Author Topic: Airborne's Civilized Rant About The History of the CCA and Its Current Standing  (Read 10265 times)

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just an addition to yankees point : We used to try and push for it but it never worked, we need a campaign(propaganda style one) to get citizens to go to the CWU rather than the CCA for doing stuff.

Also, I remember when we used to have high command training and OfC's in training beared the rank of OfC(T) for the week they were trained, returning to original rank(01/EpU) on finish unless promoted by DvL. I think a look into HC training would be beneficial and would also sort out those less suited for high command.
what

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Section commanders should already have a decent idea of who's OOCly cut out to lead the division and who isn't.

In any case, trial periods of any sort are an inaccurate representation of a player's leadership potential. Any random d00d is going to be on his toes for the entire trial and do everything right - that's a given. Then once he gets the billet for real, he gets complacent or bored, dithers around, and becomes a problem.

More HC training might help a little, but you can only OOCly improve a player so much with Gmod. The best hl2rp leaders are going to already be leaders by virtue of their natural IRL personality. I don't think training courses in Gmod will affect hardcoded OOC character traits in any significant way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:20:34 AM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just an addition to yankees point : We used to try and push for it but it never worked, we need a campaign(propaganda style one) to get citizens to go to the CWU rather than the CCA for doing stuff.

Also, I remember when we used to have high command training and OfC's in training beared the rank of OfC(T) for the week they were trained, returning to original rank(01/EpU) on finish unless promoted by DvL. I think a look into HC training would be beneficial and would also sort out those less suited for high command.
not everyones cup of tea is being a citizen in uniform to sell items and do minimal tasks
You cant convince someone to go cwu over the opportunities in cca when the runner decides to pick his activity up at the last minite constantly

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Section commanders should already have a decent idea of who's OOCly cut out to lead the division and who isn't.

In any case, trial periods of any sort are an inaccurate representation of a player's leadership potential. Any random d00d is going to be on his toes for the entire trial and do everything right - that's a given. Then once he gets the billet for real, he gets complacent or bored, dithers around, and becomes a problem.

More HC training might help a little, but you can only OOCly improve a player so much with Gmod. The best hl2rp leaders are going to already be leaders by virtue of their natural IRL personality. I don't think training courses in Gmod will affect hardcoded OOC character traits in any significant way.

If HC would be chosen based on skill anyways then why not evaluate their command ability when they are at 01 level, when they should already be taking charge of small operations and doing some busywork for their respective OfCs? They would be at an 02-01 level for at least a few months before even being eligible training-wise, and their ability to command squads of 4 or 5 grunts effectively during in game scenarios such as P3 sweeps or community inspections would be the next best thing to knowing the candidate and their abilities personally. It should still be on the down low, as to keep them from knowing that they are being evaluated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:07:19 PM by Riemer »
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards

If HC would be chosen based on skill anyways then why not evaluate their command ability when they are at 01 level, when they should already be taking charge of small operations and doing some busywork for their respective OfCs? They would be at an 02-01 level for at least a few months before even being eligible training-wise, and their ability to command squads of 4 or 5 grunts effectively during in game scenarios such as P3 sweeps or community inspections would be the next best thing to knowing the candidate and their abilities personally. It should still be on the down low, as to keep them from knowing that they are being evaluated.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the type of approach I've always taken with my subordinates both in real life back when I was the XO of my old high school's ROTC unit, and on the server with the CCA. If the top leader does everything, how can those under them learn to the job of the top leader when they move on? Some things are best learned with hands on methods. I've always allowed my units to make their own important decisions at the 02+ rank. Even still, I mostly leave my hands off of both of my Officers and I just let them run their halves of Section 4. I keep an eye on who I think will be best suited to be my replacement when I move on from my current position, and I answer any questions they may have and I step in when I'm needed. But otherwise, I let my OfC's learn by doing, rather than always watching me do everything. I hope they both allow their 01's to do things without having to always ask for permission and have my Officers breathing down their necks constantly, but I can't really control that without micromanaging both halves of S4.

Basically, a "learn by doing" approach is always good. Its not such a bad thing to allow someone to have a bit of freedom to make their own leadership decisions, appropriate to their rank of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal