Author Topic: City Server Popularity Questionnaire  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
City Server Popularity Questionnaire
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
Code: [Select]
[i]What would you rather play on, the city or the outlands, and why?[/i]

[i]What do you do for fun on city?[/i]

[i]Is City_45 too hardware reliant for your current system? (too laggy)[/i]

[i]What would you like to see more of on city?[/i]

[i]What do you want to do on city?[/i]

[i]What is about city that makes you not want to join or play it?[/i]

[i]What can be done to help you enjoy the city?[/i]

[i]Extra comments.[/i]

[i]What type of events would you like to see and be involved in on the city? (do not give an answer like, "Ones that involve citizens.")[/i]

-Credits to Statua for the idea/format
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:30:20 PM by Airborne1st »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: City Server Popularity Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
What would you rather play on, the city or the outlands, and why?
Right now? Outlands, there's more freedom to roleplay a variety of characters and just a lot more stuff that can happen in Outlands outside of admin events.

What do you do for fun on city?
Usually do whatever needs doing on my unit, not much for me to do on my citizen outside of generic UCH roleplay.

Is City_45 too hardware reliant for your current system? (too laggy)
No but I dont like the map (c45 in general)

What would you like to see more of on city?
Events involving citizens more the CCA, more (regulated) freedom to roleplay - I know it's a contradiction~

What do you want to do on city?
Usually right now roleplay on my unit, doing unit things

What is about city that makes you not want to join or play it?
Apart from the fact it's always empty (so there's no one to roleplay with) there just isn't much to do

What can be done to help you enjoy the city?
Get organized times for people to join it to try and kick start the popularity, if the population problem is getting really dire then we need to switch to a more public map, also events and the like

Extra comments.
no

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Neither at the moment. City is too stale and has fallen into the same situation as many other communities who have just opened a server: no players, same story, nobody daring to do something different. Outlands, by my own experience, has been too exclusive to be involved myself in decent RP.

Third Eye stuff, surveillance/observation, conducting minor operations and planning for major tasks.

No.

A new or heavily revised story with something that sets us apart from the rest of the other HL2RP servers that position you as a citizen and say "you are being oppressed, deal with it". Whether the rebels form a strong enough resistance to take over the City or something (who fucking cares if its canon or not) like an event that lasts for a few weeks where the City gets bombarded, the server needs better events as opposed to "zombies can be heard in p3" or "exogen breach citizens get inside the UCH"

Participate in decent RP which I won't find a duplicate of on any other community.

Zero originality in overall story.

Better events and having players willing to join the server to populate it would be nice.

Extra comments. Simply saying "lets change to City 8" solves absolutely nothing - you still don't have the players to populate it.

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
Outlands, for more of the freedom and more closely-knit roleplay, if you catch my drift.

Try to find a pocket of citizens to blend into and start a conversation, and then let things roll on from there.

Nope

More events that encourage citizen RP, like maybe a city-wide sweep for the CCA that causes criminals with contraband/anti-citizens bunker down somewhere and passive until having to move to another secluded location. Or gathering up citizens and locking them in the UCH to deal with, I dunno, an airborne infection? Thats just an example, but basically events that get citizens to RP with each other.

Roleplay with people, to put it simply.

A server full of citizens and units and the plaza/UCH are totally empty, making finding others to RP with near impossible and really just ends up with me walking around aimlessly.

Other than the event idea listed above, maybe make P3 somewhat like D6 in our old rendition of C18, not saying to make it inaccesible and post a unit on it, but... I dunno, I just lost it.

Extra comments.
N/A
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:39:31 PM by Darkshifter98 »
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »
The city, but by very little either way.

RP on my unit, explore and participate with whatever may be going on at that time.

Only in the Plaza a bit.

Some originality, more players of course and the desire to actually get on and play.

Develop 495, play with other people and watch the city have some sense of progress as a whole.

Almost everything about it at this point. The player base, the stale environment, people's lack of originality and lack of desire to be original and the map. I'm sick of city 45; I hate to say it and I know Ozjackal has put tons of effort and time into it but I just don't enjoy the map/environment anymore.

Create some sort of CG canon that goes in depth, filling in nooks that we usually have to guess on, add new weapons  (handguns, a few rifles or shotguns maybe, blades & blunt weapons), vehicles (very few, like APCs and forklifts for CWU), items, etc and create new dangers. Other things I think of are an NPC/Machine that you can recycle shit at. IE: Drink a can of water or finish your suppliments, sell them for a handful of tokens or maybe find a car battery or some rags in the sewers via a timed drop maybe.

Extra comments.
I enjoy HL2RP in general. But right now, Catalyst Gaming's has absolutely nothing special about it. It just needs something to make it stand out because I look through the server list of City servers and see a few with a 20-30 player base on average per day at any reasonable time in the day. I miss that.

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
city because outlands is full of circlejerking whiteknighting faggots

hang around p3 and look for people who will actually roleplay

no it's not laggy at all

more cwu

have interested roleplay -- which is lacking on the city server at the moment

low activity and when there's 3-5 players on i can be certain that at least 2 of them are on cca circlejerking while the others are afk

more cwu and more ota/synth/scanner activity (or well more than i've ever seen) but in relationship w/ the amount of citizens on

Extra comments.
city is inactive as fuck

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
What would you rather play on, the city or the outlands, and why? I'd rather play on the outlands. Gameplay on city has always been more or less a big Combine circlejerk. Been there, done that.

What do you do for fun on city? Try to find a few good roleplayers to roleplay with, sometimes create characters that stir up trouble in fun/interesting ways

Is City_45 too hardware reliant for your current system? (too laggy) Only slightly in the plaza

What would you like to see more of on city? Deep gameplay centered around the citizen faction and not the CCA, a CWU that can think of stuff to do other than building CWU item stalls

What do you want to do on city? Develop an average-joe citizen in an environment that's fun and immersive

What is about city that makes you not want to join or play it? The disparity in effort put into citizen gameplay compared to the elaborate systems constantly maintained and updated for the CCA

What can be done to help you enjoy the city? Develop deep gameplay centered around the citizen faction, develop a competant CWU, continue with CCA downsizes, continue with fleshing out citizen interaction with Civil Administration

Extra comments. I feel bad for Oz, who spent a lot of time and effort on the latest version of C45 only to have the server hit rock bottom in popularity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:08:34 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
At this moment Outlands. I have always liked City but the lack of population is rather discouraging. Even in a few attempts to start is up, it's never gotten past maybe 8 players. Nobody gets on it, yet everyone gets on Outlands, so it makes sense that it'd be my current preference since the most RP is there.

Typically I like to spend time on 211 and just do the normal stuff, patrol and handle interrogations. I passive with other units as well to pass the time. When not doing that I try my best to muck around on my citizens and make a tolerable environment. I tried to start up the Church of Ralph a bit but the idea got shunned away from. Not like back on City 18.

Not so much. Usually if I lag it's my connection.

Well, more population for one. But other than that it couldn't help to bring more danger there like everyone has been trying to for Outlands? Only problem with that is that danger usually results in citizens being locked up in the UCH. So maybe have danger originate from D6 and then fan out into the plaza to give citizens a little taste of it? But I'd really like to see more robust RP I guess.

Me personally I just want to build up Section 3 back to its former glory when it was APEX. After that I would like to use SCYTHE to actually do kill houses and other things I have in mind with 777. Other than that I want to just RP with the best of the best and see what everyone is like.

Well, the lack of people on it to begin with is the huge turn off for me. If that wasn't the issue, I'd be playing it daily like I always did. I've always liked city.

More events maybe~? Maybe taking some aspects from the more populated communities around and mixing and matching them to make our own or have some of us sitting around and change some canon up a bit to make things different? I doubt more things like weapon addons or something will make city more interesting but over all doing something to get City out of the funk it's in right now should so. Jump starting the staleness from RP? Doing something to make city less uniform? Maybe start a code black? Hell, I don't know.

Extra comments.
To be honest, the city population is prolly gonna even out when Oz finishes up City 38. Everyone likes new maps, but whether it stays with the population is another matter entirely.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »
Outlands, it allows way more intriguing roleplay.

Sit on a bench, literally.

No.

RP for loyal citizens to actually do.

Something interesting for once.

It's really, really, boring.

RP for loyal citizens to actually do.

Extra comments.
None.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 03:51:57 AM »
As it stands, Outlands because it offers more freedom to do as you please.

Fun on City? Are you trying to be funny?

No, but City 45 is reaaaaaaaally bad.

A much smaller, more regulated CCA, a focus on citizen roleplay, and far less restrictions on what is available to do. A new map may also help with this.

I generally don't plan that far ahead with roleplay to know what I want to or don't want to do on a server, but I feel that there should be enough freedom to make the Combine influence minimal at best.

Like I said, the monstrosity that is the CCA detracts from the freedom that roleplay is all about.

As aforementioned, a massive overhaul and downsize of the CCA, thus resulting in more freedom and a focus on citizens.

Extra comments.
As many of you are probably aware, I don't even particularly like Half-Life 2 as a canon for oppression roleplay and think that other concepts would work much better.
Live free or die

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:52:59 AM »

Hang around with P3 for passive and do whatever is on the agenda for my character or a friends with any characters I am associated or have bonds with
It's fine.
Black and grey knights, P3 actually having an air of fear
PassiveRP in P3
Lack of activity, CCA begging for flag ups and refusing to flag down
People using iniative rather than waiting for someone else to do it e.g getting on the server.
Extra comments.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal