Author Topic: How to speak like a Vortigaunt.  (Read 11246 times)

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to speak like a Vortigaunt.
« on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
This guide is to teach new and old Vortigaunt players how to speak like one.

Chapter one: Greetings
Now if you've even played HL2 you should know Vortigaunts never say "Oh hai" They say something like "Greetings." Or "Ah, the Freeman." Something along those lines. Although you could just say a good old "Hello" You could add something to it. "Ah, The Mike Boone, hello."
Recap: When greeting someone say something along the lines of "Greetings" or "Ah, the Mike Boone" Your supposed to act like a wise sounding alien.

Chapter two: Saying someones name
Vortigaunts always refer to someone as The (First and last name)
IE: The Mike Boone
In some cases, you don't have to put "The" before their name. This only applies when your calling them. (IE: "Freeman!") Also, don't call someone by their nickname if they have one. (IE: Tessa 'Lovebird' Carmine) Just refer to them as "The Tessa Carmine"
Recap: Put "The" before saying someones name (IE: The Mike Boone) but don't put "The" if calling someone. (IE: Boone!) Also don't use the nickname in someones name (IE: Tessa 'Lovebird' Carmine) Just refer to them by their first and last name.

Chapter 3: General speaking
When speaking in general you kind of have to talk funny. So for example: If two people are fighting and refuse to stop don't say "Don't make me use my lightning powers on you!" Say something like "Must a greater power intervene?" As a vortigaunt, you must act and speak wisely, saying things, well, wise. Here are a few examples:
"The Combine slowly waste away"
"Halt"
"This will be suitable transportation"
"You humans are a strange race"
So on and so forth.

Chapter four: Refering to other Vortigaunts
When refering to your race refear to the vortigaunts in your race as your kin. The Vortigaunts also refear to something called "The Vortessence" which is a binding lifeforce. It remains untapped by humans, meaning you can't teach a human how to use the Vortessence. In basic terms, The Vortessence allows Vortigaunts to speak to each other telepathicly.

I hope this guide helped you speak and act more like a Vortigaunt. I will add more when it is needed. I got most of my infomation from the Combine OverWiki.

Roleplaying as a Vortigaunt is very challenging and requires a fluent command of the English language. You need an extensive vocabulary, which entails, among other things, a running knowledge of connotation and denotation. You should be skilled in saying the same thing in at least five different ways. When I play on my Vortigaunt character, I usually have two main tabs in my Steam Overlay. Firstly, I keep the Vortigaunt Quotes section of the wiki page handy. This allows me to view examples of in-game Vort-speak, and is extremely helpful in getting ideas on how to phrase sentences, and getting an overall grasp of syntax. In addition to the quotes section, read the rest of the wiki article for general information about your Vort character. The second tab I have ready in the Overlay is an online thesaurus. The thesaurus will likely become your best friend when roleplaying as a Vortigaunt. Every single thing you say and do should have a subtle, alien-but-rustic sound to it. As you roleplay on your Vort character, note which words you seem to use commonly. After your game session, tab to the thesaurus and look up the chosen word. Examine similar words and pick the ones you think would be a good addition to your Vort-speak vocabulary. Remember to take breaks, because when you get mentally tired, the quality of your roleplay diminishes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:42:42 PM by Darkshifter98 »
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Re: How to speak like a Vortigaunt.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
This is cool and all, but CG has no vortigaunts.

Offline Pirate Robot

• DEAD
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
We do Martiner....

Yankee and several other peeps.
Check HL2RP auths

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
We do Martiner....

Check HL2RP auths
Are they on occasionally?

Offline Pirate Robot

• DEAD
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
We do Martiner....

Check HL2RP auths
Are they on occasionally?
No not really....
Just don't expect to see them often.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:52:21 PM »
          Roleplaying as a Vortigaunt is very challenging and requires a fluent command of the English language. You need an extensive vocabulary, which entails, among other things, a running knowledge of connotation and denotation. You should be skilled in saying the same thing in at least five different ways. When I play on my Vortigaunt character, I usually have two main tabs in my Steam Overlay. Firstly, I keep the Vortigaunt Quotes section of the wiki page handy. This allows me to view examples of in-game Vort-speak, and is extremely helpful in getting ideas on how to phrase sentences, and getting an overall grasp of syntax. In addition to the quotes section, read the rest of the wiki article for general information about your Vort character. The second tab I have ready in the Overlay is an online thesaurus. The thesaurus will likely become your best friend when roleplaying as a Vortigaunt. Every single thing you say and do should have a subtle, alien-but-rustic sound to it. As you roleplay on your Vort character, note which words you seem to use commonly. After your game session, tab to the thesaurus and look up the chosen word. Examine similar words and pick the ones you think would be a good addition to your Vort-speak vocabulary. Remember to take breaks, because when you get mentally tired, the quality of your roleplay diminishes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:02:38 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
I find that the way the vortigaunts speak is close to the same of shakesperian language, although they do put the word the in front of names it is not too hard to make up your own phrases. Just give it a shot and see what people think.

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Added to the main post.
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline Swoots

• pounding horse pussy since 1847
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
This thesaurus might help some people, type in any word and it comes up with more complicated and "wise" words for you to use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal