouldn't have a problem. I can create multiple different characters who would give out different quests from different locations and give out different rewards.

That being said, yes I can do it on my own character, but it wouldn't be as practical as doing it on a quest character. Digg??

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »
Because in order for me to use one of my regular characters, I would only be limited to a small number of quests, related to my character.

That number is not necessarily small. Be fucking creative or something, think of things that your character needs or wants. Food items? A specific type of food maybe? Water? New canteens? A certain type of drug? Drug paraphernalia? Something unique to your character's traits? I thought for like two seconds and came up with that stuff, so think for a little longer and you'll still only be scratching the surface.

-Gather firewood
-Fetch water
-Transport goods
-Locate certain plants
-Clean a building
-Deliver a message

All of the example items you listed in the OP are pretty universally desired tasks.

I would also require authorizations for ALL the IC items I give away and have to ICly take those items with me.

Many of the examples you listed are fairly common in Outlands, you shouldn't need an authorization application to give away some of this stuff, like soup or nails or plates.

-Canned foods such as; soup, vegetables, meat, or juice
-IC Medical supplies such as; drugs, splints, slings, antiseptics, admission tools (cotton swabs, syringes)
-IC Items such as; notebooks, small musical instruments (harmonicas, ukuleles), tools (hammers, saws, nails), dishes (bowls, cutlery, plates)

For more rare/valuable items, maybe you would need to make an app. So what? If your "quest characters" are going to be giving out rare/valuable supplies, you probably ought to make an app for them too. I don't see what your aversion to making an app is. It's not like you're giving out weapons, for the most part these are IC "immersion" items. Simply explain the purpose of your item-giving auth, like you did in the OP, and your app will be accepted without a hitch.

Maybe my character isn't one to get other people to do things in return for a reward.

Well shit, if you're set on having such a hardline character I guess you'll have to make an alt if you want to improve roleplay in this particular area.

What if something ICly comes up relating to my characters group or duty?

Basically, if I just create a character who remains stationary at a certain location, I shouldn't have a problem.

Tough luck. If the situation permits, you and any interested parties should try and have some fun ICly sorting those issues out. You seem to be implying that your proposed "quest characters" would have some sort of immunity to IC events/happenings, which is bullshit in my opinion. In general, I think that characters should be intricately weaved into the environment, reacting to it and being affected by it. You seem to be proposing that "quest characters" should be some cutout MMORPG NPC who're always available to every player's beck and call, rain or shine. That's like taking a dump on immersion while simultaneously backstabbing character development.

I can create multiple different characters who would give out different quests from different locations and give out different rewards.

Maybe that would be okay, but firstly, it would encourage character whoring by admins, which already seems to be enough of a problem. Secondly, why don't you just put more thought into varying the quests and rewards from one or two normal characters? That would be a much better solution than losing track of a handful of pre-determined cardboard cutouts who will likely be seen a few times on the server before you tire of playing them and move on to your next NPC-esque quest vendor.

That being said, yes I can do it on my own character, but it wouldn't be as practical as doing it on a quest character.

If you mean "practical" as in sheer numerical statistics of "quests given per character per hour," then maybe. But grinding out quests at the expense of character development, immersion, de-significance of character creation, and overemphasis on items? That doesn't seem worth it in the least. Like I and others have been saying, just give tasks on normal characters. That's all. It's simpler and more roleplay-friendly.

Digg??

lol no??
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:17:15 AM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
The sheer point of quest characters is to give others who are not exactly fond of solo passive RP something to do when nothing else is going on. However you do raise a large number of points as to why I need to stick to old fashioned systems and how trying something new based on theory isn't going to work.

Well whatever. If you can get more people to back you up on why I shouldn't do this then I won't do it. Otherwise you're currently outnumbered.

Also, authorizations for small items might be coming into effect so people stop asspulling things. However these authorizations wont need an application, just in-game administrator approval.

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
Like I restated before, this idea is just plain stupid in my opinion.  There is no reason why this can't be done between normal characters, if you're really bored and want to do passiveRP, instead of waiting for someone to ask you to do something, ask around, "Hey, do you need me to do anything for you?"  I'm sure someone would have something to do.

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
Like I restated before, this idea is just plain stupid in my opinion.  There is no reason why this can't be done between normal characters, if you're really bored and want to do passiveRP, instead of waiting for someone to ask you to do something, ask around, "Hey, do you need me to do anything for you?"  I'm sure someone would have something to do.

Nope.avi. Everyone tries to make their char a stuck up hardass who can get shit done on their own. I've never had someone give me a legitimate task to do, and I always asked around.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Nope.avi. Everyone tries to make their char a stuck up hardass who can get shit done on their own. I've never had someone give me a legitimate task to do, and I always asked around.

then why don't you set an example

???????????????????????????????????????

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
Last time I checked players can talk to each other and give each other tasks for rewards without admin intervention.

I dont get the point of this thread.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
The sheer point of quest characters is to give others who are not exactly fond of solo passive RP something to do when nothing else is going on.

Like I've said before, specifically designated "quest karacterz" are not needed to give people passive RP. You can do that on any character. Don't pile on useless gameplay mechanics. That's just... bad.

However you do raise a large number of points as to why I need to stick to old fashioned systems and how trying something new based on theory isn't going to work.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I guess now's a good time to make this point as any: A new idea isn't necessarily a better one.

I'm not against new ideas, I'm against bad ones. And I see this as a bad idea, mostly. I mean, I'm glad that it's bringing the need for passive roleplay to the forefront of the Outlands community's awareness. On the other hand, I think the means for implementing it is... well, the word "roundabout" comes to mind.

Also, authorizations for small items might be coming into effect so people stop asspulling things. However these authorizations wont need an application, just in-game administrator approval.

Good, all the more reason why we don't need specially designated QuestGiver static characters, since "real" characters will be able to get in-game admin approval and supervision to contribute passive RP, assuming the situation calls for admin approval/supervision at all.

If you can get more people to back you up on why I shouldn't do this then I won't do it.

Just to be clear, don't think I'm opposed to the overall idea of increasing the amount of passive RP tasks and incentives offered to players. All I disagree with is the specific means of implementation you're suggesting, which is admin-played, static, disposable, MMORPG-esque quest dispensers. That's what I'm here to debate about.
o7

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
I won't be getting involved in this as OL isn't really my area but in my personal experience a task given from a player to a player is far more meaningful and rewarding than a static fetch-quest from a character designed to dispense fetch quests.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal